PDA

View Full Version : Painted the 4runner today

bh4rnnr
02-06-2010, 07:34 PM
So i've been talking with Randy and Ricardo about getting this current project done. As things progressed, I found out Randy would be out till the 13th. Ricardo was ready to help, though a bit hesitant on using his garage. Last week and 45$ later, I picked up the paint from Ace Hardware.
Up at 7am today and preping the truck by 9am, I was a little conserned when it started snowing during my walk from the light rail to work, I decided to wing it and get this project done. By 2pm, I had the OK from the previouse owner:cool:. It took 5 cans of "Sand" to get the cab painted, and two cans of black for the tubes. It may not be a Proffitt's Cruisers paint job, but i'm really happy with how it turned out:cool:.

This was done for the roof rack that will be put on at the end of the month by the Homegrown Crew:bowdown:

Here are some pics, sorry for the quality, I forgot my camera (I'm not a morning person):rolleyes:

Randy and Ricardo, Many thanks!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::beer::beer:

:beer::beer::beer:

P.S: My finger is numb, and should I paint the Diamond Plate?

RicardoJM
02-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow Perry - it looks great. I just rolled in from Greeley and what a surprise to see you indeed knocked it out today:thumb:.

nakman
02-06-2010, 07:46 PM
No way!!! that's sweet, Perry. I vote don't paint the diamondplate.

TIMZTOY
02-06-2010, 08:40 PM
proper prep or just a quicky trail spray and pray ? either way i like it it looks good for a trail truck. did ya clear cote it ?

FJBRADY
02-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Looks great....leave the back half the way it is:thumb:

RockRunner
02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Perry I have to complain a little here. We can't have two Yellow 4runners in the club :rolleyes:

I painted mine in the garage last year before Cruise Moab and yes my finger was numb for two weeks too. Who do you think gave Randy the idea to paint his rig??;)

I guess since you painted it already you can leave it the way it is, it does look good;) And don't paint the diamond plate, it peals pretty easy.

wesintl
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
nice dude!

SRT08BUS
02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Like the color and cant wait to see how looks on the trails!

rover67
02-07-2010, 12:51 AM
looks good man! I vote don't paint the diamond plate...

I like the color you chose.....

bigbluefj
02-07-2010, 01:28 AM
rattle can rules!!!!

ttubb
02-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Looks great, Perry. I vote leave the diamond plate pristine. :thumb: T

Air Randy
02-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I painted mine in the garage last year before Cruise Moab and yes my finger was numb for two weeks too. Who do you think gave Randy the idea to paint his rig??;)

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I painted the Blue Mule in October of 2008! Your truck wasn't painted yet because I told you about how easy rattle can was when I bought the parts washer from you.

And, his truck ain't yella it's sand, looks good too.

I would vote to paint the diamondplate. Go to Walmart and get yourself a can of self etching primer in the automotive paint section. Rough the surface slightly using a medium 3M abrasive pad. Shoot it with the primer and when dry paint as desired. The paint will stick just as good there as any where else on the truck. My 40 is aluminum diamond plate from the firewall back and the paint stuck great using this method.

Looks great Perry, nice job. But dang, now I don't get to use the new respirator I bought. I think we should have a "Rattle Can Paint Job" only run. Who's next? Were building a lot of expertise in this area.

Jacket
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow - that's a serious transformation. Looks really great! When are you going to add the hot pink airbrushing?

Air Randy
02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Also, on the topic of clear coating it:

Pros-It will stay shiny longer and fade less.

Con-When it gets scratched or peels in a spot you will have to spray over your clear coat, thats why I didn't bother doing it on mine.

If mine starts to get a little dull I just spritz her up a little bit with a can or two of fresh paint. Glad to see it only took 5 or 6 cans to paint it. When you said we were going to paint a 4Runner I didn't realize the back half was tube bed, thats why I thought it would take 10-12 cans.

RockRunner
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I painted the Blue Mule in October of 2008! Your truck wasn't painted yet because I told you about how easy rattle can was when I bought the parts washer from you.

And, his truck ain't yella it's sand, looks good too.

Damn drugs :mad::mad: I remember now :o That memory thing was kind of hard back then. :( But OK now so thanks for reminding me :thumb:

It looks bright yellow in the pics but I guess if it is sand it is OK with me :D

And Perry Randy is right with the etching etc. Just wasn't sure if you wanted to do that or just spray. Either way I still say no, it looks good regular and it separates nicely.

Randy, you can use your respirator on my truck, I will need to paint the cage and touch up the body :D

Air Randy
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Alright, we can do that:D

Have you decided what you're gonna do for Moab in March?

bh4rnnr
02-07-2010, 03:09 PM
proper prep or just a quicky trail spray and pray ? either way i like it it looks good for a trail truck. did ya clear cote it ?

I didn't do any prep, just mask and spray. Looking at it today, thinking about spending a bit of time after I get it back from Homegrown.

Perry I have to complain a little here. We can't have two Yellow 4runners in the club :rolleyes:

I guess since you painted it already you can leave it the way it is, it does look good;) And don't paint the diamond plate, it peals pretty easy.

Like Randy said, it's Sand. So dont worry about having two yellow 4runners:p:

Also, on the topic of clear coating it:

Pros-It will stay shiny longer and fade less.

Con-When it gets scratched or peels in a spot you will have to spray over your clear coat, thats why I didn't bother doing it on mine.

If mine starts to get a little dull I just spritz her up a little bit with a can or two of fresh paint. Glad to see it only took 5 or 6 cans to paint it. When you said we were going to paint a 4Runner I didn't realize the back half was tube bed, thats why I thought it would take 10-12 cans.

I'm pondering the idea of clear coating it, but like you've said, I also like the easy repaint if something happens on the trail. Might just build up the coats with some sanding in between.

As for the diamond plate, think i'll wait till I get the truck back to make a finall desicion:blah:.

As for the tubes, Jerry (from Groove Toyota) had a good idea for Color, instead of Black, due a chocolate Brown Color... Thoughts? I'm liking that idea...

And thanks all for the compliments:cheers:

:beer::beer:

DaveInDenver
02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
As for the tubes, Jerry (from Groove Toyota) had a good idea for Color, instead of Black, due a chocolate Brown Color... Thoughts? I'm liking that idea.
Pale yellow and brown, yeah, won't that be both ends of the baby poop color spectrum? Might as well throw in some puke green accents while you're at it. Maybe on the rims or something?

Clear coating a Hilux seems wrong. If you can't go down to Ace and buy a rattle can of enamel to touch up trail rash then you are spending too much effort IMO. Our junk came off the boat with plain old lacquer paint and so even an enamel paint job is a step up. We don't drive Cruisers Perry, so back to your hole!

nattybumppo
02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow! I can't believe that's spraypaint! Looks grand.

bigbluefj
02-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Paint it once a year and your good, this is what i did with bigbluefj always painted it just before Moab so it looked good on the trailer..

Kevin

TIMZTOY
02-07-2010, 08:49 PM

ye'all need to invest into one or two of these there only like 2 bucks at home depo or hobo freight and thell save all your :thumb: and work for all spray cans..

farnhamstj
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Good work Perry. I'd stick with black tubes and leave the diamond plate alone.

Air Randy
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Paint it once a year and your good, this is what i did with bigbluefj always painted it just before Moab so it looked good on the trailer..

Kevin

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

leiniesred
02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Right on Perry. I like it even better than before.

I'm with the rest. Black tubes and raw aluminum diamond plate.

RockRunner
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
ye'all need to invest into one or two of these there only like 2 bucks at home depo or hobo freight and thell save all your :thumb: and work for all spray cans..

I have two of those, they don't work really well for me. Paint collects in the collar and drips all over. if I use the spray cans with a pattern adjuster they work even worse. I even tried cutting part of the open area bigger with no luck so numb fingers it is :rolleyes:

Hulk
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Perry, this looks great. Good color choice.

I vote for raw, unpainted diamond plate. If you're going to paint the roll bars a different color, there are lots of choices that would look good with sand. You could do a dark navy blue -- that would be pretty nice, and would take you out of the baby poop territory.

wesintl
02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I vote not to paint the diamond plate.

as far as the roll tubes... neon is back in style :D

Air Randy
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM

X2 you know me, I like those bright accent colors :hill:

bh4rnnr
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Perry, this looks great. Good color choice.

I vote for raw, unpainted diamond plate. If you're going to paint the roll bars a different color, there are lots of choices that would look good with sand. You could do a dark navy blue -- that would be pretty nice, and would take you out of the baby poop territory.

Sorry Wes, but Navy Blue sounds a little better. Will start loking at colors and finish painting once I get it back from Homegrown. And i'll leave the Diamond plate unpainted (though I will have to clean it up a bit)

Again, thanks all for the compliments:cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Dude...That looks Sweeeeet!!!

I would go traditional and go black on the bars and match your wheels with a fresh coat too..

Your RTT color is going to contrast great with that color..

Sand is a great color...Marco and I swear buy it!!

jacdaw
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
looks great Perry! Of course, it's my favorite Hilux color. I like the accents in black, tho if it were me, the cage, wheels, etc. would be Wimbledon white.

MDH33
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
That looks like a new rig Perry. :cool: :thumb: :beer:

CardinalFJ60
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I can't wait to see it in person! when are you going to park it under the Cowboy?

corsair23
02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Right on Perry. I like it even better than before.

I'm with the rest. Black tubes and raw aluminum diamond plate.

x whatever you are up to now :D

Looks awesome :thumb:

farnhamstj
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I want to see a pic of it outside.

bh4rnnr
02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I can't wait to see it in person! when are you going to park it under the Cowboy?

When you park the 60 out there:D

I want to see a pic of it outside.

Here ya go. Will get better pics after the rack install, second coat of paint and I get the tent back on.

Again, thanks all for the compliments. Tryin' my best to get that "Nicest Mini Truck" Award at CM this year:eek::hill::cheers:

:beer::beer::beer:

CardinalFJ60
02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
...And when the 60 returns after the super-secret special "robbie-ization" of my 2F we'll have to do some poser shots under that mural! :D