PDA

View Full Version : Brandon's CB thread

SRT08BUS
02-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Just picked up a CB combo 2 get me by till I get a HAM lic., now is there any suggestions on where or who can help my install it? I can pay in beer, cash or a mixture of both!:D

MDH33
02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
What did you buy Brandon? Most cb's and antennas are pretty simple to install yourself. Did you get a SWR meter with your radio too? I'm sure if you posted this up in the HAM and CB section of the forum, there would be folks that could talk you thorugh it or maybe help you out. :cheers:

DaveInDenver
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
What did you buy Brandon? Most cb's and antennas are pretty simple to install yourself. Did you get a SWR meter with your radio too? I'm sure if you posted this up in the HAM and CB section of the forum, there would be folks that could talk you thorugh it or maybe help you out. :cheers:
Does seem about that time for another Green Eggs and Ham Run. When the next big snow storm predicted?

RicardoJM
02-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Brandon, I've got an SWR meter for tuning your antenna. The antenna that I picked up was pretty good and needed very little tuning. We used the SWR meter to check the set up on Bruiser's rig and his was just about spot on as well.

With an FJC the biggest challenge (from my perspective) would be deciding where to put the mounting bracket and antenna. The connections for power and antenna are pretty straight forward.

nakman
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Does seem about that time for another Green Eggs and Ham Run. When the next big snow storm predicted?

Some time between the WBPP and CM- ideally one of the first two Saturdays in April. :thumb:

MDH33
02-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Some time between the WBPP and CM- ideally one of the first two Saturdays in April. :thumb:

I vote for the 1st Saturday in April. I'll be in Montana the 2nd week. I would still like to get my 8800 cloned. :thumb::beer:

SRT08BUS
02-14-2010, 02:10 PM

I like 2 learn with someone who knows what there doing, I'd rather not mess up my DD. I thought that I would post up that I went threw them and was happy with the service so far, and I'll be looking for the green eggs and ham run on the forum. One of the RS members has already answered the call and now I'm just waiting for the package and scheduling.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Brandon,

You can do a seach on the FJCruiser forums in the mean time, to get some ideas on mounting, etc in your Fj.

Here is kind of the treasure chest of how to dos:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/102655-contents-read-first.html

Here is one on the Cobra install:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/42084-cobra-75wxst-cb-installation-w-bandi-mount.html

I installed my Cobra, just under the dash and have it mounted on the left side near passanger feet.

I installed my HAM between the sun visors based on this example:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/66703-overhead-ham-radio-inst-w-pics.html

Hope all this is helpful.

Hulk
02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Guys, I moved these posts to a new thread. It's not nice to clutter up a vendor's thread with the details of a CB install when the equipment wasn't purchased from that vendor.

Thanks,
Matt

corsair23
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
...I thought that I would post up that I went threw them and was happy with the service so far...

Guys, I moved these posts to a new thread. It's not nice to clutter up a vendor's thread with the details of a CB install when the equipment wasn't purchased from that vendor.

In Brandon's defense, I think he actually did purchase from the vendor, the details of that were sort of hidden though :)

That said, Brandon's probably likely to get more help in a separate thread so good call on splitting it out :thumb: - Someday I hope to have the powah' you do :bowdown:

SRT08BUS
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Sorry for posting with out going into much details. I should be getting the kit 2day and I'm going 2 decide on where 2 mount it when I get a chance 2 go over stuff, thanks Chris! I just realized that I have 2 take the back door off 2 put the Bandi door hinge mount.

SRT08BUS
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
In Brandon's defense, I think he actually did purchase from the vendor, the details of that were sort of hidden though :)

That said, Brandon's probably likely to get more help in a separate thread so good call on splitting it out :thumb: - Someday I hope to have the powah' you do :bowdown:

In his defense I think I added that one in after I realized that I posted without going into detail.

corsair23
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
In his defense I think I added that one in after I realized that I posted without going into detail.

Shsssh...Don't tell the man with all the powah' that - it'll go his head :hill:

SRT08BUS
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Shsssh...Don't tell the man with all the powah' that - it'll go his head :hill:

Maybe this one slipped past him?:D

Well it's here and I might try and see if I can do it myself, but might still ask for that favor. I'll post a revue of the vendor later but will say here that they were helpful.

SRT08BUS
02-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I've thought about it some more and think it would be wise that I seek help in installing it. I would just try it myself but have no knowledge in it, and even less tools to get the job done.

corsair23
02-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Sounds like what you need to do Brandon is decide where you want to install the CB based on what others have done first...

Then post up the "plan" and try to get a install session going :D - If you don't get it done before late March I'd be willing to help...Just no time till then

SRT08BUS
02-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like what you need to do Brandon is decide where you want to install the CB based on what others have done first...

Then post up the "plan" and try to get a install session going :D - If you don't get it done before late March I'd be willing to help...Just no time till then

Thanks for the offer but I'm just waiting to see what Sunday would work best for me. Rick M. offered to help, thanks Rick, and now I'm just trying to see if it would be worth it to plan ahead for the ham radio when installing the CB. I hope to post pics!

SRT08BUS
02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I got board and decided to try and install most if not all of it myself. Just got done with the Bandi mount and fire stick, easy I know, now comes the panel removal, I'll post up pic a.s.a.p.

SRT08BUS
02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I found where I wanted to mount the CB after installing the Bandi mount and Fire Stick and spring and went to back up and found a small problem. And this is the angle I have to use when Keryn is home. Still trying 2 run the wire, might wait to do the rest but will give it a try.

SRT08BUS
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
so I'm almost done... can anyone tell me if I can just connect the black wire 2 the (-) side of the battery after connecting the red wire to the (+) side of the battery for powering my CB

Jacket
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
That will get you the cleanest power available. Just remember that it won't turn on/off with your ignition (which can be good or bad).

theboomboom
02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Looks like you're on the right track Brian! For your antenna wire, I'd reccomend sneaking it through that little gromet so it won't interfere with loading/unloading gear in the back. The wires may be connected straight to the battery, just make liberal use of zip ties to keep it away from belts/fans or other moving parts. Some plastic sheathing will also make it look a little cleaner.

Keep us posted, looks good so far!

SRT08BUS
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Rick! All I have left is to secure the wires better and do the SMR tests....thanks again for your offer 2 help, I guess that means we should do a trail instead.

DaveInDenver
02-22-2010, 08:45 AM
The wires may be connected straight to the battery
I would suggest that power feed wires not only may but should be connected straight to the battery usually.

RockRunner
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I would suggest a fuse block between the battery and your CB. You plan on adding a Ham set up soon and it to would need clean power. Some of us have the fuse block that we got at the marine shop on County line and Quebec West Marine

Anyway mount the fuse block inside the vehicle if you can and you will have clean power for 6-8 items depending on thesize you buy. You can tap all sorts of stuff into it once installed, Engel fridge or a blender. Even an electric blanket if you so desire.

Here is what I am talking about

My Fuse Block (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/177684/377%20710%201629/0/Breakers%20And%20Circuit%20Prot/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201629&Ne=0&Ntt=Breakers%20And%20Circuit%20Prot&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=295)

That is the same one I am running and and about 5 ohters if not more. Plus you can get great connectors and other electrical items from them. Well worth the money.:thumb:

PS if you need help I can help you but you will have to come to me. Heated and insulated garage.

SRT08BUS
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the help everyone:bowdown: Now the next issue, do I connect both the ant. feed and the receiver feed to the back of the feed at the same time. And do I go threw every channel when checking, or only channel 20 like the small page of instructions says?

SRT08BUS
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Is it good to here the all weather station coming in clear even if you don't hear chatter as clear, I have a SWR reading of 2 1/2 when transmitting, is that good?

corsair23
02-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Is it good to here the all weather station coming in clear even if you don't hear chatter as clear, I have a SWR reading of 2 1/2 when transmitting, is that good?

Hopefully someone with more experience than I will chime in but getting the weather station in clear doesn't tell you much. The CB in my 40 will bring the weather station clear as a bell with no antenna :rolleyes:

On the SWR readings...My thought is no, a reading of 2.5 is not good. IIRC you want it at 1.5 or lower, across all channels.

Did your SWR meter come with instructions? If not, here is a page from Right Channel Radios:

CB Antenna Tuning (http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pages/cb-antenna-tuning-guide-pv-c0-61.html)

I never had any success tuning my antenna, only to find out (thanks to Ricardo) that the SWR meter I got "free" with an antenna didn't work...someday I'll have to try again

SRT08BUS
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm going to clean it up a little bit including hiding this wire in the back cargo but as it goes right now I don't allow any cargo in the back, and the side the wire is on is the side my speaker wire connects(sub). I found that the speaker for the CB can fit in the area built for the navigation in front of the steering wheel, and it will close. And then found a way to hide the CB wire under my M-PAC thingy (I can't remember what it's called) and that help keep cord from dangling in front of my feet.

corsair23
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
If you haven't already done so, I'd zip tie that coax above your pedal out of the way :)

Did you have to use a coax extension to reach all the way to the front? If so, make sure you don't "loop" the excess up in a circle shape...Make it a figure 8 with a zip tie in the middle.

SRT08BUS
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
If you haven't already done so, I'd zip tie that coax above your pedal out of the way :)

Did you have to use a coax extension to reach all the way to the front? If so, make sure you don't "loop" the excess up in a circle shape...Make it a figure 8 with a zip tie in the middle.

It looks a lot worse than it is, and I'm going to be getting a shorter coax cable because I have a lot of excess. And now that I think about it I'll go measure it and guesstimate if the shorter fire stick cable will work. When it's complete I'll either have the cable connect for the cb coming out of the spot where the speaker is now or have it coming out of the notch above where the connect is above the gas peddle in the pic.

And I forgot to mention that someone from HC4X4 help tune my radio and explained how, when I remember her name I'll post it on this post (I think it was Val). I was even able 2 listen to some :blah: on the way home.