PDA

View Full Version : Car Tire Recomendations?

coax
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
So...not sure if this falls under chat or tech but I'll start here. Does anyone have recommendations on brands of car tires that they've had experience with? Not so much concerned with specific models, but I'm having a hard time find any reliable reviews about which brands are of a higher quality than others. Also seems like there are a bunch more companies selling car tires than, say, AT's and MT's for the cruisers.

Kind of a multi purpose question as both my dad and I are going to need new tires for our respective cars (Honda Fit and Mazda 3) here in the near future.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
:cheers:

Corey

FJBRADY
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Michillen (sp) can't go wrong

RockRunner
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
X2

Got them for my parents car and now they have them on all three. They know nothing about tires and left the first set to me. After that they went and got them for themselves because they liked them so much. Never left them stranded.

corsair23
01-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I haven't bought car tires in like forever...

But, I recall some recents threads on this very subject but I could only find this one:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11134

Hulk
01-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Best tires I have ever owned:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
They are way $$$. But their traction on ice is amazing. Made in Finland, where snow and ice is a way of life.

Link (http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10924176&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta%20R)

DaveInDenver
01-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Best tires I have ever owned:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
They are way $$$. But their traction on ice is amazing. Made in Finland, where snow and ice is a way of life.

Link (http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10924176&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta%20R)
Winter tires are nice for their use, but don't work year 'round. They wear out fast in the summer, really fast. We toasted a set of Blizzaks in about 15 months by not changing them in the summer. That was an expensive mistake.

So far happy with these Pirelli tires we got for the Jetta, but not the end all, be all of tires. There are so many options, it's not like truck tires. In my case I run 33x10.50, so I have two choices and both are BF Goodrich... Anyway I got opinions and looked into them but some where so expensive (no way I'm spending more for 15" car tires than my truck). I just set a budget and went to Discount with a few that I thought I wanted. Turned out that what they had in stock ended up making the decision for me.

SteveH
01-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Often Sams Club or Discount has some sort of cash back deal on 4 tires by BFG or Michelin - if cost is much of a consideration. Usually, it's $50 or $80 back. Also, you can read user reviews of individual tires on the discounttire.com website. I've always been happy with Michelin - they seem rounder than other tires (read: smoother feeling at 80 mph), irrespective of balance.

coax
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. At least for my dad's care I've narrowed it down to three:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, ~134/tire
BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V ~100/Tire
Continental ContiProContact ~100/Tire

As noted, there's so many brands of (I'll call them) midrange tires it's a bit daunting. I'm sure some are a great value+performance, but to me it seems like kinda a crap shoot. Dad doesnt want to go with the 2 sets of tires; they'll use the Tundra when it snows hard, so hopefully one of the above will work at least decent in mild snow.

Continental is the only brand I don't have experience with from the 3 above. With the 70 dollar rebate the Michelin's look pretty good.

FJBRADY
01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. At least for my dad's care I've narrowed it down to three:

As noted, there's so many brands of (I'll call them) midrange tires it's a bit daunting. I'm sure some are a great value+performance, but to me it seems like kinda a crap shoot. Dad doesnt want to go with the 2 sets of tires; they'll use the Tundra when it snows hard, so hopefully one of the above will work at least decent in mild snow.

Continental is the only brand I don't have experience with from the 3 above. With the 70 dollar rebate the Michelin's look pretty good.

Go Michelin's they are worth the extra $136 in my opinion!

Uncle Ben
01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
go Michelin's They Are Worth The Extra $136 In My Opinion!

X2!

DaveInDenver
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Our car had Continentals on it when we bought it. Sorry that I don't remember which ones, though. But they may have been the original set put on in Wolfsburg because the sidewall information was in German. That means they went almost 70K miles, which is pretty ridiculous for the OE tires from my experience. However you'll note that I did not put another set of Conti tires on it, hard to find good reviews of them. OTOH I love their tires on my bike. Shrug.

corsair23
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Tirerack.com usually has some helpful reviews...One thing I like is that you can filter the reviews and often find people running the tire you are looking at on the same vehicle you'll be running them on. IMO that is helpful because I'm a firm believer that some tires work great on one vehicle and work like crap on another. Case in point the GY Wrangler RSAs. I had those on my Durango and they absolutely sucked on wet/snow/ice from day 1 whether in RWD, AWD, or 4WD. We're running a fairly worn down set on the 80 and they work fine :rolleyes:...I still wouldn't buy them again but I really expected them to suck based on my previous real world experience with them.

coax
01-22-2010, 07:36 PM
... That means they went almost 70K miles, which is pretty ridiculous for the OE tires from my experience. ....OTOH I love their tires on my bike. Shrug.

That is crazy, I got barley 20k out of the Goodyear eagle's that were OE on my mazda. I too have wondered about the comparison of bike to car tires in terms of quality. Though I am pretty sure that some Maxxis tires on the mazda might be overkill :lmao:

Tirerack.com usually has some helpful reviews...One thing I like is that you can filter the reviews and often find people running the tire you are looking at on the same vehicle you'll be running them on. IMO that is helpful because I'm a firm believer that some tires work great on one vehicle and work like crap on another. Case in point the GY Wrangler RSAs. I had those on my Durango and they absolutely sucked on wet/snow/ice from day 1 whether in RWD, AWD, or 4WD. We're running a fairly worn down set on the 80 and they work fine :rolleyes:...I still wouldn't buy them again but I really expected them to suck based on my previous real world experience with them.

Yep I did poke around on tire rack a bit, and the Michelin's did pretty well, both in the review's and the "tests". Actually all of them did pretty good. I'll have to search and see if I can find someone with the same vehicle. Never knew the filter by vehicle option was on the review page. :cheers: Now if only there was an option to filter out responses that are all in caps or = "These tires are awesome/junk".