PDA

View Full Version : Explain This

pmccumber
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I was just looking at pictures on Utah and saw this picture. Why does this Jeep have a wheel in the air? Doesn't look like it is even attempting to flex.

http://www.moabphototours.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1816

Am I missing something?

Red_Chili
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
There is probably little to no weight on the front. It is not immediately obvious until you look closely, but the incline is pretty steep. That, and a little forward inertia, would loft any vehicle's wheel all things being equal.

The narrator's definition of 'creep up' may differ from most. :lmao:

Man Jerk
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
My guess is the photog caught it mid bounce. They had to be moving pretty quick.

pmccumber
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
You're right, it is very steep. I guess that makes sense. But it does look incredibly rigid.

I was browsing some of the pictures in that sequence and they talked about spending hours on getting out of Bobby's Hole. Yeesh! I did it in November and it was steep, rocky, loose hill but I don't remember it taking more than 10 minutes. They said they helped walk a couple motorcycles out and it it an hour just to do that.

MDH33
01-25-2010, 08:33 AM
It's a photochop picture. They just pasted their driveway *eep pic into that hill climb pic. ;)

farnhamstj
01-25-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 08:45 AM
:lmao:

In all fairness, Yeeps flex pretty darn well. IF you know enough to disconnect the swaybar. These are recreationists, not serious wheelers. It is easy to lose perspective.

(especially when you drive an uber-capable Yota...)

nuclearlemon
01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

x2

Squishy!
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Ya I know I don't understand. I love the looks I get from Jeep guys. I try not to get competitive, but when a dude rolls up in his '09 Rubicon with its 22" wheels I laugh when he gives me the "that's right my Heep can school your Toyota!" look. Laughing made him angry...

FJBRADY
01-25-2010, 09:24 AM
I get all kind of Jeep props when I am in the 40.....FJC not so much :confused:

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 09:38 AM
It's the driver and the builder, not the ride.

I can envision several futures where I would end up driving a Heep. More so since Toyota abandoned my style. No, it would not be stock, but what would?

DaveInDenver
01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I can envision several futures where I would end up driving a Heep.
Funny, can't imagine a world so bleak that I would be driving a Jeep. Hey, that even rhymes, bleak and Jeep. Just yesterday it occurred to me that I really am happy with my truck. Yeah, it certainly lacks the super bling and awesome capability in comparison to modern stuff and all of your trucks. But I trust it to get me there and back wherever 'there' happens to be, Home Depot, work, Loveland, Rubicon. Too many TSBs and 'known issues' to be corrected on other junk.

FJBRADY
01-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I get all kind of Jeep props when I am in the 40.....FJC not so much :confused:

It's the driver and the builder, not the ride.

I'm just talking about driving to Starbucks here in the Ranch!

RedCreeper
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Reading this post and being on both sides the the spectrum a saying come to mind.... REAL JEEPS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT..... What is true in many situations is it is the driver not the ride. Wheel base,speed and a fast shutter speed i would think has something to do with it also. Sorry gang still love my jeeps. Old school jeep more so. After test driving a JK and a FJC you see what i got. In stock form safety and what they can do Toyota won. This is a war that will never end. haha

Jacket
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
The caption on the picture does say he's "creeping." I agree with you Paul - seems like if he was "creeping" that front end would flex more.

TIMZTOY
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
It's a photoshop thing, you wouldn't understand:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Funny, can't imagine a world so bleak that I would be driving a Jeep. ... Too many TSBs and 'known issues' to be corrected on other junk.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall
Wait a few months, Toyota is following the GM/Chrysler model... :lmao:

NEW YORK – Toyota said Thursday it is recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals that can become stuck, the latest in a string of quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The latest move comes just months after Toyota Motor Corp. recalled 4.2 million vehicles over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was blamed for several crashes, including an accident involving a Lexus that accelerated to more than 120 mph before crashing in San Diego, killing four people.

DaveInDenver
01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall
Wait a few months, Toyota is following the GM/Chrysler model... :lmao:
Oh man, a floor mat issue, now that's cause for concern. With our 4Runner we just tossed the stupid floor mats in the trash, recall solved. Had we been able to afford to keep the thing I'm sure I would be in the same boat as with my truck, a section of worn carpet but still chugging along 250,000 miles on the clock.

pmccumber
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
I bet the sways weren't disconnected. I have a buddy who owns one and he makes that point all the time. Because the more I look at it, it looks more and more conspicuous. It isn't like it is going over a hole. I just find it hard to believe that thing isn't flexing at all. It has to be the sways.

rover67
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh man, a floor mat issue, now that's cause for concern. With our 4Runner we just tossed the stupid floor mats in the trash, recall solved. Had we been able to afford to keep the thing I'm sure I would be in the same boat as with my truck, a section of worn carpet but still chugging along 250,000 miles on the clock.

they thought it was the floormats at first, now it's something else.

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Toyota has had a real string of bad luck on some non-trivial TSB / recall issues.

subzali
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
there might be a small rock under that tire that's keeping it from dropping in the apparent "hole".

Uncle Ben
01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
The facts in the case are whats really disturbing! Toyota is doing the recall because they care about public image even though it was the media who made this an issue! The vehicle that it happened to actually was used and had after market mats in it that didn't fit well. The detail guy is at fault for leaving them in there after it was processed. The test driver was a cop so that caught serious public interest. The cop did put the car in neutral at one point but for some reason put it back into gear. The whole scenario is ....FAIL!

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Was that the scenario where the four people got killed in the Lexus?

Don't get me wrong, I am pro-Toyota (obviously)... but not in an unmitigated sense. Toyota is changing and I do not believe for the better in all cases.

Uncle Ben
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Was that the scenario where the four people got killed in the Lexus?

Yup RX400 I believe. That was the root of this whole recall! The dealership was at fault as the ill fitting mats had caused an earlier malfunction and they ignored the problem. After this and the huge law suits that followed the media put doubt on the integrity of the vehicle. Toy knew a heavily publicized recall would be the only way to curb the bogus media hype of faulty cars. Media strikes again!

Nay
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Unlike what at least 80 series owners experience (I don't know if the 80 is a typical Toyota SFA swaybar design), connected Jeep swaybars mean essentially zero front flex. It would not be unusual to expect what you see in that picture (which still looks Photochopped to me, the shadow on the driver's front tire just looks wrong).

The Rubicon has a push button electronic front swaybar disconnect feature (which if it really works is fantastic because swaybar discos on a flexy front end are a true PITA to get lined back up), but clearly even at that level things are not idiot proof.

It has nothing to do with incline. The swaybar disconnected Jeep four link front end flexes like crazy - you are never going to pick up a tire in a situation like that, particularly with the four door Unlimited wheelbase.

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Not a huge fan of the media, but... it no longer seems to be the floormats?

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
The Rubicon has a push button electronic front swaybar disconnect feature (which if it really works is fantastic because swaybar discos on a flexy front end are a true PITA to get lined back up), but clearly even at that level things are not idiot proof.

Now, that's pretty cool...

Nay
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Not a huge fan of the media, but... it no longer seems to be the floormats?

No, its seems that Toyota wanted to be GM and now they are.

Did I just say that out loud?

:lmao:

AxleIke
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm...Coming from the world of IFS, that picture looks perfectly normal! :D :D:D

Who needs flex!? :D

pmccumber
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Unlike what at least 80 series owners experience (I don't know if the 80 is a typical Toyota SFA swaybar design), connected Jeep swaybars mean essentially zero front flex. It would not be unusual to expect what you see in that picture (which still looks Photochopped to me, the shadow on the driver's front tire just looks wrong).

It has nothing to do with incline. The swaybar disconnected Jeep four link front end flexes like crazy - you are never going to pick up a tire in a situation like that, particularly with the four door Unlimited wheelbase.

Based on this then, they probably didn't know enough to use the swaybar disconnects.

Here is another shot from the ordeal this group went through.

http://www.moabphototours.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1812

An HOUR to get the motorcycles up the hill?!?

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
If my eyes are focusing correctly, that is a KTM 990 Adventure.

Yeah, I can see taking an hour to get that behemoth up that hill... :lmao:

I have a friend who raced one in Baja... but he is crazy, and came in far from first despite being an A class enduro rider. Still a cool bike.
He could get that bike up that hill in about 45 seconds. Few others can.

corsair23
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I can see taking an hour to get that behemoth up that hill... :lmao:

Especially pushing it...Isn't the point of owning a motorcycle to "ride" it rather than push it :confused: :hill:

Red_Chili
01-25-2010, 06:14 PM
You've never actually RIDDEN a 1000cc 'dirt' bike now, HAVE you??!? :lmao: