PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU adjust your mirrors?

corsair23
02-17-2010, 01:07 PM
So, how do you all adjust your mirrors? Apparently I've been doing it wrong for years :rolleyes:

KwzUE6PHk4U

Or maybe it is a Jeep thing :hill: - But, then again maybe the "don't knock it till you try it" saying applies here.

I will say, I think the person could have chosen a better (safer) location and time of day to shoot the video though.

Mendocino
02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
What a putz. I have convex mirrors on all my vehicle mirrors in addition to the standard mirror. This way I eliminate a blind spot. I index the standard mirror to the side of the vehicle so I have a point of reference.

No on the 40 with the soft doors on keeping the mirrors in the proper position is an entirely different exercise...:rolleyes:

ScaldedDog
02-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I didn't watch the video, but I've using the "no blind spot" method of adjusting my mirrors since the early 80's. Works great. You have to be careful about folks merging from two lanes over, but that's true no matter how your mirrors are adjusted.

Mark

farnhamstj
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Don't forget to text your friends while driving to let them know you're changing lanes.

bh4rnnr
02-18-2010, 08:17 PM
So, how do you all adjust your mirrors? Apparently I've been doing it wrong for years :rolleyes:

KwzUE6PHk4U

Or maybe it is a Jeep thing :hill: - But, then again maybe the "don't knock it till you try it" saying applies here.

I will say, I think the person could have chosen a better (safer) location and time of day to shoot the video though.

Or, you could just turn your head to the left or right when making that turn:rolleyes:.

Maybe Horsepower TV didnt offer him a job:confused:.....

ScaldedDog
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm detecting some rather tightly wadded panties about a subject that seems devoid of emotion. Would it make anyone feel better if Car and Driver made the same suggestion (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q1/how_to_adjust_your_mirrors_to_avoid_blind_spots-feature)?

Mark

Mendocino
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm detecting some rather tightly wadded panties about a subject that seems devoid of emotion. Would it make anyone feel better if Car and Driver made the same suggestion (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q1/how_to_adjust_your_mirrors_to_avoid_blind_spots-feature)?

Mark

Add the small convex mirrors and you have the best of both solutions.:thumb:

bh4rnnr
02-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Mark

Just seems IMHO, a waste of time. I can take care of what this guy suggests turning my head past my shoulders to either lane, in a few seconds, to what he suggests in a few minutes. His knowledge could have been better used for something along the lines of say a blown tire while doing 60mph.

Old40Dog
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Mirrors? What are they for? I can't remember the last time I actually saw someone "using" their mirrors before making a lane change! :eek:

I guess I'm the only one out there who constantly encounters drivers who just change lanes without regard for whether anyones there or not....Or they turn and look over their shoulder to see if anyone's back there!:eek: I keep hoping that the guy in front of them doesn't decide to brake while they're checking the lanes!:lmao:

Maybe some public service spots on tv showing people how to use the rear view mirror or better yet....how to merge! :thumb:

corsair23
02-18-2010, 10:38 PM
For those with 80s...

I did the "Don't knock it till you try it" approach today. I couldn't get my mirrors to point far enough out (based on the suggestion in the video) before the mirror travel was maxed out :hill:

I'm going to give this a try for awhile but I can tell right off it is going to take some getting use to. I've always adjusted my mirrors to where the side of my vehicle is just outside of my vision in the mirror sitting centered in my seat.

Jeff H...I hear what you are saying about the small convex mirrors...The :Princess:'s 80 has them. The are equally hard to get use to IMO, especially when I rarely drive the 80.

AxleIke
02-18-2010, 11:07 PM
LOL!

I have neither problem. I drive a mini truck, which, conveniently, adjust the mirrors to whatever position it choses, which is usually out of adjustment. I can adjust the mirror to my satisfaction before leaving, and after the first few minutes of road vibration and bumps, they are back to their consistent, out of alignment positions!

Therefore, I use the mirrors for whatever they are good for, and check over my shoulder.

DaveInDenver
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
LOL!

I have neither problem. I drive a mini truck, which, conveniently, adjust the mirrors to whatever position it choses, which is usually out of adjustment. I can adjust the mirror to my satisfaction before leaving, and after the first few minutes of road vibration and bumps, they are back to their consistent, out of alignment positions!

Therefore, I use the mirrors for whatever they are good for, and check over my shoulder.
You so beat me to this Isaac. I noticed yesterday driving to work that my passenger's mirror showed mostly my right door and the neighborhood kids were kind enough to make my driver's mirror reflect my ugly self which was hopeless since my window was still frozen closed and there was no adjusting it (just FYI 80 guys, not just 40s lack electric mirrors). The good part of driving a dented, armored rolling tetanus experiment is that it just don't matter. If I want to change lanes you're lucky if I even bother signaling.

TIMZTOY
02-19-2010, 12:59 AM
ive been adjusting my mirrors that way ever since day one that ive been driving.. you have no reason to see the side of your car.. its not moving.. and i dont agree with how he leans all the way over to adjust the pashenger mirror.. i just lean back in my crusiing posision were im typically at when on the highway.. then i adjust the mirrors all the way out to just past the car edge so that i cant see the truck unless i lean my head over a tad.. and if ya need to check further into the blind spot just lean tword your steering wheel and youll check all the way into the blind spot.. with all the mirrors adjusted correctlly you will have no blind spots in a regular or extended cab truck.. between your Peripheral vision, side mirrors, and rear view mirrors you can technicall see all the cars behind you .. ;) not to jenxs my self but ive never had a axcident caused because of not seeing someone .. :thumb: i have almost hit ppl when changing lanes.. but thats because there also changing lanes without signaling and i catch then in my peripheral vision through the mirrior..

AxleIke
02-19-2010, 09:50 AM
You so beat me to this Isaac. I noticed yesterday driving to work that my passenger's mirror showed mostly my right door and the neighborhood kids were kind enough to make my driver's mirror reflect my ugly self which was hopeless since my window was still frozen closed and there was no adjusting it (just FYI 80 guys, not just 40s lack electric mirrors). The good part of driving a dented, armored rolling tetanus experiment is that it just don't matter. If I want to change lanes you're lucky if I even bother signaling.

No joke. I signal, but then I move. People get out of my way.

It is especially funny when I am accelerating up an acceleration lane, and some bozo tries to pull up so I'll have to brake and get in behind him. He is usually quite shocked when, though he is almost right next to me, I continue to merge.

I figure, hey, if you want to mess up your fancy BMW by scratching the powder coat on my steel bumper, go right ahead.

rover67
02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
yeah, I adjust my mirrors like that too. I only learned to do it when I started teaching drivers Ed at tracks. Can't really look over your shoulder when you're strapped in 5pt belts with a helmet.

I adjust my 60's mirrors like that from time to time, but most of the time they are all out of whack from hitting tree branches on the trail and I just leave them.