PDA

View Full Version : Parents please buy your children...

farnhamstj
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Properly fitting helmets and ski goggles. My niece age 3 hit a tree skiing today at Beaver Creek. She is in a Denver hospital with a fractured skull and a serious head/face laceration. She is OK as far as we know. I feel like a A-hole but my sister had her daughter in an ill fitting hand me down helmet and no goggles. PLEASE be it bike riding,scooters or whatever, don't skimp on helmets. If the the child's forehead is showing, they might as well not be wearing anything. Goggles and a Helmet $50 could have made all the difference.:rant:

Please keep my Niece in your prayers, Thanks.

Mendocino
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Properly fitting helmets and ski goggles. My niece age 3 hit a tree skiing today at Beaver Creek. She is in a Denver hospital with a fractured skull and a serious head/face laceration. She is OK as far as we know. I feel like a A-hole but my sister had her daughter in an ill fitting hand me down helmet and no goggles. PLEASE be it bike riding,scooters or whatever, don't skimp on helmets. If the the child's forehead is showing, they might as well not be wearing anything. Goggles and a Helmet $50 could have made all the difference.:rant:

Please keep my Niece in your prayers, Thanks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the Hamiltons.

FJBRADY
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
I wish your niece a speedy recovery!

MDH33
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Yikes! Hope she's ok.

I've never worn a helmet skiing and boarding for almost 30 years, but have been thinking lately that I probably should. Hearing about your niece and knowing I've got a little one on the way will have me sporting one the rest of this season and in the future, as will my little boarder when they're old enough to hit the slopes.

TIMZTOY
01-31-2010, 08:29 PM
best of wishes my friend..

corsair23
01-31-2010, 08:35 PM
:eek:

Hoping the best for her!!

SRT08BUS
01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I hope for a speedy recovery!!!!

I hated riding with a helmet! But after two bad falls without one on, and blacking out on all of them and once again after getting up after the second one and going down 10 or 20 yards only 2 blackout again, I'm told. I think a helmet's should be law, and please do not take it as nagging! My friend on the other hand I want 2 back hand for taking he's kid with no; helmet, goggles ( not ness. but handy), proper jacket or pants:rant::banghead::banghead:

rover67
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
I hope she gets better quickly. Head injuries are scary.

I broke my helmet yesterday, so I'm looking for a new one..

RockRunner
01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Wishing your niece a speedy recovery and no memory of the incident.

farnhamstj
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I believe goggles to be necessary for skiing/snowboarding especially for children. Having lived in a ski area for the past 11 years I've seen countless face and eye injuries from faceplants with hard plastic sunglasses. I carry sunglasses in my jacket pocket and will wear them on the lift rides up sometimes, but I never ski down in them.

If you have an I-phone or GPS check your average/max speed on the hill. Poppyfields in China bowl is not steep. I'm regularly hitting 60+ mph on it. My 5year old is often doing 40+mph. Skiing is dangerous. It's not me or my boy I worry about, it's the 20,000 idiots out there. Be safe use good judgement. Thanks for the support. Horrified it took 4 hours to get to DEN in an ambulance.

Corbet
01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
I wish her well.

Since the advent of shaped skis I'd say the average speed on an intermediate skier has doubled. The ability to easily carve a turn has its disadvantages too. M and I both are very strog advocates of helmets too.

nakman
01-31-2010, 10:19 PM
So sorry to hear this Farnham, she's definitely in our thoughts tonight. hoping for the best.

ElliottB
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Definitely sorry to hear this!

Is she at Children's Hospital in Aurora? I work over there so let me know, I could drop by and give her a little gift from the Rising Sun community.

farnhamstj
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
She's out of surgery. She is at Aurora, thanks for the offer. But they think they are being discharged at 12:00 today. She compressed her skull 4cm. She now has a nice H shaped scar on her forehead. The doctors seem most concerned with the cosmetics more than the fracture. To which my Sister is much relieved. Who cares about cosmetics? My Niece is scheduled to go back in 6-8weeks to see how the fracture is healing. Thank God (or whatever you believe in) that children are so resilient.

rover67
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that's amazing man, I'm glad they are letting her go today. Sounds like she was hurt pretty badly..

leiniesred
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Just finished reading Richard Hammond's (Top Gear, the TV show's littlest host) book about his head injury suffered behind the wheel of a jet powered dragster. Recovery can take a long time.

Sendin' some good thoughts to your neice.

P.S. I was unable to qualify for military service due to excessive head injuries. (skateboards and bikes.) (i know I know...explains a lot doesn't it?)

edog 80
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Scary, we were up at Eldora yesterday skiing, both my little ones have brand new helmets. They ski with reckless abandon though, I am always worried about them plowing into something.

pmccumber
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
One of my friends in the Boston area had a kid get hit in the road in front of their house. He was skateboarding behind a car and the car was definitely not at fault. But the kid had one of those 'X Games' style helmets instead of just the ones that fit the top of the head like bike helmets. He swears it saved his kids life. One of the best benefits of these is that it is almost impossible to screw up the fit. Those bike helmets are quite the opposite; I find it nearly impossible to get them to fit.

I hate stories like this. I hope the little girl is ok.

Paul

Uncle Ben
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I actually prefer my helmet to a stocking cap! It is warm when needed and I can open the vents if I need to. A good fitting helmet is very comfortable! We have always made the kids wear them and felt we should practice what we preach! Lori's had built in headphones so it is quite common to hear her yaking to her sister on the cell phone while carving! Funny as heck to hear her before you see her! :lmao::lmao: Goggles, on the other hand are not eye glass friendly and unless it's snowing or blowing I don't wear mine.....the girls always do!

Sorry to hear about the niece! Wishing her a 100% recovery!

Red_Chili
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not worried at ALL about head injuries.

Yeah right!

She is in my prayers...

Jacket
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Damn - that's scary. Sam always scares me on the slopes - he seems to only have to gears: stop and fast.

Wishing your niece a speedy recovery.

Hulk
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Glad to hear she's doing OK. I've been a big advocate of helmets ever since a buddy of mine got knocked out at Loveland on opening day by an out-of-control teenager. My buddy had a black eye for a week.

I get a prescription for contact lenses every year just so I can wear goggles with no glasses.

Red_Chili
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Check out motorcycle parts shops (Performance Cycle for instance, http://www.performancecycleco.com/ ) for goggles that work great with glasses!

wesintl
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
She's out of surgery. She is at Aurora, thanks for the offer. But they think they are being discharged at 12:00 today. She compressed her skull 4cm. She now has a nice H shaped scar on her forehead. The doctors seem most concerned with the cosmetics more than the fracture. To which my Sister is much relieved. Who cares about cosmetics? My Niece is scheduled to go back in 6-8weeks to see how the fracture is healing. Thank God (or whatever you believe in) that children are so resilient.

good to hear she is on the mend. sometimes our best intentions don't always work the way we plan.

bh4rnnr
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Sad new but glad to here she is doing good. Helmets are a good thing. I got knocked out while doing a Dual Slalom mountain bike race back in high school, ended up waking up in the Ambulance, could have been worse.

Heres to a speedy recovery:beer:

Maddmatt
02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Folks,

Haven't been around in awhile, but happened to check in this morning and this thread caught my eye.

Farnham - glad your niece sounds like she's going to be OK.

As far as skiing with helmets - do it. I've revived my instructing career during the past couple years (thanks, awesome economy, for giving me the impetus to get a second job!) and coincidentally started wearing a helmet for the first time last season.

There's lots of debate about their effictiveness at the speeds most adults ski, but I got one to be a good example for my kids - full background, I've had my share of injuries during a lifetime of skiing, but never hurt my head.

Much to my surprise, my helmet is much MUCH more comfortable than any hat I ever owned. It's warmer in cold, cooler in the hot and less itchy all the time. I often put my helmet on at 7:45 and forget it's there until 3:30.

I can't see it, it doesn't affect my hearing and it weighs practically nothing.

I don't want to get on a soap box or anything, but if you're deciding how to prioritize kids ski equipment, it goes like this:
1) helmet
2) goggles
3) sun screen
4) patience

Everything else is gravy.

And yes, an ill fitting helmet can be as bad or worse as no helmet at all.

No exceptions.

We take it so seriously at Eldora, even though it's not officially 'the law' that if a kid shows up with their own equipment but no helmet, we put one on them. No questions, no discussions, no charge.

Squishy!
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
We take it so seriously at Eldora, even though it's not officially 'the law' that if a kid shows up with their own equipment but no helmet, we put one on them. No questions, no discussions, no charge.

I like that. It set a good example from the get go with the kids and the parents can be educated too

DaveInDenver
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
There's lots of debate about their effictiveness at the speeds most adults ski
Statistically in skiing, biking and the like, injuries go up in adults with helmets. It's that feeling of being more invincible. But overall chance of death goes down because head injuries are most often the reason for traumatic death. The problem with helmets on adults is that they often don't fit right for whatever reason and a poorly fitting helmet can be as bad or worse than none at all depending on the surface.

Inukshuk
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I got knocked out while doing a Dual Slalom mountain bike race back in high school, ended up waking up in the Ambulance, could have been worse.

Explains a lot! :perry: :perry: :perry:

Glad to hear she is doing well.

I have been skiing in a helmet since 1996. As a former speed skier told me that year, "I wear one when I bike, I wear one when I rock climb, I wear one when I Rollerblade, and I go a LOT faster when I ski." Sold me. I have measured 65 on my GPS. Mostly it helps when someone puts down the safety bar without warning, but its also warm and comfortable. I wear a thin balaclava under it which helps tremendously with keeping you cool and clean.

Ditto on goggles.

subzali
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Just got one last year. Now I'm a believer, though I haven't had to use it. My buddy uses his somewhat regularly :rolleyes:

Farnham, hope your niece is pulling through okay :thumb:

farnhamstj
02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. She is back at home after a couple nights at Childrens. They think whe is going to be alright. I've hugged my kids more than usual the last couple days.