PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Swap ?????s

girraffe
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
any one here have experience swapping drivetrains? i need to pick some brains on how to set this thing up. also feel free to pm me and come over and check it out.

RockRunner
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
If you have started the project already start posting pictures. Also what type of swap? What type of rig are you swapping parts into.

There are a bunch of people who have done swaps and are doings swaps now. Give us more info if you want help. We don't know what you need help with.

AxleIke
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
If you have started the project already start posting pictures. Also what type of swap? What type of rig are you swapping parts into.

There are a bunch of people who have done swaps and are doings swaps now. Give us more info if you want help. We don't know what you need help with.

x2

girraffe
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
OK heres what i got goin on with my 40. I know what the height has to be for the top of the bell housing and where ill be clear of the firewall. What i dont know is if i should line the flat part of the frame rail up with the flat line of the tranny pan and the oil pan. Or what i should line it up with other than the rear pinion to make sure this thing is straight?

The reason i think the pinion is the wrong baseline is that when you do a lift you change the angle of the pinion. if you wanted to line everything back up again you wouldnt adjust the powertrain lines, you would adjust the pinion angle. So i guess im trying to find out what pioints on the drivetrain can be used to line up to the frame.

Air Randy
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Use the search tool and read every thread you can find un MUD and Pirate reference V8 swaps into 40's. Every possible engine-trans-transfer case combination you can think of has been attempted and documented many times over. You should be able to find the exact info you're looking for.

girraffe
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Use the search tool and read every thread you can find un MUD and Pirate reference V8 swaps into 40's. Every possible engine-trans-transfer case combination you can think of has been attempted and documented many times over. You should be able to find the exact info you're looking for.

thanks for the advice. been doing that for a while all the v8 swaps ive found have been motor only. no results on an entire drivetrain yet. if anyone can help out with a link or something that would be the bees nees.

Air Randy
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
You could also either call Profitt's Cruiser's and talk with Jeremiah or send him an email with some questions. They specialize in doing V8/auto swaps into cruisers of all types.

daisydog34
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I have done quite a few swaps in quite a few vehicles. The biggest thing I try and remember is making sure the drivetrain is square inside the frame. Normally if you want to keep floor pans and firewall there is only so much the assyembly can move vertically, just make sure you can achieve decent driveline angles and I personally move the drive train up as high as possible for more belly clearance; this is where some people will drop it and sacrafice clearance for a lower COG. On these short wheel base vehicles I typically move the drivetrain as far forward as pratical which helps with the rear drive line. There are no "Rules" to follow when doing entire drivetrain swaps, just suggestions and everybodies will be different, kinda depends on the purpose of the rig, the final setup of axles, weight, etc etc etc

As far as what to line up with what for checking sq and what not that is a hard one. If your motor mounts are in the same location on each side of the motor make sure they are the same spacing from the frame on each side, mount engine there. you can also use the harmonic balancer bolt as a centerline mark. Not sure on the back since the pinion is offset, maybe somebody else has a good idea. If you were closer I would bring some lasers from work and help get it in the right spot. Thats how I do all mine now, makes it so much easer!!
Good luck on the swap!:cheers:

nuclearlemon
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
with an auto, you will want to reverse your rear springs, or completely relocate them back to get a bit longer wheelbase, otherwise, you're driveshaft will be tiny. also, make sure the angles at the ujoints match between the transfer case and rear axle. (if it's 37degrees at the axle, it should be -37 degrees at the tcase, you can be off by one or two degrees).

ideally, if you're going to lift it, you'd want to go to a cv shaft, but i don't know if there's enough room with an auto.

did you have anything mocked up with the body on? you want to make sure that that there's clearance between the firewall and engine for cooling, also if it's a chevy, make sure you have room to pull the distributer if you need to.

rover67
02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
looks like a turbo diesel.

corsair23
02-02-2010, 05:54 PM
looks like a turbo diesel.

Hmmm....Out of a turbo diesel 80 series by chance :D

I know very little so sometimes my guesses are just wild a$$ed :lmao:

girraffe
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmmm....Out of a turbo diesel 80 series by chance :D

I know very little so sometimes my guesses are just wild a$$ed :lmao:

Yeah is a 1hd-t/a442f/hf2a. I was planning on swapping to 45 rear springs and a fj43 tub sinde the orig tub is toast. so i would have about 5.5 more inches of rear driveshaft. enough to run a cv???? Not sure yet.