PDA

View Full Version : greasable birf

simps80
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I saw this yesterday, it seems to make a lot of sense. ..but I'm new at this.

any thoughts? any big concern?

he mentions it was controversial, but I didn't find any controversy on it ...
other than I guess possibly breaking the shaft itself which that doesn't seem likely,

unless I'm missing something it seems like a really good idea.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/357923-greasable-birfield-cv-joints-done.html

nakman
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I think it's a neat idea, but not for me. Mainly because I like to go inside the knuckles every couple-few years anyway. If you run through a lot of water the stuff inside can still get water in it through the seals, and the gear oil from the diff still mixes through the inner seal at some point. For that matter I have never removed that square fitting either... except one time when the knuckle was off the truck and I was cleaning it.

So if you hate doing axle services and want to put off the next one as long as possible, then this is a cool mod. If you plan on popping the spindle off every 30,000 miles or less, then IMO don't bother. :beer:

corsair23
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I've always been confused by the statement that greasing through the plug doesn't get the grease where it is needed :confused:

Grease gets EVERYWHERE, at least it does when you take things apart and try to clean them :hill:

Seems like a cool idea though, just because, but I'm with Nakman...not for me - Even though I obviously don't enjoy cracking open my front end near as much as he does apparently :D

simps80
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
i guess my thought was with the hole drilled where it is, it gets directly into the back of the joint which is where its hardest to get into, especially just by filling up the cavity.

but yea, if its taken apart on regular interval like nakman said then its kind of overkill i guess maybe with some risk added too...

but it would seem that because that grease gets right into the inside part of the joint that is real hard to pack properly w/o popping it apart, it would extend the life and you wouldn't have to pack that cavity as much etc... minimizing inner seal failure from hub side ... ..

but then I always get back to the logic that toyota didn't put it there, and so i bet they had a good reason, cause even in my limited experience with these trucks so far everything I've looked at is extraordinarily well thought out and engineered.

sleeoffroad
02-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I actually think those would work pretty good. All that grease in the knuckle is really only there for the insides of the birfield. This gets the grease there directly. I would think with these, a couple of squirts of grease with every oil change will ensure the joint has fresh grease all the time. The only items in the knuckle that gets grease is the trunion bearings. Those are normally repacked and the grease stay in them.