PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic tile flooring

Air Randy
01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Does anyone in the club sell and install ceramic tile flooring? Or know someone who does? The :Princess: wants to redo the main floor in ceramic tile and we would like to get good quality stuff for the best price installed.

jjhancock
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I can't remember the name, but if you take Santa Fe south just past Mississippi, there's a huge carpet / tile / flooring place on the right hand side. I got all of my porcelain tile there and I got a good deal as well. If you are not set on ceramic for a particular reason, you should look into porcelain. I think porcelain tile is more resistant to breakage and is thus better suited for floors than ceramic. My realtor also told me that porcelain tile is something people love to hear when they're in the market to buy a home, so resale value may come into play as well.

I can't help you out with an installer because I did all of it on my own. It's not very difficult if you take your time, and it's quite satisfying when complete. The only thing I would do differently is go with a darker grout color than I did as it appears somewhat discolored after a year or so. Next time I tile a floor I will be using a darker grout color.

Good luck!

RockRunner
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
You can always regrout the floor. I have done it several times in different homes. Actualy thinking about redoing the kitchen in the future.

jjhancock
01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
RockRunner - what's the best method of removing the grout? I had to remove some grout in a shower once and the dremel bit I bought wasn't worth a damn. What's the trick to this to be effective?

Blackdiamond72
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Agreed on the porcelain tile over ceramic, although its usually more expensive. I installed all the tile in my house as well, its not hard, just take time, use a level on uneven floors and run chalk lines. Spacers are helpful also.

JJ, I have used dremels in the past, it helps if you use a grout removal tool as well, you can find them in HD and Lowes by the tile equipment. It looks like a carpet knife with one tooth from a saw blade, carbide tip.

jjhancock
01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Ceramic is definitely more expensive, but I think it's worth it, and I think I still got away with ~ $220 for my bathroom and my kitchen with tile left over for my front entry way. It's worth checking out at the discount flooring place I mentioned above.

Blackdiamond72 - the dremel with whatever $10 tip they sent me got junked in about 5 minutes and is now worthless. I must have not gotten the right one, or not been doing it correctly. I ended up using a hammer and chisel to get out the small amount that I needed to and re-did it. I'm secretly hoping that taking a toothbrush and some industrial cleaner to my grout will make it look like new again, at which point I can simply do a better job of sealing it this time around with the hopes that it will retain it's original color for the duration this time. If not, I will have to get those tools and redo all of it.

RockRunner
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
As mentioned before, grout removal tool at HD. That won't always work because the size of the grout line. I have used all of the following tools to redo grout for myself and my customers;
Knife
scissors
nails not mine but ten penny nails
xacto knife, works pretty well
a putty knife, also works real well
screwdriver(s) depending on size

basically you need to use your imagination, but be careful when dragging the tool down the line. You can end up scratching your tile or whatever you are working on.

Second is use a really good sealer and apply it twice a week apart, will last you much longer.

Inukshuk
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I can give you three installer names and a few thoughts on suppliers. The Santa Fe places are mostly design showrooms. Helpful if you can use those services, not needed if you can pick the tile you want at a place like CapCo or Arizona Tile. On the other hand, a designer can be super helpful and since they get 10-20% off retail its like free to you anyway.

Tile installation and materials prices vary greatly.

Subfloor preparation will be the greatest variable in a remodel situation.

How I know is that I am spending $8,700 on tile this week for three houses I am building (plus installation).

Air Randy
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
My wife will decide whether she will go with porcelain or ceramic;

I know I could install the tile myself but frankly I don't enjoy that type of work, I don't have the time to do it and a pro will make it look better

I really don't care about the best way to remove grout (see above)

Yes, please give me the names of recommended installers, I want someone who is very good at what they do and they do it for a fair price. Also recommendations on places to buy quality materials at fair prices.

corsair23
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Assuming you have someone install the tile, and go through them for the purchase of said tile, then this may be of zero help to you :) - But, if you're looking for a place to buy tile etc., or someone else is, you might look at the place that is just east of University on County Line Road on the south side. Next to the Sunflower Market and near Target.

Can't remember the name even though I drive by it twice per day :( - Big place and they seem to have a good selection...Price wise I don't know but it is some sort of wholesale or discount place...

Blackdiamond72
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I had an issue with using a sandstone color grout and then having to do sheetrock repair in the room. Needless to say, the gypsum got into the grout lines and made them "whiteish" as the :Princess: says. I ended up using a grout color pen, and then resealed. Held up since, been 13 months.

Agreed on the seal once, wait about a week, seal again. I sealed the charcoal grout on my countertops 4 times. Only a 16th inch line too.

FJ 432
01-21-2010, 08:37 AM
World of Tile has been my choice of finding good prices on discontinued runs. These prices are negotiable so I would keep that in mind especially if they're trying to get rid of it. Secondly, it's been my experience that materials such as underlayment (backer board, grout, screws for the backer board you really can't beat a Home Depot or Lowe's.

Finally my Father-in-Law does small jobs for Service Magic on tile work, Send me a PM if you're interested in having him look at your project.

Regards, Randy

LARGEONE
01-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I did my own tile (over 1000 SF) at our condo and found "Tile for Less" (Aurora on the service road of 225 b/w Mississippi & Iliff) to have some of the best prices. I bought porceline (sp?) tile which is VERY hard and holds up well to the beating it gets from renters at the condo. It looks really nice as well, almost as good as the natural stone. Natural stone looks the best (travertine, etc), but porceline takes a beating. I think the difference b/w porceline and ceramic is the difference in temp that it is fired at...porceline is REALLY HARD. I've dropped pans on it at the condo which would have cracked ceramic, and it didn't do any damage. I can also say that it cuts a little slower than the ceramic work I've done on a few bathrooms.

As for the grout color, I would go as dark as the tile colors will allow. The tile looks good for a long time...the grout is the thing that usually makes a tile floor start looking ugly. I have found that a darker brown, not black or really dark, makes the best color for floors. If you can find a tile that has some shades that allow the dark brown tile, then it works well.

Here are some pics of the porcelin tile I used.

Inukshuk
01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
My current supplier is:

Connie Chavez
Total Floors, Inc.
640 W. Tennessee Ave.
Denver, CO 80223
Cell: (303) 718-3349
Fax: (303) 722-5913
connie@totalfloors.biz

My installer is David Martinez - he has not finished yet but we checked him out thoroughly enough to hire him. I'll PM his number since its his cell.

I can give you more Tuesday, I have a friend's wedding to go to.