PDA

View Full Version : Blue Notch Canyon, Memorial Day weekend, 2010.

bh4rnnr
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Originaly this was planned for our Pre-Cruise Moab wonderings for 2010, but someboday had to chang things up:cool:. So, i'm planning this for the holiday weekend after CM2010. Planning the full three days. Trail is remote, and seldom used, but puts you on the shores of Good Hope Bay on Lake Powell. I plan to spend most of the weekend there, but there is always Piute Pass and Red Canyon if exploration gets the best of us:perry:.

I have not been on this trail, but am posting a minimum of 31 inch tires and at least a rear locker due to remote location of the trail.

Here are some pics (borrowed from Expeditionutah.com) to help fuel the fire:D:headbang:

:beer::beer::beer:

nakman
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Neat- so how long would it take to get to there from here?

Red_Chili
02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Awesome. I am guessing one would have to take the Friday and Tuesday before and after, off work? If so I'd better jump on it, likely to be hard to get.

bh4rnnr
02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Neat- so how long would it take to get to there from here?

Guestimating about 7 hours from Denver. Blue Notch is west of Dark Canyon Primative area, on the other side of the highway.

Awesome. I am guessing one would have to take the Friday and Tuesday before and after, off work? If so I'd better jump on it, likely to be hard to get.

I was thinking of doing it with just the 3days, but could always add on another day:blah:

Hulk
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow. That is beautiful!

Red_Chili
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
So lessee... you take I-70 past our normal US 191, taking exit to UT24, down to Hanksville, thence on UT95 south southeast to White Canyon or thereabouts? Am I looking at the right area?

If it all is in three days (maybe taking off Friday at 2:30 or 3?) that would not be all that hard to pull off. Might need to bring the dogs, is it a dog friendly area?

[edit: looks to be about 9 hours of driving actually]

Inukshuk
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
9 hours to be safe. On Powell dogs are ok. Check Recreation area website for the rest. I have been there via the lake. is beautiful. If I am in the US that weekend I'll be on a houseboat on Powell, south though where the canyons are better.

bh4rnnr
02-10-2010, 06:16 PM
So lessee... you take I-70 past our normal US 191, taking exit to UT24, down to Hanksville, thence on UT95 south southeast to White Canyon or thereabouts? Am I looking at the right area?

If it all is in three days (maybe taking off Friday at 2:30 or 3?) that would not be all that hard to pull off. Might need to bring the dogs, is it a dog friendly area?

[edit: looks to be about 9 hours of driving actually]

Yep, South of Hite Crossing and West of White Canyon.

And you hit on my thoughts for this trip Bill, head out afternoon sometime Friday. After getting to the trail head Saturday, we'd have Sat and Sunday to enjoy the area.

The only issue would be coming back, knowing the traffic that likes to hang on I-70 during that weekend. We could always break it up again and do some explorin' on the way out, of course, making sure to stop at Ray's Tavern for a burger:blah:

corsair23
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Would this be a kid friendly trip? I.E. swimming in the lake? Sounds like a fun trip :thumb:

bh4rnnr
02-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Would this be a kid friendly trip? I.E. swimming in the lake? Sounds like a fun trip :thumb:

Yes:)

cruiseroutfit
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Blue Notch is a great place to chill out and do some leisure camping. Can't beat the view from camp plus you can dive into the water just feet from your camp :cool:

bh4rnnr
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Blue Notch is a great place to chill out and do some leisure camping. Can't beat the view from camp plus you can dive into the water just feet from your camp :cool:

:drool::drool::smokin::headbang:

Convert
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Hmmmm

Mendocino
02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
This is looking interesting. Perry, is the trail portion out and back, or would it be a loop? I may want to trailer the 40 instead of ~18 hours of highway driving.

Also, is anyone interested in coming back on Tuesday? I would not mind missing the traffic but would like to caravan, especially if I'm driving the 40.

bh4rnnr
02-11-2010, 09:45 PM
This is looking interesting. Perry, is the trail portion out and back, or would it be a loop? I may want to trailer the 40 instead of ~18 hours of highway driving.

Also, is anyone interested in coming back on Tuesday? I would not mind missing the traffic but would like to caravan, especially if I'm driving the 40.

Jeff, currently, this is planned as a out and back trip. That water is looking to:cool:.

Now that the lake is lower, it has opened up a loop route not accesable in many years. With the lower water one can now travel between Red Canyon and Blue Canyon. There is some different thoughts regarding Red Canyon and Piute Pass, guess we will just have to make or own some time here soon:blah:.

Red_Chili
02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I got the Tuesday after Memorial Day off!

Ahm ya huckleberry.

bh4rnnr
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I got the Tuesday after Memorial Day off!

Ahm ya huckleberry.

Guess i'll have to start working on getting that Tuesday off.

And going on this them Huck, what about getting some rubber rafts or inner tubes and do some explorin' within the bay:D

Mendocino
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Guess i'll have to start working on getting that Tuesday off.

And going on this them Huck, what about getting some rubber rafts or inner tubes and do some explorin' within the bay:D

Great idea!:thumb:

Air Randy
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
How hot is it going to be there that time of year?

RockRunner
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
How close is a marina? May want to make it a longer weekend and take the boat there. Is the road nice enough to drive a trailer down it? I guess we could park the trailer at the marina and drive/ride to the meeting spot.

We normally go with about 4-6 other people to Moab but this looks to pretty to pass up. We'll have to see what the wife thinks.

bh4rnnr
02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
How hot is it going to be there that time of year? That time of year is fairly pleasent. June started to get hot in Beef Basin.

How close is a marina? May want to make it a longer weekend and take the boat there. Is the road nice enough to drive a trailer down it? I guess we could park the trailer at the marina and drive/ride to the meeting spot.

We normally go with about 4-6 other people to Moab but this looks to pretty to pass up. We'll have to see what the wife thinks.

Closest Marina would be Hite Crossing. You could always park at hite and meet us via speed boat. Just don't run over my inner tube:eek::hill::cheers:.

Mendocino
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Is there a map showing the trail; pictures would also be good if they are available? Would we camp in one spot for the entire time?

bh4rnnr
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Is there a map showing the trail; pictures would also be good if they are available? Would we camp in one spot for the entire time?

Jeff, i'll work on this. Current plan is to camp in the same spot.

RockRunner
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
So how long of a trip would Hite Crossing be? If we do it we would take the Dodge with the camper on it and the boat. Sharon could drive the boat and I would take the truck depending on how much extra time it would add.

Can the Dodge make it??

Mendocino
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
So how long of a trip would Hite Crossing be? If we do it we would take the Dodge with the camper on it and the boat. Sharon could drive the boat and I would take the truck depending on how much extra time it would add.

Can the Dodge make it??
Good question. Ideally I would take the crewcab and trailer the 40. It would be very convienant if the crew cab and trailer could make it to the camp spot. Btw-I did read that the lake is pretty cold in May and that wet suits are needed for skiing.

nattybumppo
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Some pics here.
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-reports/powell_blue_notch_2006/

bh4rnnr
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Can the Dodge make it??

What about just taking the speedboat from Hite to camp? As others have stated, it's about 9 hours to the trail head from Denver.

Good question. Ideally I would take the crewcab and trailer the 40. It would be very convienant if the crew cab and trailer could make it to the camp spot. Btw-I did read that the lake is pretty cold in May and that wet suits are needed for skiing.

I'd be hesitant about bringing this kind of vehicle on the trail. I understand your thoughts, but as stated, this trail is a remote seldome used road. It may be fine and we could blast all the way to camp @ 60mph. Or it could be the complete opposite... I stay hesitant, only cause I have not been and give you a good answer. We can plan this trip a in and out, so you can get back to the tow vehicles.

From the trail head, it looks to be a good 15-20 miles to camp.

Jeff, here is a map I (again) borrowed from Expedition Utah. Also more pics.

:beer::beer:

Red_Chili
02-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I think the Dodge might have trouble.. :lmao:

Wow, what an awesome MOTORCYCLE trip too! Maybe Tramontana will spot this thread.

Looking forward to it.

RockRunner
02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
I think the Dodge might have trouble.. :lmao:

Looking forward to it.

Hey it is locked and on 35"s :D Of course the full size camper on the back may cause a small problem in the tight areas :rolleyes: It will just take a little finesse driving and a heavy foot on the throttle if that doesn't work:D

Mendocino
02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
This NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949231) site has some good narrative on the area and the trail. It seems that there are a lot of the same pictures on Expedition Utah. Good stuff.:thumb:

This overnight loop has the dual goals of taking you on some seldom driven mining roads while delivering you to a rare vehicle accessable primitive campsite on the shore of Lake Powell.

Blue Notch Pass is a rough dirt road drive from Hwy 95 that most of the people you see at the shore will have used to to get there. The adventure begins when you drive out through Red Canyon and over Piute Pass.

There was quite a bit of prospecting going on in the Red Canyon area before the creation of Lake Powell that left a number of old roads. The shrinking lake has uncovered enough of the lower part of Red Canyon that the route where it connected to Blue Notch Canyon has once again become accessable. This canyon filled in with sediment when the lake was full, then the tamarisk came along to form thickets in the soft, moist sand. Now that the lake has dropped 100+ feet, this sediment is getting washed away by the intermittent stream that floods Red Canyon whenever it rains. The tamarisk is doing what it was originally imported to do, namely stabilize the banks of the canyon. This has caused tall, vertical cutbanks to form. The challange is to find your way through the overgrowth of this invasive plant to the one point where there is no cutbank. The map, and more importantly, the track and waypoints in the .gpx file, will help you locate this point. There are several dead end spurs along the the main route, now it should be easier to determine which way not to go as most of them have been recently marked with "route closed" posts. You will find a set of pruners or a saw handy when you get into the tamarisk because it rapidly reclaims the trail. Be careful when you make it to Red Canyon proper- the water table is close to the surface here and it is easy to find quicksand, especially after a rainstorm. Do not use this route if thunderstorms threaten as it is flood prone.

Driving upcanyon, in a little less than a mile you will climb above the high water mark to find a better defined Red Canyon Road, which will meander across the stream. After that the canyon will become broader and drier. In 9 miles or so, Piute Pass will come in from the left side of the canyon. This road is marked with a "Canyon Riders Trail" signpost and seems to be used primarily by ATVs, judging by the narrowness of the road in several places. It winds up and over some colorful clay hills that would not be fun when wet, then takes you for a short drive through Blue Canyon before climbing the 2000 feet up to Piute Pass. This whole area is crisscrossed with prospecting roads and a longer loop can be made, if you desire.

In late 2007 Glen Canyon National Recreation Area began the process of revising their OHV travel plan. I submitted the point connecting these two trails below lake level on roads that predated the dam and lake to be included in that plan. There will be more opportunities to comment on this plan in the months to come, hopefully it will be added to the map!

http://www.fototime.com/40D846377050903/orig.gif

http://www.fototime.com/8F14598EADCD77C/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1E4ACE06B7060AC/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B5DD21C827EDC66/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/68A6ACC266218B6/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3C0963CFCE78B8D/orig.jpg

:cheers::cheers:

bh4rnnr
02-14-2010, 05:32 PM
This NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949231) site has some good narrative on the area and the trail. It seems that there are a lot of the same pictures on Expedition Utah. Good stuff.:thumb:

http://www.fototime.com/40D846377050903/orig.gif

http://www.fototime.com/8F14598EADCD77C/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1E4ACE06B7060AC/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B5DD21C827EDC66/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/68A6ACC266218B6/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3C0963CFCE78B8D/orig.jpg

:cheers::cheers:

That's the same guy posting on both forums. He has some great trip reports.

rover67
03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey Perry, I think I'd like to do this trip. Need to make sure we don't have something else planned first though. I tend to forget about things sometimes.

Convert
03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Perry
Looks like Trudy and I are in and were hoping BVB will be also:thumb:

bh4rnnr
03-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey Perry, I think I'd like to do this trip. Need to make sure we don't have something else planned first though. I tend to forget about things sometimes.

Perry
Looks like Trudy and I are in and were hoping BVB will be also:thumb:

Sweet:thumb:

jacdaw
03-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Also, is anyone interested in coming back on Tuesday? I would not mind missing the traffic but would like to caravan, especially if I'm driving the 40.Jeff, I will not have a locker by then, so if you promise to tug me through the rough patch, I will stay and caravan with you on Tuesday.:D

Mendocino
03-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Jeff, I will not have a locker by then, so if you promise to tug me through the rough patch, I will stay and caravan with you on Tuesday.:D
Have strap will tug.:)

I still have not sorted out my trailer deficit though.:rolleyes:

jacdaw
03-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Have strap will tug.:)

I still have not sorted out my trailer deficit though.:rolleyes:If you drive the 40, rest assured you will be able to drive faster than my hilux.:( Or at least you won't be eating my dust on I-70.

pramjockey
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
This sounds interesting. Something my basically-stock FJC could make it through?

The trick would be getting Tuesday off - I have to save up PTO for a kayak trip in July. If I could leave Fri and make it back Monday night, I'm thinkin that I'd like to join.

Rotorgeek
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I put in for the time off, so as long as it gets approved i'm in!:cheers:

Red_Chili
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Pets are allowed except:
-Along the San Juan River from Clay Hills Crossing upstream to the Glen Canyon NRA boundary as designated by required permit available through the Bureau of Land Management.

-Dogs and other companion animals are prohibited from entering Coyote Gulch within the boundaries of GCNRA. (This prohibition does not apply to guide dogs accompanying visual impaired persons or to hearing ear dogs accompanying hearing impaired persons.) This prohibition includes all dogs or other pet animals used to carry or transport recreational equipment or food.

Where is that exactly?

[edit] Ah, I think I see it. The San Juan River is S and SE of where we will be. Still looking for Coyote Gulch.
[edit2] Ah, found that too. Way west of where we will be. Dogs are good.

bh4rnnr
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Looking out the window at all that white stuff coming down, then going through the pics in this thread, yeah......

Red_Chili
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Well crum, I have a commitment May 28 until 9PM.
I guess I could try to sleep as much of the day as possible, do my prior commitment, then take off after...
Might not be a good plan, dunno. I suppose if I get sleepy I can just pull over and snooze till I'm not.

pramjockey
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Bump - so, just for planning purposes, this is still on, yes?

Mendocino
04-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I am having surgery on 27 May and will not be able to make this.:(

jacdaw
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I am having surgery on 27 May and will not be able to make this.:(Here's to speedy mending Jeff!

Mendocino
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Here's to speedy mending Jeff!

Thanks John.

Rotorgeek
05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
VACATION APPROVED!!:clap:

I was druling on the pictures and happened to notice there were no :campfire:

Are they allowed in this area?

bh4rnnr
05-04-2010, 09:52 PM
So the bad news: Frame is busted on the 4runner. Don't know if I will be making the run. Will continue with planning etc. Would love to ride along, but in the end may not be going. Take lots of pics and rub it in how cool the pace is:mad:.

Sorry guys.

Edit: Marco did an awesome job getting the 4runner drivable again :bowdown:, but I need to do a permanent fix.

Uncle Ben
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
So the bad news: Frame is busted on the 4runner. Don't know if I will be making the run. Will continue with planning etc. Would love to ride along, but in the end may not be going. Take lots of pics and rub it in how cool the pace is:mad:.

Sorry guys.

Edit: Marco did an awesome job getting the 4runner drivable again :bowdown:, but I need to do a permanent fix.

Simple.......
SAS!

:p::D

rover67
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
just ride with somebody man.... either that or we can take the 40 and the 60. still need to get the 40 totally tip top.

no problem on the welding, I'm happy it got you home OK :)

I'd be tempted to say run it, but if it broke it'd suck.

jacdaw
05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Perry, just buy my Hilux for the parts you need and I will put that money towards a Pig. I will entertain very reasonable offers. And no rush to complete the deal either. The tags are good until October.

pramjockey
05-05-2010, 06:47 PM
My passenger seat will be empty in my FJ...

Art Volmer
05-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Hey All, Megan and I may be in for this trip. Do we have a head count and A time set on leaving?

rover67
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Sweet, we are finallizing plans now actually. Allison's sister is flying in to come along.

Perry, you are still on right?

bh4rnnr
05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Sweet, we are finallizing plans now actually. Allison's sister is flying in to come along.

Perry, you are still on right?

I'm realy torn.

If I go, it means a lot of fun.

If I stay, I can put money away, frame a picture for Paul, buy some stuff from Randy and get my dentist bill paid off.

Yeah.....

rover67
05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3160+Aurora+Ave,+Boulder,+Colorado+80303&daddr=green+river,+ut+to:Blue+Notch+Canyon,+Halls+Crossing,+UT+to:3160+Aurora+Ave,+Boulder,+Colorado+80303&geocode=FYpnYgId4_y5-SnRzrGKuO1rhzHi0xy7dg1dJw%3BFTIFUwIddBBv-SnF7TT5-_BIhzG69V5DmBhapQ%3BFbCCPwIdE4Nq-SmPbdA-8E42hzH0b4Y8c1aiNg%3BFYpnYgId4_y5-SnRzrGKuO1rhzHi0xy7dg1dJw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=38.868275,-107.86538&sspn=4.03729,10.799561&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.727586,-110.430751&spn=0.015682,0.027165&z=15

Our plans are to head out Friday after work and hopefully make it to the Lone Warrior campground just west of Green River (exit 131 on I-70) for sleepy time.

Saturday we'll head the rest of the way to Blue Notch.

A fiend of mine is now also coming in his Tacoma so we have space for fire wood.

bh4rnnr
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Just a heads up that I passed this event on to Marco and Art.

Hope you guys have an awesome time and be sure to take lots of pics!

Art Volmer
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Perry you are going to be missed on this trip. I think Megan and I are going to be heading out Friday around 9 am so we can set up a base camp.

bh4rnnr
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Wanted to make sure to tell you guys to check on fires. Something I didnt look into. Camp will be in Glen Canyon.

rover67
05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Perry you are going to be missed on this trip. I think Megan and I are going to be heading out Friday around 9 am so we can set up a base camp.

We'll bring up the rear!

Yeah Perry, sorry yo uhave to pass on your own trip, hopefully we'll do it justice.

We'll check on fires, I was just kind-of assuming they would be OK.

rover67
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Alright,

Just wanted to post up here and confirm that the trip is still on and get a list of folks that are going started just to make it easier for me to visualize.

Bill Morgan + Pup- maybe
Art & Meghan Volmar + Pup - in
Trey & Dana Smith + Pup(riding with art) - in
Marco, Allison, Adrian + Pups - in
Kris Westbrook (Marco's friend in a tacoma) - in
pramjocky - in
rotorgeek - in

The Plan right now is for Art and crew to depart Friday with enough time to make it to the camp site on Lake Powell Friday night. I will leave Boulder with our crew around 5pm Friday evening. We will probably not make it the whole way there since that would put us in at around 2am. It will likely be an on the fly decision.

IF we decide to stop for the night, I am going to shoot for the lone warrior campground off of I-70 near exit 131. That'd give us about a three hour drive into Blue Notch Saturday morning.

Both Art and I are tempted to explore the rest of the loop road on Saturday and maybe Sunday. Depending on what we find I might be tempted to try and make an exit on the loop road Sunday and make it a long day drive home. This is totally dependant on the vehicles coming and the condition of the road.

I will work on getting maps for the area and possibly a GPS track unless anybody else has a lead on one. We can meander without the GPS track, but with it we may have a better chance at completing the loop with one.

As Perry stated, on the road trip back I am thinking Ray's for Burgers and possibly some hot springs in Glenwood (no, not the commercial ones or the ones on the river... some others near there that are undeveloped :) )

Looking forward to it!

pramjockey
05-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Sweet!

Pram - definitely in
Rotor got the time off, so he should be in, too.

I'll be leaving Denver hopefully sometime around noon; that puts us in the area fairly late. Because I'm I'm kind of a wuss, I may crash in a motel somewhere near, and meet Saturday morning.

The only caveat I have is that I have to be at work Tuesday morning.

Art Volmer
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Here is a link to the NPS map (http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/upload/mapglencanyonnra.pdf) of the area we are looking at road 651 off of UT95 just under Hite.
This is the link to the FAQ (http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/things2know.htm)of the area. Looks like dogs are okay and I sent an e-mail to check on camp fires and any fees but I think we are going to be okay.
Looks like there is a gas station in Hite that maybe the closest but not sure. From what I understand the area may be short on services like gas stations and hotels just a heads up but I am not sure since I have never been to this part of the state.

rover67
05-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Awesome!

Hey Pram, what's your and Rotor's names? Also do yo uguys have CB or HAM radios?

maybe we can meet saturday morning somewhere and drive in together. Hite?

edit: just called to confirm that the Chevron in Hanksville is open to 10 and they have 24hr pay at the pump in case you are rolling in late..

Stan's Chevron‎- more info
150 S Highway 95, Hanksville, UT‎ - (435) 542-201

Also, the pumps at Hite just off of 95 are also 24hr pay at the pump and it is the closest place to where we head in.

Not sure about motels, but you may want to call around iin hanksville and see if there is one, I don't remember and we were there only a few weeks ago :)

Inukshuk
05-13-2010, 11:33 AM
This will be an amazing trip and if I was not already driving to Wahweap to do a 4 day house boating trip, I'd be with you all. Since we'll be about 100 water miles away I also can't stop by for a visit, but I have camped on Good Hope Bay and you will love it. Having been to Lake Powell almost every year since 2003, and the Swell, Capital Reef, Henry Mountains and Robbers Roost several times, here is my $.02:

IF we decide to stop for the night, I am going to shoot for the lone warrior campground off of I-70 near exit 131. That'd give us about a three hour drive into Blue Notch Saturday morning.

This is a rather large detour given your goals. Blue Notch Canyon is off 95 south of Hite. Its a solid 7 hour drive (in my fast 80) just to Hite. If you go to Lone Warrior you will have to go past the Hanksville (Hwy 24) exit (exit 149) on I-70 18 miles, dirt to the campground (I am not sure exactly how far) and then backtrack. Instead I suggest near Goblin Valley as a great place to stay the night (there is a great little amphitheater which is on your left off Goblin Valley Road (38.619561, -110.674264)) (you could spend a whole day exploring Goblin Valley so maybe just as well to drive right past), or turn off on any small dirt road to sleep. About 1 mile before you cross the Colorado River there is a road on your left that has plenty of space just a ways up.

possibly some hot springs in Glenwood (no, not the commercial ones or the ones on the river... some others near there that are undeveloped :) )

I have never used the ones on the river (the hippy dips?) and last time I was in South Canyon it was gross. Which ones do you use?

Other:
Gas in Hite is closest. Smart that you called. I still suggest that you get gas at the Hole in the Rock shop in Hanksville (on your left at the Junction of 24 & 95 (38.373659, -110.704878)). Then top off at Hite if they are open. This is seriously remote country. Also, they have a tire shop in the Hole in the Rock shop in case you need it (ask me how I know....). I like this gas station because its cool and local and they saved my butt when I had a gallon of water in my tire from popping a bead in the river. I have never used Stan's Chevron.

Hotels to stay in: There is not much in this area but desert and rocks. There are, I think, two hotels in Hanksville. There are a few in Green River.

Marco - After this one lets plan another!

rover67
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input Daniel! Yeah, I called all of the gas stations in hanksville and that chevron was the only one that answered so i went ahead and posted up what I had confirmed. We will be filling up in Hanksvill and topping off in Hite as you suggest.

Also, thanks for the gobblin valley info, I know lone warrior is a detour but I figured why not... also we can take the temple Mt. rd back over to 24. we'll see how everybody feels that night :)

bh4rnnr
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
There's also some great camping north of the intersection for Goblin Valley/Temple Mountain. One of the canyons is kinda like a slot canyon for vehicles. very:cool:

pramjockey
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Awesome!

Hey Pram, what's your and Rotor's names? Also do yo uguys have CB or HAM radios?

maybe we can meet saturday morning somewhere and drive in together. Hite?

edit: just called to confirm that the Chevron in Hanksville is open to 10 and they have 24hr pay at the pump in case you are rolling in late..

Stan's Chevron‎- more info
150 S Highway 95, Hanksville, UT‎ - (435) 542-201

Also, the pumps at Hite just off of 95 are also 24hr pay at the pump and it is the closest place to where we head in.

Not sure about motels, but you may want to call around iin hanksville and see if there is one, I don't remember and we were there only a few weeks ago :)

I'm Luc, Rotor is Micah. He's got a ham - KC0UNT.

Saturday morning sounds good. I did a bit of googling and there's a few places that look OK to crash Friday night, then we can get up early and meet in Hite.

Micah and I will be under his truck tomorrow anyway, so we'll discuss and set up more formal plans.

rover67
05-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the info!

Red_Chili
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Rats- I may be iffy after all. Sounds like a great time! I will post up as plans firm or fall through. Also- if I come there will only be one pup :(

rover67
05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Rats- I may be iffy after all. Sounds like a great time! I will post up as plans firm or fall through. Also- if I come there will only be one pup :(

No problem Bill, just let us know! Hopefully you can make it :)

Caribou Sandstorm
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
hmmmm this has me thinking..

Is ther room for another FJC, promiss to be less stressed then the last gathering...:o

rover67
05-14-2010, 01:37 PM
absolutely!

Come on!

rover67
05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Does anybody have a membership to this forum? I became a member, but I think yo uneed to be a paid member in order to download the gps track.....

I also PM'ed the guy that posted it and he hasn't gotten back to me..

[QUOTE=Mendocino;137714]This NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949231) site has some good narrative on the area and the trail. It seems that there are a lot of the same pictures on Expedition Utah. Good stuff.:thumb:

bh4rnnr
05-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Does anybody have a membership to this forum? I became a member, but I think yo uneed to be a paid member in order to download the gps track.....

I also PM'ed the guy that posted it and he hasn't gotten back to me..

[QUOTE=Mendocino;137714]This NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949231) site has some good narrative on the area and the trail. It seems that there are a lot of the same pictures on Expedition Utah. Good stuff.:thumb:

Are you talking about ExpeditionUtah? I do. You need to join, it's easy and lots of good info! Kurt got the whole idea going.

Art Volmer
05-17-2010, 06:07 PM
So I heard back from the park service. This is what Greg Anderson sent me today.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The entry fee for Glen Canyon Natl. Rec. Area
is $15 per vehicle for a seven day pass to the area. Camp fires are legal.
All dogs should be leashed so as not to disturb wildlife. Thank you for
your human waste compliance, it is appreciated.

Enjoy your visit.
Greg Anderson
Headquarters
Glen Canyon NRA"

:campfire::campfire::campfire: So the party is on.

rover67
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Sounds Awesome Art, thanks for checking.

If we can all bring a little bit of wood we should have plenty. There is a place just north of us here in boulder that sells it by the bundle for $2.25.

Also, Last night allison and I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Uncle Ed's Pale ale to bring along. It should be kegged by then. Recipie was care of our own Nathaniel Miller. We'll have to taste test it and see what we think! Hopefully I did it justice!

Rotorgeek
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Heck yea, still in for this. and as Pram said, it's Micah and call sign is in the siggy!!

:woot: of the :campfire: info.
I am also driving the Taco so I am going to bring some and have room for wood.

rover67
05-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Sweet! A buddy of mine found the gps track, so hopefully that'll help find the second leg of the road.

05rub
05-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Here is the link to the GPX file list.

http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails/utah-gps-tracks

rover67
05-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Well, I am just a few hours away from officially starting packing!!!!!

I am excited!

Mark, do you think you can make it?

05rub
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Im thinking so. You should call when you get a chance.

Rotorgeek
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
T-8 hours till the end of my work day, then it's VACATION and 4 wheeling!:cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
05-26-2010, 05:48 PM
jealous..look forward to seeing the pics.

rover67
05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
jealous..look forward to seeing the pics.

Bummer you can't make it...
have seats if you want to ride along...
we'll miss ya.

pramjockey
05-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Pulled all the camping stuff from storage, and got the trucks as ready as they're going to get. It's still not clear what time I'll be able to get out of work tomorrow. Where are we meeting Saturday morning, and at what time?

rover67
05-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Luc, are you and Micah travelling together?
Lets shoot for a meeting time of 11am on saturday at the put-in at Hite crossing.

We'll be there refueling and we'll wait on ya for an hour or so.

CB Channel 4

HAM Frequency 146.460

Also, feel free to just go ahead and cruise in to camp saturday if you want, The road should be pretty easy to navigate. No real need to meet unless you'd like to. Please let me know if you won't be stopping at Hite though.

I'll PM you my cell also.

pramjockey
05-28-2010, 08:25 AM
We're hoping to convoy - it all depends on when I get out of work.

I'll be staying in Caineville. Is this the put in for hite crossing?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rodeway+Inn+near+Caineville,+UT&daddr=Hite+Crossing,+Bullfrog,+UT+84533&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.857507,-110.190125&sspn=1.136305,2.150574&ie=UTF8&ll=37.861844,-110.381012&spn=0.568122,1.075287&z=10

If so, 11:00 is perfect; I'll only need an hour to get down there.

Man, I hope work goes quickly today!

rover67
05-28-2010, 08:46 AM
OK sounds good! I was just curious since Micah has a ham. That is the area, you'll approach lake powell on 95 and cross over a bridge right where "B" is marked on that map you posted. Drive a bit more and the turnoff for the marina area is on the right.... you'll see it, it's close to the bridge.

give me a buzz on my cell today if you need anything.

we'll be in touch on Ham and cb.

c ya at Hite!

CB-4
HAM- 146.460

Rotorgeek
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Yea we are rolling together if he gets done in a reasonable time. Meetup sounds good for 1100. I'll get ya on 146.46, no CB.

Art Volmer
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
leaving now to set up base camp. See you all on Saturday for some swimming and relaxing. :cheers:

bh4rnnr
05-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Have fun guys!:bowdown:. Will be working all weekend:(.

rover67
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Yea we are rolling together if he gets done in a reasonable time. Meetup sounds good for 1100. I'll get ya on 146.46, no CB.

My guess is we will be rolling out at around 6pm. We will be monitoring collorado connection while we are in colorado as well if you'd like to call for us there.

talk to ya later!

rover67
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Have fun guys!:bowdown:. Will be working all weekend:(.

We'll miss ya perry!!

satchel
05-31-2010, 09:27 PM
I guess I lost my phone out there somewhere, so if anyone has it or saw it please let me know.

Trey

rover67
06-01-2010, 12:20 AM
yikes, we haven't seen it... We'll look through our stuff when we unpack tomorrow.

Glab you made it back safely!!

I only took a few pictures, I'll post them up later. It was a great trip!

Art Volmer
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Tray I looked through all of are stuff and did not see it. I hope it is in your truck hiding.

bh4rnnr
06-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Waiting for the pics/report:blah:

rover67
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm working on it, I've resized the pictures but need to post it all.

after lunch

satchel
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I would post up my pics but they are on my phone.

05rub
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
pics in trip report here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13195

Mendocino
06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm working on it, I've resized the pictures but need to post it all.

after lunch
Impatiently waiting in Moscow...