PDA

View Full Version : A.r.r.l.

Hulk
02-15-2010, 07:53 PM
How many of you guys are ARRL members? I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't joined yet. What do you get for your $39/year?

Mendocino
02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I am not a member and don't see much value. One of the biggest contributions i think they could make is in advocacy at the federal level but they have not been effective: amatuers have lost a lot of spectrum:(

rover67
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Not a member of ARRL, I never really thought about it. I am a member of CRA though... I figure I use the repeaters enough to give 'em a little bit for it.

Karst8835
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I am a member. you get QST magazine.

Uncle Ben
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Not a member of ARRL, I never really thought about it. I am a member of CRA though... I figure I use the repeaters enough to give 'em a little bit for it.

Same here! I was a member of ARRL but the stack of QST mags and related propaganda I got was what turned me off. I have enough hobbies that building antennas and designing the perfect Ham shack just is not my interest.

Groucho
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I have been a member and let it lapse. I don't need another magazine, but I should renew as they do work in Washington to lobby for our rights n stuff.

corsair23
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Might using some club funds to support the CRA be a worthwhile endeavor?

I think someone mentioned this to me when we were discussing where to donate the CM $$ to. The CRA doesn't fit into the CM fund charter as Romer pointed out. IIRC however I didn't see a "group" membership on the CRA application.

nakman
02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Might using some club funds to support the CRA be a worthwhile endeavor?

I think someone mentioned this to me when we were discussing where to donate the CM $$ to. The CRA doesn't fit into the CM fund charter as Romer pointed out. IIRC however I didn't see a "group" membership on the CRA application.

Yeah that was me who suggested that buddy.. :D have our philanthropy committee flow some cash towards the CRA since we all like and use the linked repeater system. Hopefully this year's CM goes well and there's money to donate to them next time around.

In fact for that matter I need to donate myself, since I personally appreciate what they do.

corsair23
02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah that was me who suggested that buddy.. :D have our philanthropy committee flow some cash towards the CRA since we all like and use the linked repeater system. Hopefully this year's CM goes well and there's money to donate to them next time around.

Ah yes...Now I remember :) - The mind is a terrible thing sometimes...Wait, I don't think I have that right :hill:

My previous post probably wasn't too clear...I don't think donating to the CRA with CM funds will ever happen (regardless of how much we have to donate) because the CRA doesn't fit within the charter per Romer. After thinking about it, I tend to agree but I'm easily persuadable :rolleyes:

However, that doesn't mean that a member couldn't bring up for discussion, and possible vote, at a future meeting to use some of the club funds for a CRA membership/donation. Probably need someone to discuss with them though whether they even offer something like club memberships.