PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed...

LARGEONE
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I will most likely be missing the next several meetings. I'm about ready to have the cyst removed from my spinal canal, so I'm going to be laid up for a few months. It will be worth it to be able to walk normal again...or at least stop the progression so I don't lose continence and start peeing on myself for the rest of my life ;)

Surgery at UCLA scheduled for 22 Feb!!! Keep me in your prayers.

Crash
02-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Best of luck Paul. Spinal surgery is always sensitive stuff so I hope you have a great crew of surgeon and staff. Rehab is so important.

LARGEONE
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I believe I have the best of the best. These guys wrote the book on this very rare condition. In fact, the best neurosurgeons in the Denver/Boulder area all missed the diagnosis. I went to UCLA this past week, and was amazed at how these guys worked as a team like the Mayo clinic and others do. My first appointment was nearly 2 hours long...that's longer than all of my appointments in Denver combined!!!

Turns out, I have a intradural arachnoid cyst (web) causing a syrinx in my spinal canal. The condition is called Syringomyelia and can be caused by several things, including a Chiari Malformation from birth. Mine was most likely caused by a sports injury or my early X-games attempts before the X-games were cool!!! The cyst is growing and pushing on my spinal cord which has caused me to lose nearly all sensation in my lower body (below the belt). It's crazy...when I rub on my belly or my lower back, my right leg tingles all the way to the tips of my toes!!!

If I don't do something soon, the next thing to go is urinary continence, bowel control, and sexual function. I'm not chancing any of this...gotta do something soon!!!

Thanks, Steve!

Old40Dog
02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! :thumb:

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers Paul! :)

Big John
02-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery Paul.

FJBRADY
02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Best of luck, Paul......we will be thinking of you. Keep us updated and we will see you back on the trail in no time!

rover67
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Best of luck with the surgery Paul. Who is the doctor doing it?

SRT08BUS
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sending positive thoughts your way, and if it's all right a antioxidant drink that my ladies grandfather stands by as helping him through his recoveries.
I''ll get 2 bottles 2 run buy so you can check 2 see your doctors o.k. it, 2 make sure that it wont be harmful 2 your treatment. One is a Mon-A-VIE(I think) and the other is a A Nu-Skin product (not the liquid skin stuff).

Bikeman
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Paul, it was nice talking on the phone with you. We'll be praying for ya.

AxleIke
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Best of luck Paul!

Lars
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
good luck, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.,

nakman
02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
thoughts are with you, Paul, and just holler if you need a hand with anything around the house.

Uncle Ben
02-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Paul, you are definatly now in our prayers! I echo Nakman and I would be happy to help anyway I can!

Shark Bait
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Ouch! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

farnhamstj
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Good luck.

wesintl
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
best wishes for success paul

60wag
02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope it goes smoothly. Ask the Doc if he will be using any Valleylab tools to do the procedure. :)

RockRunner
02-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Wishing all the best thoughts. Do your exercises and you'll be strong again in no time.

Jacket
02-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Good job sticking with it, and finding the right team to figure out what is wrong. Best wishes for a good outcome and a speedy recovery.

Mendocino
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Congratulations Paul! I am so glad that you found out what was causing the symptoms. Godspeed and let me know if we can do anything to help you and yours. :thumb:

LARGEONE
02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks to all for the well wishes. There will be two Dr's doing the surgery...Dr. Ulrich Batzdorf and Dr. Langston Holly. Dr. Batzdorf is really the guru on Syringomyelia, but he is around 75 years old, so he has been mentoring Dr. Holly over the past 15 years. Dr. Holly is a very accomplished Neurosurgeon at UCLA Med. I was lucky enough to come across Dr. Batzdorf's name while researching my symptoms on the internet. He has really dedicated his life to this rare disorder which is why he really took an interest in my case when I sent him all of my MRI's, CTs, etc. I really am lucky that I found the best in this case.

I've had a lot of surgeries during my short life so far, but this one is the worst. Not just for the seriousness of doing surgery around the spinal cord, but more because I will not be able to pick up my little boy for three months. Doc says I shouldn't lift anything more than my toothbrush for that timeframe. The hard part is trying to keep the pressure in the spinal canal down so that it can heal up without leaking. I know how important this is because my last surgery I had a spinal headache (after the epidural puncture) for an entire month after surgery. Even two blood patches didn't fix the leak in my spinal column. It was miserable...if I lifted my head off the pillow at all, I had the equivalent (or maybe even worse) of a migrane headache for a month. It was worse than the hip replacement!!!

Anyway...thanks again for all of the offers of help. I may be calling, but hopefully I'll just chill for a few months and just get fat!!!

Hope to see y'all soon.

P

corsair23
02-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Best wishes for you Paul :thumb:

ttubb
02-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Sounds like you have had more than your share of medical issues. We will be offering prayers for a speedy recovery. Terry :thumb:

Tch2fly
02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Sounds like you have the right people looking after you.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. :cheers:

nuclearlemon
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
WOW, hope it goes well and good luck with the recovery

Hulk
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Good luck, Paul. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Red_Chili
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
In my prayers!

LARGEONE
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Well...I'm home in Denver three days ahead of time!!! They released me yesterday, and I just really wanted to be home and Cary really needed to be home to properly care for her now TWO BABIES!!!

Surgery was on Monday, Feb 22nd. Surgery was supposed to start at noon and be three hours long. Turned out things were not as easy as the MRI had suggested...I went into surgery at 2:30PM and didn't get out until around 8PM. The Arachnoid Web (Cyst) was much larger than expected and was "stronger" than any they had come across so far. It was about the size of my index finger and was almost completely flattening out my spinal cord. Needless to say, if I hadn't done something, I would have been paraplegic within a couple of years. The surgery took so long because the cyst was adhered to the cord from pushing against it so they had to leave about 5% of the cyst attached to the cord. I'm glad they didn't go "messing" with this. They are unsure of what the long term affects of leaving this piece of the cyst attached, but feel it will naturally de-laminate over time and will at least allow the cord to de-compress and gain function back.

During the surgery they attached electrodes to my skull and other parts of my body and took electrical readings before, during and after. These readings drastically improved which means the conduction through my spinal cord was increased by the surgery. This is good news!!! While there is no guarantee of re-gaining function, I am hopeful with this type of data.

Thanks for the prayers! So far they are working!

Now, on to healing and getting strong again.

Paul

Uncle Ben
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh my! Paul, you have been in my familys prayers. It sounds like things went well considering the difficult procedure. You swift and complete healing will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Good luck Amigo and of course the offer still stands for ANY help I can provide! :thumb::thumb:

bigbluefj
02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
speedy recovery my friend...

ttubb
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
This sure sounds like good news! We will keep the prayers flowing! tt

RockRunner
02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Great to hear Paul, take your recovery serious and you'll be on your feet in no time!

corsair23
02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Good to hear Paul...

Speedy recovery bud :thumb:

60wag
02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I love your description - I can almost feel it, well maybe not. Its good to hear that they were able to measure positive results so quickly. Best of luck in the recovery and keep us in mind if you need help moving something you're not supposed to.

jacdaw
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
So good to read this Paul. Wonderful news!

Jacket
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Hope you're back on your feet soon!

Old40Dog
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Wow! Great news Paul! Now just take it easy...and we'll all be praying for a speedy recovery for you. :thumb: