PDA

View Full Version : 100 Octane in Grand Junction?

Crash
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Anyone know of a gas station in Grand Junction that sells 100 octane unleaded? Last time I checked in Cisco, they weren't selling it there anymore. :D

60wag
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I think they have it at the Moab airport :)

Red_Chili
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
My word, what in the world you runnin' that needs near av-gas?? Even my scooters are happy with premium.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
You can get 112 Octane in Arvada at that big Sinclair Station up there......if that helps any........

Crash
04-18-2006, 09:17 AM
My word, what in the world you runnin' that needs near av-gas?? Even my scooters are happy with premium.

A chainsaw? Nah, a mighty, rompin' stompin' 3FE that has been massaged by our favorite FJ Cruiser Team driver!! Problem with the setup is that the ECU isn't very bright and has no knock sensor to retard timing at partial throttle resulting in pinging on occasion. It runs perfectly happy on 93 octane and 91 is marginal, especially during hot weather, so mixing in a few gallons of 100 brew makes everyone happy. Either that, or retard the timing a few degrees but at Moab, the more power the better!
Bruce, are you talking about 114 octane av gas at the airport or the garden variety 100 octane that can be found at several stations here in Denver? I can always haul a jerry can of 100 from Denver but would rather not have that on board over the Great Divide.
Thanks.

Crash
04-18-2006, 09:18 AM
You can get 112 Octane in Arvada at that big Sinclair Station up there......if that helps any........

Where dat?

Uncle Ben
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
A chainsaw? Nah, a mighty, rompin' stompin' 3FE that has been massaged by our favorite FJ Cruiser Team driver!! Problem with the setup is that the ECU isn't very bright and has no knock sensor to retard timing at partial throttle resulting in pinging on occasion. It runs perfectly happy on 93 octane and 91 is marginal, especially during hot weather, so mixing in a few gallons of 100 brew makes everyone happy. Either that, or retard the timing a few degrees but at Moab, the more power the better!
Bruce, are you talking about 114 octane av gas at the airport or the garden variety 100 octane that can be found at several stations here in Denver? I can always haul a jerry can of 100 from Denver but would rather not have that on board over the Great Divide.
Thanks.

Octane booster? On my BJ80 ( :lmao: ) I have discovered that I can run the 3" pulley AND have the timing advanced 4*AND run cheaper mid grade fuel with the addition of good octane booster. I bought a case through NAPA and with my discount it works out to be right at $2 a bottle. Basically, that ends up being about the same price as 91 oct is but the advantage is when I can't get premium I still have options AND power. Of course I carry the 3.2" pulley too just in case.

Crash
04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Octane booster? On my BJ80 ( :lmao: ) I have discovered that I can run the 3" pulley AND have the timing advanced 4*AND run cheaper mid grade fuel with the addition of good octane booster. I bought a case through NAPA and with my discount it works out to be right at $2 a bottle. Basically, that ends up being about the same price as 91 oct is but the advantage is when I can't get premium I still have options AND power. Of course I carry the 3.2" pulley too just in case.

Your truck's computer is a Cray Super Computer compared to the Commodore 64 that Toyota calls a computer on the 3FE.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Your truck's computer is a Cray Super Computer compared to the Commodore 64 that Toyota calls a computer on the 3FE. True and it will compensate very quickly from input from the knock sensor but octane is octane. Metabiobalupa ( :lmao: ) based octane booster is the same chitski they use to raise the octane at the pump! Try it what do you have to loose other than ring lands? :eek:

EDIT: Dang....took longer to edit out typos than it did to type the post in the first place! :rolleyes:

Crash
04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
True and it will compensate very quickly from input from the knock sensor but octane is octane. Metabiobalupa ( :lmao: ) based octane booster is the same chitski they use to raise the octane at the pump! Try it what do you have to loose other than ring lands? :eek:

EDIT: Dang....took longer to edit out typos than it did to type the post in the first place! :rolleyes:

Meta.... oh, never mind. I have used several different octane boosters, including 108 and Amsoil products, to no avail. They may have helped marginally, but didn't do the same thing that adding in some 100 from the pump. What brand does NAPA sell? Ethanol seems to exacerbate the pinging problem as the truck runs noticeably better with non-ethanol laced fuel, which is becoming harder and harder to find.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Meta.... oh, never mind. I have used several different octane boosters, including 108 and Amsoil products, to no avail. They may have helped marginally, but didn't do the same thing that adding in some 100 from the pump. What brand does NAPA sell? Ethanol seems to exacerbate the pinging problem as the truck runs noticeably better with non-ethanol laced fuel, which is becoming harder and harder to find.

Bummer! I don't know Amsoil but it probably is Meta....whatever based. There are two kinds of booster that I know of, Ethanol and Meta...... The original booster was the lead additive (remember 104+?) but obviously that is no longer available. (thats a good and bad thing!) How are the plugs? If it's running too rich it will ping too!

The Napa one I got is the generic NAPA branded 108/STP stuff.

Crash
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Bummer! I don't know Amsoil but it probably is Meta....whatever based. There are two kinds of booster that I know of, Ethanol and Meta...... The original booster was the lead additive (remember 104+?) but obviously that is no longer available. (thats a good and bad thing!) How are the plugs? If it's running too rich it will ping too!

The Napa one I got is the generic NAPA branded 108/STP stuff.

Too rich causes pinging? You need another cupajoe, Kevin? :hill: Don't you mean too lean causes pinging? I've tweaked the AFM and running richer helps reduce the problem.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Too rich causes pinging? You need another cupajoe, Kevin? :hill: Don't you mean too lean causes pinging? I've tweaked the AFM and running richer helps reduce the problem.

:eek: :brick: :doh: ....just checking to see if you were paying attention! :rolleyes: Sorry... :o Leaning raises combustion temps which in turn predetonates fuel....There pulled my toes out of my mouth for at least 5 (now 3) seconds...

Crash
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
btt

Hulk
04-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Steve, did you call the Moab airport?

Crash
04-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Steve, did you call the Moab airport?

Matt,
Yup, I did, and they wanted to know from which direction I was flying if from and if I had a single or multi-engineed craft. :p:
Actually, no I haven't but it couldn't hoit. :thumb: