PDA

View Full Version : Best LX450 Mods

mtncrsr
02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a friend who recently purchased a pretty stock LX450 with factory lockers front and rear. He has added rock guards and larger tires. What mods would you next recommend for him to perform in order of importance?

Corbet
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
By rock guards I assume you mean sliders?

Transmission skid plate
HIR headlight upgrade
Communication, HAM or CB
Fridge
Bumper/s winch
Lift
Bigger tires again
this list never ends

mtncrsr
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
By rock guards I assume you mean sliders?

Transmission skip plate
HIR headlight upgrade
Communication, HAM or CB
Fridge
Bumper/s winch
Lift
Bigger tires again
this list never ends

Yes, I meant sliders. Little bit of a brain cramp this morning:D

Inukshuk
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Transmission skip plate

you skip? :eek:

Anyway, see http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

LX450:Princess:=FZJ80 (without some of the fluff)

Corbet
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
you skip? :eek:

just can't type :o or my computer printed the d up-side-down

Snowrun
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Get a center diff lock switch from Christo.

nakman
02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
also buy two of everything on this web site: www.gamiviti.com :)

corsair23
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Loren,

What does your friend want to do with his LX450? Fire roads, groomed forest roads, Moab, the Rubicon?

Based on that we can probably point him in the right direction of where to spend his money first...We love to help others spend their money :D

Corbet
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Get a center diff lock switch from Christo.

and pin 7 mod with that. Allows use of AWD or 4WD in either 4L or 4H. The ability to crawl around in AWD/4L is a big plus on trails like Hells Revenge. High traction and lots of tight turns. Prevents your front axle from binding up.

Hants
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd put them in this order (as budget permits):

0. Baseline maintenance (tune-up, fluids, front axle service, lube, etc.)
1. CDL switch
2. Pin 7 mod
3. Transfer case skid plate
4. Basic recovery gear (shackles, yank strap, jack)
5. Sliders
6. 33" tires (with new speedo gear)
7. 2.5" lift

(sky's the limit)

Nay
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
37's :D

mtncrsr
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
37's :D

Nice!!:D

mtncrsr
02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Loren,

What does your friend want to do with his LX450? Fire roads, groomed forest roads, Moab, the Rubicon?

Based on that we can probably point him in the right direction of where to spend his money first...We love to help others spend their money :D

He would like to do some of the trails out at Moab as well as some of the moderate to harder trails in Colorado. He does not want to go hardcore.

mtncrsr
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
also buy two of everything on this web site: www.gamiviti.com :)

I already told him about your backlit mic holders:D

corsair23
02-04-2010, 11:23 PM
He would like to do some of the trails out at Moab as well as some of the moderate to harder trails in Colorado. He does not want to go hardcore.

Sounds like Hants has him pretty well covered then with his list...

I would add front and rear bumpers and a winch to the list as well.

Once you go beyond that, IMO, you are getting to a whole 'nother level of $$ (i.e. 35" tires, gears, more lift, etc.)

treerootCO
02-05-2010, 02:20 AM

1. CDL switch
2. Pin 7 mod
5. Sliders
7. 2.5" lift

(sky's the limit)

0. Sliders
1. Buy the FSM
2. Baseline maintenance (tune-up, fluids, front axle service, lube, etc.)
3. Basic recovery gear (shackles, yank strap, jack)
4. remove rust rack
5. fix slow driver's window that won't work in the cold
6. fix wet passenger side floor board
7. fix the annoying wind noise coming from the A pillar
8. fix non retracting driver's side seat belt
9. add cup holders
10. ask what the clunk is when cold coming from the driver floorboard
11. ask why the passenger floorboard is so hot
12. fix the nipple on the radiator you broke off on in step 2.
13. fix the antenna that won't go up
14. ask what that burning rubber smell is in the rear fender well
15. 100 series brake pads
16. ask if a 35" tire will fit stock
17. buy G O W Q U springs and immediately post them for sale
18. buy A B C F J springs and immediately post them for sale
19. buy the 4" lift and post them for sale
20. buy the 4" heavies
21. paint your rims black and discuss the finer points of hammerite vs. krylon
22. ask why you only get 4mpg
23. LEDs!
:D

simps80
02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
0. Sliders
1. Buy the FSM
4. remove rust rack
9. add cup holders
20. buy the 4" heavies
23. LEDs!

I love the hints of sarcasm sprinkled throughout ...
it enhances the truth of it all

Shark Bait
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
0. Sliders
1. Buy the FSM
4. remove rust rack
9. add cup holders
20. buy the 4" heavies
23. LEDs!

How do you do #5 and #7? And also #14? Oh, and why do I have a sour fuel smell near the fuel filler door? The gas cap seems to be holding pressure. :confused:

Hants
02-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, do tell. I have #7, #8 and #10, but haven't put any effort into tracking them down. :)

Corbet
02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
#10 is ice between your sliders and rocker panel. Go wash it off with hot water and your cured until the next storm or wait until spring like I do

nakman
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
#8 is dirt in the thing by your shoulder. Seriously, pull the belt back and see how dirty it is. remove that dirt and the belt is faster.

nakman
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
How do you do #5 and #7? And also #14? Oh, and why do I have a sour fuel smell near the fuel filler door? The gas cap seems to be holding pressure. :confused:

#5: pull door panel, cut back plastic, then clean and lube the window tracks and lifting mechanisms.

#7: Check to see if that plastic rain gutter thing is coming off- if so, glue it down or remove it. if that doesn't work, turn up stereo.

#14: you got me there.

gas smell: It's your charcoal canister, will be worse when idling a lot in hot weather. Only real options are buy a new one, or just live with it.

hey this has turned into a sweet tech thread! :beer:

BugEater
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM

1. CDL switch
2. Pin 7 mod
5. Sliders
7. 2.5" lift

(sky's the limit)

Hey guys! Name's Tim. I'm the "friend" that Loren mentioned to start this thread. Thanks for all the great advice and insight. I currently have 4,5,6,7 on the above list and I am working on baselining it. I pulled the dash and am ready to install the CDL switch, but Slee is out and won't have any in for about a month. Any suggestions on where else to locate? Also will be doing the 7 pin mod once I get the CDL hooked up. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back for more input and suggestions.

corsair23
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey guys! Name's Tim. I'm the "friend" that Loren mentioned to start this thread. Thanks for all the great advice and insight. I currently have 4,5,6,7 on the above list and I am working on baselining it. I pulled the dash and am ready to install the CDL switch, but Slee is out and won't have any in for about a month. Any suggestions on where else to locate? Also will be doing the 7 pin mod once I get the CDL hooked up. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back for more input and suggestions.

Hi Tim :D - We got several "Tims" here so that and the fact you know Loren must mean you're a good fella :hill:

If you want a "real" CDL switch then you should be able to order one from your favorite Toyota dealership or Cruiserdan on MUD (parts guru at American Toyota down in NM that gives IH8MUD.com folks a good discount). Other sources are ebay and the IH8MUD classifieds sometimes.

You can also use a hazard switch (same switch, just a different label basically) which can typically be had for a lot less. Just make sure you know which one is which...

You can go ahead and get the pin 7 mod done in the mean time. Just know that when you shift into low range the center diff won't automatically lock. Not an issue unless you are planning to drop a drive shaft soon or go offroad and need to lock the center diff :thumb:

treerootCO
02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
#5 Tim is correct, but it will never be perfect. I replaced all but the guides and it is slow in the cold. I will put new guides in soon. Silicone does help.

#7 is the sunroof gasket. Took me a long time to find that one. You can either replace the rubber (expensive) or stick something in between the gasket to make it tighter. The forums all like RJ11 phone cord because it is flat and cheap.

#8 Nakman is correct....all that is needed is to clean the belt. You can also get a fix it kit from Toyota that reduces the friction where the belt goes past the plastic. It is nothing more than some sticky felt stuff.

#10 Corbet got it, ice on the slider.

#14 to my knowledge has never been figured out....All 80s do it.

The charcoal canister can be purged per the FSM. Don't blow out the one way valve but you can put X amount of psi to the can and clear it out. I'll have to look it up but it is either the purge or the tank line. I blew in it...the correct one blows out the bottom drain tube.

LARGEONE
02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
My add would be the Slee headlight harness....well worth the less than $40. HIR's if you'd like even brighter, but the harness itself it a HUGE improvement to your night vision!!!

Throttle body cleaning would be a great baseline activity...helps your idle and just about every other aspect of how your truck runs.

And, one I still need to do...very low on the list until I do the Temp Gauge Mod...fix the D light that is burned out in the dash!!!

Oh yah...add at least a CB radio so you can go on club runs!

BugEater
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
My add would be the Slee headlight harness....well worth the less than $40. HIR's if you'd like even brighter, but the harness itself it a HUGE improvement to your night vision!!!

Throttle body cleaning would be a great baseline activity...helps your idle and just about every other aspect of how your truck runs.

And, one I still need to do...very low on the list until I do the Temp Gauge Mod...fix the D light that is burned out in the dash!!!

Oh yah...add at least a CB radio so you can go on club runs!

Got the CB, just need to figure out where to mount the radio and the antenna. Any suggestions? Also, my cats need to be replaced soon. While doing that I thought I'd re-route the exhaust from the cats OVER the frame back to the muffler and replace the muffler in the process. Got a price from a shop for $500. Sound reasonable?

calphi27
02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
1. Truck Nuts
2. Another Cupholder
3. Mall Cruiser Sticker
:hill:

corsair23
02-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Got the CB, just need to figure out where to mount the radio and the antenna. Any suggestions?

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_uniden.htm

If you bought a small enough CB, this is a perfect place to install it. Can be done in a way that you can put everything back to stock should you ever need/want to :)

corsair23
02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
3. Mall Cruiser Sticker
:hill:

Nah, he has a LX so he needs one of these :hill:

FJBRADY
02-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Nah, he has a LX so he needs one of these :hill:

Would those pink panties conflict with the truck nuts?

Uncle Ben
02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Would those pink panties conflict with the truck nuts?

http://www.tvland.com/photogallery/photos/Klinger2.jpg

FJBRADY
02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
http://www.tvland.com/photogallery/photos/Klinger2.jpg

Do you know what you have just done? Dave A. will be researching and posting photo's like this all day!

Ain't that right Dave?

Uncle Ben
02-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Do you know what you have just done? Dave A. will be researching and posting photo's like this all day!

Ain't that right Dave?

At first I refrained, then I searched....after I threw up in my mouth a little bit I chose this one as it made me grin (love MASH) which is good as the one that a better match to this thread was just not OK....

FJBRADY
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
That was a great choice....still making me laugh :thumb:

BugEater
02-17-2010, 09:03 AM
You can also use a hazard switch (same switch, just a different label basically) which can typically be had for a lot less. Just make sure you know which one is which...

I tried the hazard switch last night....didn't fit. The CDL plug was too large to fit into the hazard switch.:confused: Did I miss something?

Bikeman
02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
It will fit. I have done two. You have to cut off the two small ridges inside the hazard switch. It wil then snap in.

BugEater
02-18-2010, 08:19 AM
It will fit. I have done two. You have to cut off the two small ridges inside the hazard switch. It wil then snap in.

Yep, fits right in once you snap those ridges off!!:o Thanks! :thumb:

corsair23
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Good to know :) - In all the threads I've read about using the hazard switch, I've NEVER seen anyone mention having to modify it for use as a CDL. Thanks that tidbit of info Mike :thumb:

Jacket
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM

I still reference Treeroot's list of 80 quirks (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=136495&postcount=16) - so many are true. That clunk was driving me crazy for a few days this week, but of course it goes away when the temps go up and there's no more snow and ice....

Kipper
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
#7 is the sunroof gasket. Took me a long time to find that one. You can either replace the rubber (expensive) or stick something in between the gasket to make it tighter. The forums all like RJ11 phone cord because it is flat and cheap.

oooooh ok. i got a shower this weekend in the carwash, water squirting out of the upper trim piece by the windshield.

UB will find a way to make that last statement dirty.

hey treeroot, I also have an LX450. I did some searching and I'm wondering which is better a 37" Trxxus or a 32" Bridgestone dueller, I'm going with a hybrid OME 2" medium/Slee 4"/FOR 3"/MAF level/Progressive/Regressive/Ironman/3 link/4link/5link lift kit. I use the truck for 90% highway driving, 75% off road, 50% around town, 33% camping and mining roads, but mostly 40% expedition. which ones should i buy?
:confused:

Jacket
02-14-2011, 04:38 PM
You should put all those mods behind the MPG Booster (http://mpg-booster.com/). Guaranteed 25 mpgs.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2011, 05:02 PM
oooooh ok. i got a shower this weekend involving water squirting, soap and even some Brillo pad work.

:confused:

Oh the horror! Cant believe you were forced into taking a shower a whole month before you were due! :eek: :p: