PDA

View Full Version : 8274 in portable winch cradle?

SteveH
02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I have seen many planetary gear winches put in cradles to make a portable winch.

An 8274 came with my 1980 FJ40 project, and wondered if it's practical to put that size/weight of winch in a cradle. What say ye? My winch has the standard (?) 5/16" cable - presumably 100' or so. I've never seen an 8274 in a cradle, but I presume you could modify/fab a cradle design to work with it. If the result is a 160 lb anchor, then that's not very practical.

Thanks,

Steve

corsair23
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Can you mount an M8274 feet down? I didn't think you could but wouldn't you need to in order to mount it in a cradle (as least the type I'm thinking of)?

Edit: looking at it again I guess you could modify a cradle to work but it would have to mount feet forward...

As for the cable...standard from Warn is 150' of 5/16" wire rope. Weight with cable is listed at 110lbs...with sythetic it would be a lot less, but that is still a chunk depending on the weight of the cradle to move around :hill:

M8274 (http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8274-50.shtml)

SteveH
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I figure removing this winch from my truck will be something like a 1" lift kit right there ;-)

Thanks for the weight figure and the idea of using synthetic rope.

Rezarf
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
These things are HEAVY! I bet you'd blow an o-ring just huffing the thing around! :D

thefatkid
02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I'll try to put my 9.5xp (with Amsteel blue) on the scale here soon. With the Warn MultiMount it is a pain to move at times. Hauling the 70ish pounds from one end of the truck to the other, over uneven terrain can risk injury to the back. That M8274 sounds heavier then my winch, then add weight for the extra plate needed for the face mounting of that winch. I think the ability to remove the winch when not in use or winch from the rear position is worth it. Expect to spend over $100 on electrical welding cable to run it from the rear.

As long as you scream "beefcake" while moving it you should be ok. :D

Rzeppa
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't do it. My 8274 is one heavy SOB, even after I went synth. Add the plate (as others have mentioned) and you have an accident waiting to happen.

Whilst pondering the advantages of having a winch on the rear (in addition to the front) with the cost savings of only having one winch, a thought occurred to me years ago. There ought to be a way to mount a pulley or some such that the front-mounted winch's cable pulled from the rear. Obviously, if you're in snow or gumbo up to your axles that would be a non-starter if the cable had to route underneath though.

corsair23
02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Whilst pondering the advantages of having a winch on the rear (in addition to the front) with the cost savings of only having one winch, a thought occurred to me years ago. There ought to be a way to mount a pulley or some such that the front-mounted winch's cable pulled from the rear. Obviously, if you're in snow or gumbo up to your axles that would be a non-starter if the cable had to route underneath though.

Here you go :)

wrpV2xqHG5w

Corbet
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Still off original topic but search under Foers Winch for system to allow single winch to pull forward and backward. I could not find a good diagram quickly but essentially you mount the winch centrally on the vehicle. Run the rope out one end of the vehicle then back through the vehicle inside a frame rail. Protect the rope on all bends and have a secure attachment point at the end of the frame rail.

Now you can pull both directions without having to relocate the winch. One direction will always be doubled. Wish I could find a pic/diagram online...

edit: these diagrams sucks but hope you get the idea. Can't find the one I saw years ago...

Rzeppa
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Here you go :)

wrpV2xqHG5w

Kinda sorta what I had thought of, but way too many moving parts. My thinking was something that only required an anchor at the rear, but yeah, with 3 snatch blocks and an anchor in the front that works too.

Rzeppa
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Still off original topic but search under Foers Winch for system to allow single winch to pull forward and backward. I could not find a good diagram quickly but essentially you mount the winch centrally on the vehicle. Run the rope out one end of the vehicle then back through the vehicle inside a frame rail. Protect the rope on all bends and have a secure attachment point at the end of the frame rail.

Now you can pull both directions without having to relocate the winch. One direction will always be doubled. Wish I could find a pic/diagram online...

edit: these diagrams sucks but hope you get the idea. Can't find the one I saw years ago...

But - this requires (I presume) access under the vehicle, which was the huge weak part of my original thought. That is, if you are up to your axles (or worse) in snow or gumbo you don't have access to the underside.

Prolly the best thing is to not venture into said deep snow or deep gumbo without a buddy :)

Corbet
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
no you don't need access under the truck to operate. Just hardwire the winch as usual. Move solenoid box to somewhere easy to get at.

Air Randy
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
FWIW I have had over 20 different 4x4 vehicles for work over the course of 30+ years that were equipped with winches, all hard mounted on the front of the vehicles. These vehicles were used all over the US from mountain sites to deep gumbo mud down South as well as all over Africa.

I was never in a situation that I couldn't extricate myself (or the other vehicle) from with a front mounted winch. Some times it took a while with a lot of small moves but in the end it worked. What was invaluable to me in those situations was having 2 snatch blocks, multiple D rings, tree straps and a 100' extension cable.

With a good front mounted winch (good battery, alt, etc) and these accessories you would rarely be stranded.

One of my bad stuck situations happened going to a remote mountain top radio site in Wyoming. I had been raining hard and the trail was axle deep mud. The road was a little off camber and my front end slid of until I was totally sideways with the front pointing downhill with a pretty good drop off in front, both front wheels in the air. There was no way to run a line under the truck and winch myself backwards so I ran the winch line back to the passenger side rear wheel, aired the tire down, looped the cable around the tire and tightened the winch so the wheel couldn't turn (I didn't have a rear locker). I took my spare 100' cable and ran it around a tree, looped the other end around the drivers side rear tire after I aired it down, put it in reverse and pulled myself back up on the road enough to then use the winch forward and at an angle to get straight on the road.

Neccessity is the mother of invention:D

PS-My mini truck came with a Ramsey 9000 with synthetic line on one of those hand carry quick mount things. It took me about 9.3 seconds to put it down and never use it again after the first try. I sold the mount but if you want the long electrical cables with the DC quick couple to run yours from the rear, it's yours for $50