PDA

View Full Version : Performance Off Road Center - WARNING

ttubb
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Folks, Just placed a substantial ARB order with these folks on 2/4. Now they do not answer their phones or respond to emails. Suspect something is going on at the firm. Think twice before ordering from them until I get this resolved. Phone 866-613-8819.

ARB had no info on their status.

I will post up as soon as I get the parts or hear back from them. Don't want to hurt their reputation until I have the facts. Terry

sleeoffroad
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
You do know that you have a big ARB dealer right here in the club :D Our prices might not always be as attractive as the on-line box movers, but there is normally a reason for that.

FWIW, ARB obviously has a ton of dealers. Some of them operate on very small margins. Offer very little support, pre or post install. They only move boxes. They are normally some on-line presence that was started as a front for some other company or dealer. Nothing wrong with it, just don't expect anything else than cheap prices.

ttubb
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
You do know that you have a big ARB dealer right here in the club :D

I may have just learned a lesson......Sometimes there are reasons why things are so cheap. T

Air Randy
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Just cancel your credit card transaction, end of story

rover67
02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Just cancel your credit card transaction, end of story

Good point.. I've had to do this with a few online motorcycle part places that were yanking my chain.

The CC company is usually working very much in your favor in this type of situation.

ttubb
02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Spoke with Alex at Performance this morning. It appears they have been quite busy. He indicated the order is being shipped so I guess things will be OK. He appologized for the lack of response on the emails and phone.
I guess it is a two man operation.
I will post up when the stuff arrives. T

Big John
02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
This is why I try to support the vendors on the BB's I'm on. Price may be a touch higher (this is NOT always the case) but said vendors are USUALLY tried and true.

Hants
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
We might want to keep these discussions in the Member's Only section. Would hate for RS to be accused of smearing anyone.

DaveInDenver
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
They are normally some on-line presence that was started as a front for some other company or dealer. Nothing wrong with it, just don't expect anything else than cheap prices.
In some cases they don't even move the boxes, just the web presence and ARB drop ships the products. There is a place for that sort of service when you know exactly what you want and don't expect support. Everyone to some level shops on price vs. service, so saving $100 on a bumper and needed to hit Ace for a couple of missing bolts is different than saving $100 on a locker and needing a new o-ring half through setting up a diff. I would totally expect that you would do what you could to help a guy out with an o-ring at noon on a Saturday if they bought an Air Locker from you and that's why you support the local guys.

Uncle Ben
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
In some cases they don't even move the boxes, just the web presence and ARB drop ships the products. There is a place for that sort of service when you know exactly what you want and don't expect support. Everyone to some level shops on price vs. service, so saving $100 on a bumper and needed to hit Ace for a couple of missing bolts is different than saving $100 on a locker and needing a new o-ring half through setting up a diff. I would totally expect that you would do what you could to help a guy out with an o-ring at noon on a Saturday if they bought an Air Locker from you and that's why you support the local guys.

Rarely, will saving money vrs supporting a brick and mortar shop be a good basis for a purchase. Loose the brick and mortar shop and then pay twice as much as there will be no checks and balance in the equation! :rant:

DaveInDenver
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Rarely, will saving money vrs supporting a brick and mortar shop be a good basis for a purchase. Loose the brick and mortar shop and then pay twice as much as there will be no checks and balance in the equation! :rant:
This argument over mail order vs. the local bike shop (LBS) has been going on for 20 years. When I was working in a shop we'd get dunderheads all the time coming in asking us to help them install this or fix their screw up from that. They'd get all huffy when we'd quote them an hour of labor for $20 to rethread their cross threaded bottom bracket or whatever. We'd tell them if you'd have spent the extra $5 and bought the part from us we'd have installed it for free, saving them $15 in the end. Our stock answer for how tight to make something was "Tighten until you break the bolt and back off 1/2 a turn." They'd expect us to tell them all the secrets or train them how to do our jobs, as tho beer was free for us shop monkeys to buy.

ttubb
02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Just received the two ARB RD132s plus the CKMA12 Compressor. Air hose in coming by mail.
It appears PORC does deliver as advertised, but you may have difficulty communicating with them in the process. Great price so I guess it was worth the worry. :thumb: