PDA

View Full Version : Rear Driveshaft Question

Bikeman
02-19-2010, 10:28 AM
On the LX, there is some free play in the slip yoke both up and down and when twisting. The u-joints seem fine. What is play is normal if any? 170K on the unit. It seems it may be causing some vibes off the line, but may be in the exhaust system.

FJBRADY
02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
It seems it may be causing some vibes off the line,

Just keep your foot in it....the vibes go away! I have no idea, way over my head.

Hulk
02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Pull it and take it over to Englewood Driveshaft. The slip joint can wear out. He will replace them with an OEM Toyota slip joint (he has done this for me once). He'll tell you in 5 seconds whether it needs to be replaced.

Bikeman
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
The guys I have done business with at Front Range say they can do it with aftermarket or Toy parts. He suggested finding a used one and have it checked.

My other option is to have a DC shaft made from the 4Runner shaft I aquired. This would require tilting the pinion up by lengthening the upper control arms. Might be good if future lift is added.

corsair23
02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Mike,

I don't recall much, if any free play in my slip yoke when I was removing the driveshaft and putting it back in during my gear install...You're more than welcome to swing by this weekend and check both of my rigs for comparison.

RockRunner
02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I would say very little play if any, I check mine after major runs (Pritchett and the like) and the rear is solid. The front is a little different but that is because it is a coarse spline.

PS Did you get the steel? What are you using it for?

Bikeman
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I got the steel. I forgot to thank you for it and missed Ricardo when he dropped it off. I have been playing Mr. mom and been busy running a skeleton crew at the shop. I will be using it for bump stop spacers, albiet 1/4" wall overbuilt bump stop spacers! I owe you something for it.

RockRunner
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
No worries, just happy to help. If you are going to CM you can buy me a beer.

Nay
02-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I bought a spare that had a little bit of yoke play - really good driveline shop in the Springs said they thought it would be ok when I was trying to diagnose vibes and brought it in (I installed along with increased lift and caster plates so it wasn't clear what the cause was), but it vibrated like crazy so I swapped Candy Cane back in and things are fine (and I don't really hit CC anymore on 37's so I've stopped thinking about it :D).

I'd find another stocker unless you are really going to lift this rig and need a DC. Having that fixed at a driveline shop is going to push the cost of going new in a hurry.