PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a RETRO CAMPING TRIP?

leiniesred
02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Vehicle requirements: 25 years old or older 4x4. Tire size not important.

Camping requirements: In the spirit of the trip, the focus would be on using "period correct" camping equipment to the best of our rememberance/(in)ability.

Dig into the back of the attic, garage, hunting shack, or your grandpa's pole barn and find your BSA pup tent, shake the mouse colony out of your flannel sleeping bag with the hunting dog motife on the liner, gas up your gas lantern with the radioactive mantles, dig out Dad's never washed in 50 years coleman white gas stove, sew a KEEP ON TRUCKIN' patch onto your kelty external frame backpack, and buy 8 D cell batteries for your 8 track portable quadraphonic stereo.

Dress:
An effort to dress period correct would earn the respect of your fellow campers. Gotta 1970 FJ40? I wanna see red bell bottom pants and a polyester shirt with giant tab collars. 1985 4runner? "Members Only" jacket and parachute pants for you Mr. Glenn Frey.

Leave the iPod at home lest it become iKindling for the fire.
Leave the GPS at home. We'll use gas station road maps and compasses.
Engle Fridge? Only if it is harvest gold or avacado in color and has a collection of smily face and peace sign magnets.

Interested? No date/time/location has been determined at this time.

DaveInDenver
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
My truck's not old enough. Bummer. But all my gear is period appropriate, 1991 truck, 1992 WilderNest, Coleman 426B (~1970) stove, etc. And this is not my dusty old junk, it's just my regular junk. I don't even own a GPS receiver to leave at home.

FJBRADY
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
My truck is old enough, as am I, but all my gear is relatively new! :confused:

rover67
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm down, but since I only started camping 20 years ago all i'll have is my 25 year old truck. I'll be sleeping in it.

I guess I don't have any clothes that's 25 years old anymore either... maybe just some old stained underwear. I'll only be wearing them.

or this requires a trip to the salvation army... which i'm cool with.

theboomboom
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Count me in! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Totally in! Really rad concept man! ;) I still think in order for this to work you should make the rule that at least 5 things excluding the humans and dogs must be 25 years or older!

RicardoJM
02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Count me in! :thumb:

You have most all the requisite period correct equipment in the basement and the pieces you are missing (including the portable 8 track) can be sourced from your uncle in Drake.:thumb:

MDH33
02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a Rising Sun version of the Expedition Utah "Relic Run". :cool:

http://www.relicrun.com/

I'm in. Let the garage sale hunting for old equipment begin! :thumb:

AxleIke
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
1989 4Runner: SAS, locked, 244:1, 37x12.50

So, got another truck you're going to run? Cuz from where my math is sitting, you don't qualify...

And, sadly, neither do I, though I wish I did, cuz this would be a BLAST!!!!!!

Red_Chili
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Parts of my truck are 25 years old (front axle is 26, transfer case is ~25, tranny is 24 - OOPS). Does that count?

I am over twice that. My clothing has not changed much in 25 years (flannel and jeans today). I have the stove ('refurb' Coleman) but not much else that old. My age and clothing cover the gaps?
:lmao:

timmbuck2
02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
the FJ40 would qualify, but not the BJ40. I did not camp until I was in my mid 20's but that is what garage sales are for, right? Very cool idea!

Hulk
02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I finally donated my old 1976 pup tent to the goodwill, and now this? :)

Inukshuk
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a Rising Sun version of the Expedition Utah "Relic Run". :cool:
http://www.relicrun.com/

Ditto. Depending upon when and where I can bring out the 1973 VW Thing (no steep hills please)

MDH33
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Ditto. Depending upon when and where I can bring out the 1973 VW Thing (no steep hills please)

Awesome, I've been waiting to see it on the trail. :cool:

MDH33
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
the FJ40 would qualify, but not the BJ40.

Your BJ is 34 years old. So, why wouldn't it qualify?

rover67
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Awesome, I've been waiting to see it on the trail. :cool:

you mean you've been waiting to see that thing on the trail :D

MDH33
02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
My truck's not old enough. Bummer.

Maybe Dean will come along and let you borrow one of his trucks. :thumb:

SRT08BUS
02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
That's a creative idea for I trip! I like, but lack all of the above.

DaveInDenver
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Maybe Dean will come along and let you borrow one of his trucks. :thumb:
Maybe I'll just take my modern outfit and camp down the road from you guys. That would allow me to nod to the 21th century and drink tons of cold beer in pop tab cans from the on-board fridge while you guys have to scrounge for a can open for your luke warm flat tops in ice chests. :-)

http://www.beercanpro.com/images/large/flatnonirtp2.jpg

Uncle Ben
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Parts of my truck are 25 years old (front axle is 26, transfer case is ~25, tranny is 24 - OOPS). Does that count?

I am over twice that. My clothing has not changed much in 25 years (flannel and jeans today). I have the stove ('refurb' Coleman) but not much else that old. My age and clothing cover the gaps?
:lmao:

Only qualifies if it leaks! :eek::lmao: Humans and animals do not qualify even if your age qualify's twice! :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Maybe I'll just take my modern outfit and camp down the road from you guys. That would allow me to nod to the 21th century and drink tons of cold beer in pop tab cans from the on-board fridge while you guys have to scrounge for a can open for your luke warm flat tops in ice chests. :-)

http://www.beercanpro.com/images/large/flatnonirtp2.jpg

You won't know where we will be because the internet and cell phones can't be used. Snail mail or land line communication! I guess we could produce a vintage club newsletter! :thumb:

DaveInDenver
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
You won't know where we will be because the internet and cell phones can't be used. Snail mail or land line communication! I guess we could produce a vintage club newsletter! :thumb:
Look up Keyhole and Corona, there's been ways to find us for 50 years. Not to mention since you will all be driving old junk, following the trail of fallen parts and leaky fluids should make it easy.

Jacket
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Won't we die if we wear cotton in the back country? I swear they taught me that at the Boulder Mountaineering school....:rolleyes:

I guess us 70's guys can wear the polyester.:thumb:

leiniesred
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
You guys make me laugh. (Which is kind of the point of this proposed adventure.)
No, I can't bring the 1989 4Runner. I'm going to roll in with this (probably behind a tow truck).
Here, I'll put it in Sepia to get the right effect...

RockRunner
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Totally in! Really rad concept man! ;) I still think in order for this to work you should make the rule that at least 5 things excluding the humans and dogs must be 25 years or older!

I like that :D Thanks for including us, Buca and Duke ;) :puppykisses::puppykisses::camping:

RockRunner
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Got the truck, sleeping bag, tent maybe and a stove. Need to look for the other stuff in the basement. Do fishing poles count? I have about 6-8 still form Holland. Wear an old sweatshirt from graduation???

I got to have more.............dang that shows my age:p:

rover67
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_fashion

We're taking the 40. that puts us right at the start of the 80's. I dig it.

corsair23
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Awesome...All you people that have gotten rid of your Qwest land lines will have to reup :D - Good news for me :)

Sounds like a fun idea...My 40 qualifies and I'm sure I can scrounge up enough gear that "looks" old enough to qualify :hill:

nakman
02-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Well 25 years ago I would have just partied all night and not gone to bed.. so I think I've got all the camping gear I need, I'll just whittle a hot dog stick on site. :camping:

leiniesred
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.teamspirits.org/rovers50/1970s/backpacking/ut/showImg.html?img1=cas-78-gg1.jpg~txt=Grand Gulch 1978<BR>Tom Deal, Brian Bushay, Cheryl Soshnik, Geoff Harrison, and Craig Ellestad.<BR>We took 11 days to explore the ruins and pictographs as we hiked Grand Gulch, then hiked up the San Juan River to Slickhorn Canyon to exit.<BR>Photo and scan by Cheryl Soshnik

FJBRADY
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Is that Perry second on the left?

Mendocino
02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Depending on date I am in. I can bring the 40 but I will have to bring gear that looks like its 25 years old. Maybe we can give a smudge stick, crystal bag and a jalapeno and LSD enema to the most period authentic attendee.:thumb:

AxleIke
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Alright, who's got an open seat? I can bring numerous things over 25 years old in the camping dept, stuff that was being used when I made my first camping trip at 6 weeks. Yes, child services was a little laxer back then :D

Also, unlike Bill, I just BARELY meet the requirements, but I was constructed a little over 26 years ago!

leiniesred
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Last summer, JKimmel and I camped up on Kenosha Pass.
The road was 2wd, but rough. I probably should have been in 4low, but I wasn't. There was a surprise touregg up there to give you an idea of the road conditions. Sound about perfect? Significant distance from Denver, but not too far to Fairplay or Como for ice, hot coffee, and other supplies.

Forest Service Road 126/ County Road 872. I think there are established campsites at the end of the spurs.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kenosha+pass+campground&ie=UTF8&hq=kenosha+pass+campground&hnear=Englewood,+CO&ll=39.412855,-105.718689&spn=0.053912,0.114326&t=h&z=14

Railroad buffs can read informative signs and walk a small section of the remaining "Y" tracks down by 285.
Fishing? Maybe in the creek below or back at that lake next to 285?
Hiking? Bounce down to the fee area Kenosha Pass Campground and pick up the Colorado Trail.
Mt. biking on this section too.
Wheeling? Well, go explore to the end of the road and the side spurs or head down 285 to red cone or somethin'.

Uncle Nakdude
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a down vest with orange stripes and a boda bag. Are parachute pants required for this?

Rzeppa
02-05-2010, 05:33 PM
LOL! I actually finally tossed out my leisure suit a couple years ago. Kind of a shame 'cause it still fit.:p:

My climbing equipment is mid-70s vintage, and I think I still have a flannel sleeping bag.

And, my 71 FJ40 came with an 8-track! :headbang:

Sounds like fun!

Corbet
02-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I wish this was closer to me. Might be too far for my old junk. Now if fuel was priced at 1985 rates I'd be all in. I believe this trip will prove to be a god time for all.:cheers:

Crash
02-05-2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.teamspirits.org/rovers50/1970s/backpacking/ut/showImg.html?img1=cas-78-gg1.jpg~txt=Grand Gulch 1978<BR>Tom Deal, Brian Bushay, Cheryl Soshnik, Geoff Harrison, and Craig Ellestad.<BR>We took 11 days to explore the ruins and pictographs as we hiked Grand Gulch, then hiked up the San Juan River to Slickhorn Canyon to exit.<BR>Photo and scan by Cheryl Soshnik

This picture is as good as the one of five-year-old Treeroot "holdin' his own", Michael Jackson style with one hand, and a bag full of green in the other. Good stuff! :thumb:

Old40Dog
02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Vehicle requirements: 25 years old or older 4x4. Tire size not important.

Camping requirements: In the spirit of the trip, the focus would be on using "period correct" camping equipment to the best of our rememberance/(in)ability.

Dig into the back of the attic, garage, hunting shack, or your grandpa's pole barn and find your BSA pup tent, shake the mouse colony out of your flannel sleeping bag with the hunting dog motife on the liner, gas up your gas lantern with the radioactive mantles, dig out Dad's never washed in 50 years coleman white gas stove, sew a KEEP ON TRUCKIN' patch onto your kelty external frame backpack, and buy 8 D cell batteries for your 8 track portable quadraphonic stereo.

Dress:
An effort to dress period correct would earn the respect of your fellow campers. Gotta 1970 FJ40? I wanna see red bell bottom pants and a polyester shirt with giant tab collars. 1985 4runner? "Members Only" jacket and parachute pants for you Mr. Glenn Frey.

Leave the iPod at home lest it become iKindling for the fire.
Leave the GPS at home. We'll use gas station road maps and compasses.
Engle Fridge? Only if it is harvest gold or avacado in color and has a collection of smily face and peace sign magnets.

Wow! All of my camping equipment :campfire: meets the requirements! I'll need to find a new globe for my Coleman 2 mantel "gas" lantern ( I think it's been discontinued for about 15 years now) and my '74 2 burner propane camp stove (we were so...excited that no more liquid fuel was required!) I think I still have an 8 cell flashlight, if you can lift it.:cool: Compass? We just followed the sun...:cool:

The truck's easy, as the 40's pre-1970 with a "Love" necklace hangin' from the cigarette lighter in the dash that we found when we put the windshield down for the first time in 20 years, the hinges were so rusty they broke but didn't separate!:lmao:

This will be fun. Hope the chosen date works! We often camp in the area, and there's lot's of trails nearby.:D Great idea Stephen! :thumb:

SRT08BUS
02-07-2010, 12:02 AM
If someone has a seat I'd be down, all I have is a couple jokes about that old though.

Old40Dog
02-07-2010, 10:42 AM
If someone has a seat I'd be down, all I have is a couple jokes about that old though.

Brandon, you're welcome to ride with us and if anyone else needs a seat, just post up here or PM me. We'll likely have the :hill: '69-40 and :eek: Zach's '78-55, so they'll be at least 4 extra seats in our camp. :beer:

SRT08BUS
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks! I'll get one 2 you soon.

nattybumppo
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
If I can get that weekend off, I'm in for this great fun sounding trip. Won't know until mid May though. I can even bring an old Svea gas stove. State of the art circa 1975.

leiniesred
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I use an 8R with the sigg tourister cookset as my primary camp stove.

Jetboil? whisperlight? Give me the pyrotecnic priming style and puttering flareups as the pressure builds to an afterburner roar of comforting blue flame.

And who says you can't simmer on a Svea...Novices I tell ya.
It will be cool to hear the sveas roar in stereo!

Rezarf
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Alright, who's got an open seat? I can bring numerous things over 25 years old in the camping dept, stuff that was being used when I made my first camping trip at 6 weeks. Yes, child services was a little laxer back then :D

Also, unlike Bill, I just BARELY meet the requirements, but I was constructed a little over 26 years ago!

Isaac, you can ride with me bro, if I can swing the dates, don't hold your breath on me being able to make it, but it would be really fun.

I may just cover the trailer with Tie-Die fabric ;)

jacdaw
03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Issac, if Drew flakes :bolt: I'd be glad to have you in my passenger seat. I think my truck is okay since the body style came out in '79. :D I'll even take the huge, crusty old CB out from under the glove box so you have room for your legs.

jacdaw
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Ditto. Depending upon when and where I can bring out the 1973 VW Thing (no steep hills please)No way Daniel, you have a 181? :cool: That was my very first car...a sun yellow '73. I would love to see it some time. I have owned way too many ACVWs. :rolleyes:

Inukshuk
03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
No way Daniel, you have a 181? :cool: That was my very first car...a sun yellow '73. I would love to see it some time. I have owned way too many ACVWs. :rolleyes:

#1832840881. No photos with me (I'm in Seattle), but there used to be some floating around the web. I need a new top and could really use a rebuilt (and mildly built) motor. Otherwise good to go! Offroads (downhill) great!

MDH33
03-07-2010, 12:22 PM
'77 pickup and camper. :cool:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1598302283.html

jacdaw
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Do any of you have any old Frostline gear? Did your mom sew a vest or jacket kit for you? Or maybe a tent?

leiniesred
03-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Frostline Panniers in Loveland right now. Just $10 to re-live some bicyle adventures.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/spo/1588775155.html

Oh and check out this groovy e-bay vest.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frostline-Kit-TAPESTRY-PRINT-VEST-Lds-Medium-Mns-Small_W0QQitemZ160218994223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item254dcbd62f

jacdaw
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
For $10, getting the pannier kit would be fun. Just have to buy a sewing machine...bet I find a cheap one on CL. ;)Frostline Panniers in Loveland right now. Just $10 to re-live some bicyle adventures.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/spo/1588775155.html

Oh and check out this groovy e-bay vest.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frostline-Kit-TAPESTRY-PRINT-VEST-Lds-Medium-Mns-Small_W0QQitemZ160218994223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item254dcbd62f

Rzeppa
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Do any of you have any old Frostline gear? Did your mom sew a vest or jacket kit for you? Or maybe a tent?

Yep, tons. I have a down vest, gaitors, sleeping bag, two coats, lots of stuff sacks, I forget what-all. Made it all myself. Even made a coat for my mom.

Whatever happened to them? Out of business I presume...

Ah...here we go! History of Gear: Frostline Kits (http://www.oregonphotos.com/Frostline1.html)

rover67
03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow, that guy's story about frostline is nuts. crazy detailed.

Rzeppa
03-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Wow, that guy's story about frostline is nuts. crazy detailed.

I thought it was pretty cool. I also have a pair of Frostline mittens, two part. Outer shell has leather palms and thumbs and down gauntlets, then you can either use the down liners from the kit or use something else. I typically wore wool Dachsteins as the liner, or occasionally wool gloves.

Rzeppa
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Jetboil? whisperlight? Give me the pyrotecnic priming style and puttering flareups as the pressure builds to an afterburner roar of comforting blue flame.

Ah the memories! I still have my Svea, but haven't used it much since I got my Peak 1 in 1980.

Inukshuk
03-09-2010, 12:58 AM

I have down booties my parents made. Boulder label kit. I never realized it was from CO.

cbmontgo
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
If I find my FJ40 by then, I am there. This sounds like a great time! Of course, the FJ60 just turned 25 too...

DaveInDenver
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Meeting place: I'm going to try to be at the junction of 285 and 470 on the West side of town at 10:00am on Saturday I think there is a gas station on the North East corner.
There's a Home Depot on the southeast corner of US285 and C470 but it's not easy to exit to it. The best meeting spot IMVHO is at highway 26 and 285, near The Fort, the first exit west of C470 on US285. There is a big parking area about 1/4 mile to the north of the exit. You will be joined with several fellow dirtbag mountain bikers, boaters and plain old deviants.

wesintl
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM

nice rudy.. you gotta love the white gas priming :D

I always wanted an optimus 8r. The young scouts as I was at that time weren't allowed to get white gas stoves. I got a nice bluet 206. Later I got a peak 1 which I really liked for the little priming you needed to do and the heat output. I eventually moved up to a peark1 multifuel. My **** was boiling before others with whisperlites and those fancy backpack stoves were primed. I really love my peak 1 multi-fuel.

DaveInDenver
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
nice rudy.. you gotta love the white gas priming :D

I always wanted an optimus 8r. The young scouts as I was at that time weren't allowed to get white gas stoves. I got a nice bluet 206. Later I got a peak 1 which I really liked for the little priming you needed to do and the heat output. I eventually moved up to a peark1 multifuel. My **** was boiling before others with whisperlites and those fancy backpack stoves were primed. I really love my peak 1 multi-fuel.
I've got two old 8R stoves, one basically pristine with the Bakelite knobs and one beater that spends it's whole life bouncing around in the back of my truck as an emergency stove. It's been painted flat OD green and just works, often gets used as a simmering burner for the coffee pot when the regular stove has the griddle on it (which spans all 3 burners). Really dig those suckers.

MDH33
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Now that I'm working weekends I'm going to miss this run, unfortunately. Hope you have a great time.

nattybumppo
06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm gonna miss this trip because of work also. Bummer! I was really looking forward to it. I had my old sleeping bag, pad, VE24, Svea with cast iron skillet, Limmer boots, wool pants, flannels, Marmot anorak, Dachsteins and Duofolds ready to load in the 40!

Old40Dog
06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I drove the Taco about 1/4 the way up Twin Cones this morning to check out the snow situation and there's very little snow on the South peak, couldn't really see the North peak. There a 4-5 campsites about a 1/4 mile past the second gate and we're in the last one. Each site could hold 2-3 tents and vehicles.

Planning to check out CR60 (Hall Valley) in the morning, but will be back at the campsite by 10 AM looking for you guys to come thru.

rover67
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
We are going to have to pass on this one after all...

I expect lots of pictures and posing with old falstaff cans....

Uncle Ben
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry Rude Dog....just can't pull an extra hall pass at this time! Really was eager to fight the mice and moths for the "classic" camping gear! :rolleyes:

theboomboom
06-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Grandparent's 50th wedding anniverssary this weekend, sorry I'm going to have to miss it this year :(

leiniesred
06-05-2010, 12:11 AM
My father-in-law and my wife are already interested in retro camping trip 2.0 (if this one goes OK)

Enjoy that 50th! My GP's 50th had a rockin' polka band. Everyone had a great time. Two of my relatives are professional Polka dancers and trained everyone who claimed they couldn't polka!

leiniesred
06-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Old40Dog. 10:00 is too early. Hopin' to be at the summit at 12:00. -S

FJBRADY
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Two of my relatives are professional Polka dancers and trained everyone who claimed they couldn't polka!

Another Stephen Rudy classic line......that's awesome!