PDA

View Full Version : Dash Poll

daisydog34
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
So a few weeks ago I purchased another 4runner. I finally got all the mechanical stuff (besides the sas) fixed up and now I am moving on to the interior, or lack there of:eek:

It is the original brown, plastics are falling off, generally destroyed...but what can I say it was cheep! There isn't a whole lot of broken parts, just unattached and the dash pad is cracked.

I personally hate the brown interior so I am wondering if I should try and find all new dash and side plastics that are grey, or if anybody has had good luck with plastic paint. Obviously anything broken I will replace, but for the rest that is good would you find a replacement in the correct color, or find a grey plastic paint that is close and spray everything?

Any input would be great as im not very experienced at restoring the interior of cars, I usually just rip everything out and rhino line it:D

Big John
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
So a few weeks ago I purchased another 4runner. I finally got all the mechanical stuff (besides the sas) fixed up and now I am moving on to the interior, or lack there of:eek:

It is the original brown, plastics are falling off, generally destroyed...but what can I say it was cheep! There isn't a whole lot of broken parts, just unattached and the dash pad is cracked.

I personally hate the brown interior so I am wondering if I should try and find all new dash and side plastics that are grey, or if anybody has had good luck with plastic paint. Obviously anything broken I will replace, but for the rest that is good would you find a replacement in the correct color, or find a grey plastic paint that is close and spray everything?

Any input would be great as im not very experienced at restoring the interior of cars, I usually just rip everything out and rhino line it:D
Swapping the interior is really easy. I did everything but the dash (mine was already grey) when I went from DLX to SR5. The only part I think would be tough is the headliner. Not sure what to do with that and have never messed with one personally.

SteveH
02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
The problem I had with the plastic paint was the sheen - it varied in shine from one part of the dash to another. It wasn't horrible, but it was somewhat ghetto. Fortunately, I was using it on a 1979 Mercury Capri v8 for which I paid $200.

Perhaps you could purchase a gray dashcap for the top, and paint the lower sections with the plastic-capable spray paint. I'd leave the headliner alone and live with that as it sits.

Red_Chili
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't think the paint will make you happy. You would be better off to rhino line it. (yech...).

You could check with Yoda Jim (www.jimsgotparts.com), he may fix you up. Intact dashes for that vintage are becoming hard to find.

You might also try BD Auto Interiors on S. Broadway (I think I have the name right...). For the headliner, I actually stumbled into a nice solution: the body I bought for the Chili had a sunroof (that leaked :() and in the course of replacing it, I discovered the headliner was not stock. It was rather thick, and pretty darn easy to make look good too, as a result. BD may have some of that stuff.

AddictedOffroad
02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
The pic-n-pull off of Peoria in Aurora usually has no short of 15 4runners/pickups in there. You could likely get the whole interior if you get lucky out there to swap over. Or, you could find another one with a blown motor in the color you want and buy the whole rig and swap all of that.

FWIW, i have had decent luck with the Duplicolor vinyl paint. But, it needs to be re-applied to high wear areas a lot. Just don't lay it on too thick and you will be fine.

girraffe
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
The pic-n-pull off of Peoria in Aurora usually has no short of 15 4runners/pickups in there. You could likely get the whole interior if you get lucky out there to swap over. Or, you could find another one with a blown motor in the color you want and buy the whole rig and swap all of that.

FWIW, i have had decent luck with the Duplicolor vinyl paint. But, it needs to be re-applied to high wear areas a lot. Just don't lay it on too thick and you will be fine.

I was there last weekend. think i saw one early runner and a few early 90s as well.

daisydog34
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
After giving it some thought, im thinking im going to try and find a runner that is being parted out and buy the interior. I think that will be easier and look better in the end. Besides I also need all the SR5 stuff as well :) Thinking this is gonna have to wait a bit though till the sas is done since that has to get done before Moab:D

nakman
02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
would this help? http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1587034598.html