PDA

View Full Version : 40 Owners, check this out - Hi-Lo Classic Travel Trailer

corsair23
02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I figured this was just a poser shot of a 40 to help sell a travel trailer :)

But then I read the description in the auction and looked at the rest of the pictures :cool:

1998 Hi Lo Classic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hi-Lo-Classic-Travel-Trailer_W0QQitemZ190371411332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRVs_Campers?hash=item2c53053584#v4-30)

We used this two years ago to take a trip around the country, pulled it with a stock 120 HP Toyota Land Cruiser, we could have used a little more HP going over the Rockies, but as far as the trailer went, it performed perfectly.

Mendocino
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Cool!

rover67
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, that truck is gorgeous.

Rezarf
02-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Dude, my trailer about kills my 2f going up the pass... I mean, I am running my hazards behind any semi I can find.

There is NO way that thing pulls that trailer around with any grace.

Just my .02

Uncle Ben
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Dude, my trailer about kills my 2f going up the pass... I mean, I am running my hazards behind any semi I can find.

Just my .02

Maybe it has enhanced mobility under the hood!

Red_Chili
02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
...pulled it with a stock 120 HP Toyota Land Cruiser...
Nope. Maybe they have a high threshold for the passing of time.

corsair23
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Just my .02

:hill:

I found it hard to believe as well given that my LX (with nearly double the HP, not sure about torque which matters more here) huffs and puffs pulling my popup that weighs 1/2 what that thing does :rolleyes:

But the pictures don't lie :) - Maybe he just did what Ige did pulling that popup with her Piggie that one year and dropped the 40 into low :D

Based on the pictures it doesn't look like they were travelling very light either...

Uncle Ben
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Possibility they also live in the plains or at least at sea level and not a mile high with forays over 2 miles high.

corsair23
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Possibility they also live in the plains or at least at sea level and not a mile high with forays over 2 miles high.

They live in Jupiter FL per the auction, but travelled to the Rockies and this is in one of the answers to a question:

We only got 10MPG, these FJ's weren't known for getting good mileage even when they weren't towing. We were underpowered and did a lot of flat footing on inclines.

DaveInDenver
02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
The Mighty Hilux has two right foot positions: brake pedal and trying to push a throttle-pedal-shaped-dimple in the firewall.

However when I go back to St. Louis there is a mystical third position that is heretofore unknown above 5,280', air space under throttle pedal. Weird feeling, that. Funny how descending 4,920' has that affect.

So these folks, being from Flatness probably didn't care one bit that Floyd Hill was slow being that they were busy taking in the mountain vistas I'm sure...

Crash
02-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Another possibility, one that I have experience with, is they spent some serious seat time behind the wheel of a 40hp VW Bus back in the day. 0-60 in five minutes. Yeah baby!!

Jacket
02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
My 40 would look like that if I gave her a bath....;)

Red_Chili
02-12-2010, 07:42 AM
The Mighty Hilux has two right foot positions: brake pedal and trying to push a throttle-pedal-shaped-dimple in the firewall.

However when I go back to St. Louis there is a mystical third position that is heretofore unknown above 5,280', air space under throttle pedal. Weird feeling, that. Funny how descending 4,920' has that affect.

So these folks, being from Flatness probably didn't care one bit that Floyd Hill was slow being that they were busy taking in the mountain vistas I'm sure...
I remember actually grinning when I drove my '82 HiLux to Kentucky to see my dad. Right around eastern Kansas a miracle happened. Had to retard my timing too.

rover67
02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I have to say that the 60 starts to get really entertaining headed back east also..

Two years ago on the trip back to Memphis for Christmas I had been in the truck driving for 17 hours straight when I rolled into Memphis and it was raining. Steady throttle the whole way. Then I pulled into the left lane to pass a truck just before my exit, dropped it in 3rd, and punched it. Rear tires broke loose.... I giggled. Of course it was on the 33's but hey.. how cool is that?

Red_Chili
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Makes me appreciate forced induction.

Rezarf
02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
They live in Jupiter FL per the auction, but travelled to the Rockies and this is in one of the answers to a question: We only got 10MPG, these FJ's weren't known for getting good mileage even when they weren't towing. We were underpowered and did a lot of flat footing on inclines.

Now, I believe!:thumb: