PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle

Lars
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess it was 24 years agot today that the challenger exploded. I remember being in school watching it happen.

Mendocino
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I remember this very well. I was in college and saw the news and was stunned. About a year later I went to work at NASA doing human factors reaseach for the (then) future International Space Station. NASA was a pretty gloomy place in the late 80s but I sure learned a lot. Many of those experiences in the 40x80 wind tunnel, space station simulator and the High Bay (where the centrifuge was in the movie All the Right Stuff) have formed my view of technology and its adoption. Wow-thanks for firing thos memories Lars!

FJBRADY
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I was a freshman at the University of Florida having lunch at the Rathskeller when the news broke.....never forget the stunned looks on everyone around me.

MDH33
01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I remember this very well. I was in college and ...

I was a freshman at the University of Florida...

I was in 7th grade. :hill:

nakman
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Yup, 8th grade here. But still remember it well! They set up a TV in the library so kids could watch the replay.

rover67
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
wow, thanks for the reminder. i can't believe it was so long ago already.

corsair23
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
For some reason I remember being up skiing when the news broke...As old as I am though my memory is probably faulty...

Sad day for sure

farnhamstj
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I was in 5th grade. I remember watching it in school on the tv on a cart. I was into model rockets, I made a model space shuttle once. Like this one, only mine didn't look that good. http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_est_space_shuttle.shtml

PabloCruise
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow...

Very important moment in history to remember.

I read the book Riding Rockets not too long ago. Great book from an astronaut's perspective. He was very critical of NASA mgmt.

DaveInDenver
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Frosh in high school when it happened. We were watching it on TV in class. Never would have guessed back then that I would have stuff flying on the remaining three.

FWIW, I've seen live a launch, STS-78 back in June 1996. Happened to be a morning launch and we were there. There are only three more Shuttle missions ever, seeing a launch is very memorable...

PabloCruise
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Challenger_flight_51-l_crew.jpg/750px-Challenger_flight_51-l_crew.jpg

RockRunner
01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Was in college when this happened, in the cafeteria have a late breakfast/early lunch. Some girls screamed and started crying, we all just kind of stood there with our jaws dropped.

I have been lucky enough also to see a space shuttle launch and some of the other rockets go up from the cape. Working for Lockheed has really been a cool experience from the space part and the IT part. The Mars lander's were build right here at the Waterton campus, going into the clean rooms to see them was amazing.

I can't believe they did not say anything on the news about this.

Big John
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I was an over the road truck driver at the time and was in FL. going down I-95 when it launched. Pulled over to watch and when it blew up everyone watching thought it was the boosters seperating and didn't think anything of it. Found out a few minutes later on the radio what had happened and was stunned.

Red_Chili
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Most of you are KIDS!!
I was working as a QA on the Peacekeeper avionics at the rocket ranch in Waterton when it happened. Across the hall was the line where the PICs were made (pyrotechnic initiator controllers, used to separate stages).

Instant lockdown. Suddenly everything was evidence. Air Force was all over it. Then the horror of thinking something we did might have contributed.

It's really amazing the O-rings could have been produced and used in such a way as to cause the explosion. But it was a lesson- government procedure cannot cover every possible mistake, sometimes you just need a dose of common sense and engineering knowledge.

And the will to use it. And to power to make it so despite politics.

Corbet
01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I was at home sick from school, 7th grade(not really sick, just wanted a day off;)) and remember it as one of my first negative opinions of the news media. Constant repetition of really no real news other than the obvious. A tragic event with stupid news reporters scrambling around speculating on something they knew nothing about. OK rant off.