PDA

View Full Version : Clone a VX-7r

rover67
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Does anybody have a Yaesu HT and a cable that I could clone mine from tonight? I know it's last minute, but I just thought about it....

I don't have a cable or the software..

I'm hoping to just gt the basic area repeaters programmed and maybe colorado connection..

corsair23
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Marco,

I don't have the cable but I'll have my HT with me...It has the DaveinDenver programming special :D

DaveInDenver
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I have the cable, software and all that, but won't be there tonight unfortunately. I also don't have a laptop available anymore. :-( Happy to offer whatever help I can some other time, maybe over the weekend.

rover67
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
dang... bummer Dave.

Anybody got a cable? That's all we need if Jeff brings his!

nakman
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
What cable is it- 1/8" stereo?

rover67
02-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I am pretty sure it's something else... i'll look when i get home in a sec.

And I think the cable has some circuitry in it...

DaveInDenver
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
The one I have is to clone the radio from a computer. It's DB-9 to a 1/8" but it takes a special 4 conductor 1/8" with a threaded section adapter. I have a USB adapter that works with it. They also make a 1/8"-1/8" radio to radio clone cable, but it also takes the special plug.

rover67
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I just looked, and for radio to radio you need two of their mic adapters and a 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male cable.

rover67
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I ordered a cloning cable for the vx-7r on ebay, it was 15 bucks. I'll have it if anybody needs it!

nakman
02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I ordered a cloning cable for the vx-7r on ebay, it was 15 bucks. I'll have it if anybody needs it!

hey so did you get the cable? Curious how it all worked. :D

rover67
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I got the cable and plugged it all up per the instructions and nada...

I am talking with th eebay vendor to try and figure it out. I bet it's a bad cable but he dosen't think so.

I need to still look on the web and see what th epinouts are supposed to be so I can check it myself but I haven't gotten there yet...

DaveInDenver
02-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Yaesu 4 pin plug pin out and serial cable schematic. With USB the interface is slightly different to the computer but the radio side is the same.

rover67
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
whoa.

sweet!

So which ones are supposed to be connected when it's just a 4 pin to 4 pin cloning cable?

edit:

Nevermind, just found it..

http://www.hampedia.net/yaesu/vx-7r.php

Edit:

And edit again.. that's basically what you posted.

I'll confirm that the clone rings on both connectors have continuity and the gnd rings also do.

DaveInDenver
02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
whoa.

sweet!

So which ones are supposed to be connected when it's just a 4 pin to 4 pin cloning cable?

edit:

Nevermind, just found it..

http://www.hampedia.net/yaesu/vx-7r.php

Edit:

And edit again.. that's basically what you posted.

I'll confirm that the clone rings on both connectors have continuity and the gnd rings also do.
You technically just need the data and gnd rings to/from each radio. The VX-7R is dumb, it's either transmitting or receiving and so the data line is shared and it relies on you to tell it to RX or TX. I have never cloned radio to radio, so I can only assume it's like radio to computer. You tell one side to prep and then start the other side talking. I suspect you tell radio #1 to get ready to receive and then tell radio #2 to start talking.

nakman
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Marco just be sure you don't reformat the "donor" HT by mistake, or we'll both be screaming for Dave... :lmao:

rover67
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Marco just be sure you don't reformat the "donor" HT by mistake, or we'll both be screaming for Dave... :lmao:

Trust me, I've been VERY carefull!! :)

sleeoffroad
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone going to be in Moab that can clone my HT? Just bought one.

rover67
03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I can try, I have not been sucsessful with mine though.

DaveInDenver
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
This is particularly a problem since I don't have any way to program radios anymore. The computer I got (see sale section, I'm GIVING it away) does not seem to like to let my programming cable use the serial port. I hate Windows.

corsair23
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
This is particularly a problem since I don't have any way to program radios anymore. The computer I got (see sale section, I'm GIVING it away) does not seem to like to let my programming cable use the serial port. I hate Windows.

Bummer :o

I guess I better get motivated to figure it out then...I got me a laptop, paid the $$ for the software, and have the cable, but I need to put them all together and see what happens :hill:

DaveInDenver
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Bummer :o

I guess I better get motivated to figure it out then...I got me a laptop, paid the $$ for the software, and have the cable, but I need to put them all together and see what happens :hill:
I've been trying to find a laptop that still has a serial port for a couple of hundred dollars to use just as a dedicated ham station. People on Craigslist are sooooo flaky. I have software and cables for the VX-7R, FT-8800R and FT-7800R, so just seems silly not to have a common programming station.

rover67
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Jeff, can I "borrow" that stuff sometime? I am going to try to clone the radio's again (Tim N's and Mine) but if it dosen't work i'll give it a go with your stuff. Dave, I have the files you sent me a while back with the frequency's all programmed in them stored on my computer.

Christo, remind me in moab and we'll see if your's can be cloned, maybe my radio is just not happy.

rover67
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Dave, you want me to see if I can find you one for maybe $100? I'd be an old work computer that they decomissioned. It's what i have and use to program my icom and it works great.

Either that or just remind me at a meeting and I can bring mine.

I'll have my laptop on the way to moab with the programs, so if i bump into the cable and software i'll be set :)

RicardoJM
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I've been trying to find a laptop that still has a serial port for a couple of hundred dollars to use just as a dedicated ham station. People on Craigslist are sooooo flaky. I have software and cables for the VX-7R, FT-8800R and FT-7800R, so just seems silly not to have a common programming station.

I've got a old Dell that may fit the bill for you - and way less that a couple of hundred dollars. I don't recall if it has the serial port, or if I plugged in the USB to serial conversion cable - but I do know I used to upload maps to my Garmin GPS V back in the day. The thing is 1998 vintage and the battery does not hold a charge, but it runs rock solid with the power cable plugged in:D. I also don't recall if it has NT or some flavor of Linux on it right now.

Make me a ridiculously low offer, I'll cut it in half, you cut that in half and we'll keep on going that direction until we agree on a fair price:thumb:.

sleeoffroad
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Dave, you want me to see if I can find you one for maybe $100? I'd be an old work computer that they decomissioned. It's what i have and use to program my icom and it works great.

Either that or just remind me at a meeting and I can bring mine.

I'll have my laptop on the way to moab with the programs, so if i bump into the cable and software i'll be set :)

Marco, I will have my notebook as well and I can bring a USB - DB9 converter. I will try to get some repeaters set manually to see if this thing works.

DaveInDenver
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
The VX-7R is very sensitive about the serial port levels, which might be part of your problem Marco. Not all USB adapters work with it. I use an adapter built around a Prolific PL-2303 USB<->RS232 chipset that seemingly has a charge pump built in to generate a 6V swing. I speculate that the VX-7R is not a truly RS232 compliant device or maybe loads the port down sufficiently that not all bridge chips can drive it and keep the levels. Some people have had to drive the USB to serial bridge output into a MAX232 to reliably program their radios, so YMMV.

corsair23
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Hmmm...Me thinks I bought the USB cable vs. the serial cable :confused: - I guess I'll have to look...

I have an old laptop as well that I got a WinXP license from Spanky/Sparky/Rudy for :)...I'm betting that sucker doesn't have USB so it will be serial so I should look.

I was planning to set my laptop up to program my 8800 (someday since it is still sitting in the box :o) and tweak the programming on the VX-7R a tad.

Marco, your welcome to borrow it when I get it running...I can bring it to Moab or a future club meeting as well for anyone else that needs to do some programming :thumb:

EDIT: Looks I got myself one of each of these...So if I can get the programming software loaded and working on the laptop I can be your Yaesu programming Huckleberry :hill:

For the VX-7R
http://www.kawamall.com/prod_images_blowup/VX7RUSBCBL_A1a.jpg

For the 8800
http://www.kawamall.com/prod_images_blowup/YSU7800USB_so_a1a.jpg

DaveInDenver
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
OK, I'm again able to program VX-7R radios, so if anyone needs theirs done let me know.

rover67
04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I was never able to get mine to clone with Nak's. I don't know what the problem was since The cable ohm'ed out fine. Anyways, I'd love to have you program mine sometime. It is no rush.

DaveInDenver
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I was never able to get mine to clone with Nak's. I don't know what the problem was since The cable ohm'ed out fine. Anyways, I'd love to have you program mine sometime. It is no rush.
I'm in town this week, next weekend and the beginning of next week. I am hoping to leave Denver sometime between the end of the work day Tuesday to Thursday, most like is that I will leave after work on Wed 4/28 for Moab. I have some chores to take care of around the house the next week or so and in parallel I'm hoping to get the new radio into the truck before Moab.