PDA

View Full Version : New 1972 FJ40 Windshield for sale

kvanoort
01-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I finally got around to replacing my cracked and pitted windshield on my 1972 FJ40 and the difference is amazing -- I can actually see through the glass! To get the same thickness as OE glass (.26 inches) I had to have the glass special ordered and cut using an OE glass template. The size of glass was large enough for two windshields so I have an extra for sale. First $125 takes it.

corsair23
01-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Kent,

'72 is probably different from a '77 frame huh? If not I'd be interested :)

Uncle Ben
01-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Kent,

I'll take seconds! Can your give dimensions? :thumb::thumb:

Old40Dog
01-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Kent, I'll take it for my "69. If it doesn't work out for the others :beer: Jeff or Kevin, we could have two cut from one sheet if dimensions don't work out for one of you and probably save a few bucks.

kvanoort
01-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I'll take seconds! Can your give dimensions? :thumb::thumb:

The windshield I have will fit 40's between 1965 - 12/74 (wiper motor at top of windshield frame).

1/75 - 1984 is a different size (wiper motor at bottom of windshield frame).

nuclearlemon
01-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Kent,

72 won't fit in 77.

kvanoort
01-29-2010, 06:42 PM
72 won't fit in 77.

Correct.

Uncle Ben
01-29-2010, 06:42 PM
:cheer::cheer::woot::woot:72 won't fit in 77.

Old40Dog
01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
:cheer::cheer::woot::woot:

Kevin, Not speakin' for Jeff...or for you....but if we can get two 'shields cut from a piece of glass for a "reasonable" price...

I have a glass guy contact I can call....if the "green" tint of the older 40's glass cut from the same glass used in the ol' International trucks...(if yer' not an old...dog like me you probably don't remember the old "IH" farm trucks...but maybe.....ya do) similar to that used in the 40's and we can get them cut to whatever you need....just need the dimensions..or better yet the ol' 'shield for a template. Let me know whatz'ca need. I'll see what i can do.:thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Kevin, Not speakin' for Jeff...or for you....but if we can get two 'shields cut from a piece of glass for a "reasonable" price...

I have a glass guy contact I can call....if the "green" tint of the older 40's glass cut from the same glass used in the ol' International trucks...(if yer' not an old...dog like me you probably don't remember the old "IH" farm trucks...but maybe.....ya do) similar to that used in the 40's and we can get them cut to whatever you need....just need the dimensions..or better yet the ol' 'shield for a template. Let me know whatz'ca need. I'll see what i can do.:thumb:

Windsheilds get broke....I just want glass for the next time I need it. Of course I remember Binder trucks....I did growed up on a farm ya know....

corsair23
01-29-2010, 10:08 PM
:cheer::cheer::woot::woot:

No need to rub it in Mr. Second in line :hill:

Looks like "no soup for me" so passing the torch on to Mr. Pompoms :D

Uncle Ben
01-30-2010, 08:04 AM
No need to rub it in Mr. Second in line :hill:

Looks like soup for me so passing the torch on to Mr. Pompoms :D

:lmao::lmao:

gr8fulabe
01-30-2010, 09:20 AM
I guess I will put my name in line, just in case everyone else passes on this. If it will fit a Sept. 74 (which I think it should) I would like to be next in line please.
Thanks,
Abe

kvanoort
01-30-2010, 06:37 PM
I can't tell from the thread who wants the windshield and who doesn't.

PM me if you're serious. Thanks.

corsair23
01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I can't tell from the thread who wants the windshield and who doesn't.

PM me if you're serious. Thanks.

Kevin, aka Uncle Ben wants it :thumb:

kvanoort
01-30-2010, 07:57 PM
1 - UncleBen
2 - Old40Dog
3 - gr8fulabe

Uncle Ben - Please pm me.

Old40Dog
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Sorry Kent! Didn't mean to :confused: confuse ya!

Windsheilds get broke....I just want glass for the next time I need it. Of course I remember Binder trucks....I did growed up on a farm ya know....

Wew, Kevin! That's good news....didn't wanna be the only one that was drivin' the Farmall around the barnyard as a youngster :hill: I could hardly reach the darned pedals :lmao:

If any other 40 owner's are interested in a new windshield, we can get together and have some cut, just need the dimensions better yet a template for the wipers on the bottom set-up. They usually get two of these per sheet, so we should be able to save a few $$$ anyway. Just let me know via PM if you're interested. I'd like to get a replacement for mine before Moab.

Uncle Ben
01-30-2010, 11:54 PM
It would be very helpful on this thread if measurements could be posted! The window should fit early frames but there was a couple vent variations. If it fits my pre 67 frame I want it and have cash ready.

kvanoort
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
The glass measures: 49 1/4" - 50 1/4" x 15 3/8"

Uncle Ben
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
The glass measures: 49 1/4" - 50 1/4" x 15 3/8"

Dang! Missed this post! That is the size I need. Exchange at the meeting tonight?

kvanoort
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Dang! Missed this post! That is the size I need. Exchange at the meeting tonight?

PM sent.

kvanoort
02-07-2010, 02:16 PM
1 - UncleBen - Please call.
2 - Old40Dog
3 - gr8fulabe

Uncle Ben - Please pm me.

Air Randy
02-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I guess I will put my name in line, just in case everyone else passes on this. If it will fit a Sept. 74 (which I think it should) I would like to be next in line please.
Thanks,
Abe

You guys do know you can call Elite Glass and they will cut and install a windshield for you for $140 installed? I have had them do 2 for me already, you can choose clear or tinted. I don't know if they are .026 thick but who cares? They fit fine and don't leak, they can even do a new gasket for you too.

Uncle Ben
02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
You guys do know you can call Elite Glass and they will cut and install a windshield for you for $140 installed? I have had them do 2 for me already, you can choose clear or tinted. I don't know if they are .026 thick but who cares? They fit fine and don't leak, they can even do a new gasket for you too.

Toy still stock the later model windshields and with discount you can get glass and weatherstrip for right around $100!

Old40Dog
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM

But what fun would that be Randy? :lmao:

The tinted ones are much nicer. IMO, Safelite glass that Elite uses is like cold butter and pits pretty easily. I had one installed in my 72-40 once in Denver and by the time I drove up I-70 to get home in some hard crosswinds, it was already pitted.

Randy, have you had a different experiencewith the 2 you bought?

kvanoort
02-07-2010, 06:47 PM
The tinted ones are much nicer.

Is the tint a slight green? That was an option but I went with clear glass like the OE.

Air Randy
02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
But what fun would that be Randy? :lmao:

The tinted ones are much nicer. IMO, Safelite glass that Elite uses is like cold butter and pits pretty easily. I had one installed in my 72-40 once in Denver and by the time I drove up I-70 to get home in some hard crosswinds, it was already pitted.

Randy, have you had a different experiencewith the 2 you bought?

I had to replace my first Elite windshield for 2 reasons: I welded my roll cage inside the cab without covering the inside of the windshield and all of the little black spots of welding slag embedded themselves into the plexiglas coating :hill: I picked off the big ones and lived with the rest until I rolled the rig at Moab and finished off the windshield completely.

My opinion would be that all windshield glass is made very similar as far as being coated with plastic to make it safety glass. That is the stuff that gets pitted, not the glass itself. I also see windshields as almost being routine service replacements in Colorado. Between sand pitting and rocks getting flung around I've never had a windshield last longer than 2 seasons anyways.

rover67
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I had to replace my first Elite windshield for 2 reasons: I welded my roll cage inside the cab without covering the inside of the windshield and all of the little black spots of welding slag embedded themselves into the plexiglas coating :hill: I picked off the big ones and lived with the rest until I rolled the rig at Moab and finished off the windshield completely.

My opinion would be that all windshield glass is made very similar as far as being coated with plastic to make it safety glass. That is the stuff that gets pitted, not the glass itself. I also see windshields as almost being routine service replacements in Colorado. Between sand pitting and rocks getting flung around I've never had a windshield last longer than 2 seasons anyways.

That's one thing you have to watch out for. Sparks from a grinder will do the same amount of damage. And it's the glass that gets pitted... try it on any spare peice of glass... windshields have the plastic in the middle.

I learned it the hard way on a customers nice brand new Porsche Cup Car that we were putting a few bars in. I ignored my bosses instructions to cover up the glass and my paycheck for the week got significantly smaller.

Old40Dog
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Is the tint a slight green?

Yes, it is...I'll only go with tinted in my 40 when I replace it. I have one now and I really like it, but its pretty pitted and should be replaced sooner rather than later.