PDA

View Full Version : MAF disk parking brake conversion adjustment

FJBRADY
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I have a Man-A-Fre disk parking brake conversion on the 40 that needs adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The brake dealie is loose at the disk, although all of the bolts are tight. When the parking brake is pulled everything tightens up but not enough to hold the truck. I need to be able to take the slop out of the assembly so when the brake is engaged only the brake pads move.

Anyone have any luck with this?

If your wondering I did check MUD and the consensus is that this conversion is not any better than the OEM parking brake, but this is what I have today and I would like to pass tech at CM10.

Air Randy
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
The caliper is supposed to be loose so it can float. As long as the bracket is tight to the TC housing it's OK.

On the caliper there is a bolt with a lock nut on it. With the parking brake handle in the full "Off" position, loosen the lock nut, turn the bolt by hand inwards until it is snug, back it off 1/2 turn, hold it in place and tighten the lock nut down.

I installed one of these on my 40. They are notorious for having to be adjusted precisely in order for them to hold well enough to do any good. Because you have to keep the pads dragging lightly on the rotor for it to work well, the pads wear out fast. Between that and the rattling I finally ditched it and put a rebuilt OEM unit on that works well.

Funny thing is my mini truck has a disk brake setup like this that uses the same mechanical caliper (these come off of baggage tug vehicles like you see at the airport) but it works really well. The difference is, the lever that applies the cam that works the caliper is twice the length of the one on the 40. So you get at least twice the clamping pressure possibly more.

FJBRADY
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Randy!

I ordered replacement pads as the forward pad was down to nil. I will give your adjustment suggestion a go once the new pads are in.

TIMZTOY
02-06-2010, 08:05 PM
dont have any experance with tcase ebrake but is ather any adjustment on the cable ? of did you get rid of that part on the rear y half of the cable... but disk brakes always drag a c**t hair on all disk brakes otherwise there would be to much air youd be trying to stop.. and why would you want to try to stop air ????