PDA

View Full Version : 60 Series Cut Rear Quarters

Crash
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
If any of you 60 series owners are considering cutting your rear quarter panels and need some inspiration, I suggest that you check out Carlton (CBone) Bonilla's 60. He brought his freshly finished truck by today and I have to say that his design and final product is every bit as nice as what Oleg did on my 62 without being a knock-off of Oleg's work. Should have taken a picture but didn't. CBone, it wouldn't be bragging if you posted up a pic or two of your fine work. Well done!

rover67
01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Post up pics Carlton!!

CBone
01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks Steve, I will take a few shots tomorrow and post.

rover67
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
of course you took pictures of the process......

nuclearlemon
01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
how many times does someone have to say it....
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!! :D

RockRunner
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
how many times does someone have to say it....
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!!! :D

Apparently more than once :D

CBone
01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
pics will post tomorrow morning, but unfortunately, the process was in my head and not on film

Jacket
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
:ranger:

LARGEONE
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Com'on CBone...this may inspire a few more people to buy 60's!!!

CBone
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Not unlike most 60s, my rear quarter panels were in pretty bad shape. Additionally, after removing what I think Ige calls the snake mirrors (those terrible long, skinny chrome trim pieces on the rocker panels that do nothing but trap water and cause rust) I discovered some decent rust on the rocker panels, plus small pockets of rust on the lower corners of all four doors. After looking at Steve's truck, and a few other ideas on MUD, I figured the best thing to do was cut the quarters out completely and treat the rocker panels and door edges. Since I am not a welder, I wasn't sure how to proceed. Several of you graciously offered to help and teach, but I found a guy in my neighborhood who agreed to do the welding, if I could clearly show him what I needed. I did not think to take pictures of the entire process, but probably should have, ah 20-20 hindsight!

Here is a shot of what I was starting with. Notice not only the cancerous growth on the quarter, but once the snake mirrors were taken off, there's some small rust pockets on the rockers.

CBone
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
For the quarter panels, I marked two lines on the outside section, one to cut and one where he would bend the metal as a welding surface. On the inside, just one cut, about 1/2" lower than the outter cut. I made the cuts, took it to the welder, he fashioned a lower plate, and bent the edge on the outer piece. Then he spot welded the lower plate he made to the edge, bent the lower plate and spot welded the inner lip to the plate--hope this makes sense? Then he seam sealed everything and we primed it. I then sanded all the rust on the rockers and door corners with my drill and wire sanding wheel. I also found those black wheels--the ones that are probably releasing all kinds of asbestos into my lungs, worked really well on the rust. I treated all the rust with a coat of Rust Bullet--I like that stuff! Taped a line on the outside of the truck just above all my rust areas, sanded the paint and ultimately applied a liner type paint, covering the new cut quarter panels, all the Rust Bullet, the door edges and rocker panels.

Now, I just need to figure out some quarter panel sliders to protect that exposed tail end and of course, get some OME and new shoes to get everything up a few inches!

Crash
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Looking good! I do like how the quarters taper towards the back. Oleg's little quarter sliders are very simple in design and very effective at protecting the rear and covering up the now-exposed frame rails. Keep that friend with the welding skills happy and maybe he can work something out for the rear sliders. Probably work out a modified tail pipe exit too. Those skinny chrome strips were put there for our benefit, Carlton, not the snakes, so they are called "snake blinders" not snake mirrors! :lmao:

nuclearlemon
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
looks sweet!!!

nakman
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
the thread title had me thinking this was about taking the sawzall to it to fit bigger tires, but this was much better. Well done! :cheers:

RicardoJM
01-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Carlton, that is some very nice work. The 60 is looking great:thumb:.

Old40Dog
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Great job Carlton! Knew you could do it. It looks GREAT! :bowdown:

RockRunner
01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Nice job and X2 on keeping your welding buddy happy. Not often you find somebody next door to do this kind of work. I think you need to get a rear bumper with custom wings to protect the rockers.

If you need a plasma cutter to make one LMK you can use mine.

MDH33
01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
:cool: Can't wait to see what you do for the bumpers/sliders/lift. :thumb: