PDA

View Full Version : Most scenic route to Missoula

MDH33
02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm going to be road tripping to Missoula in April and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good scenic route? I'll probably take three days for the trip there, camping two nights. I'll be driving the 60 or 40 most likely, so I want to avoid high speed interstates. I was thinking of heading towards Idaho and going up through the Bitterroot Valley, but since I've never been to Idaho/Montana, I'm open to suggestions.

:beer:

Jacket
02-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I've never been through Idaho, but I'm sure that would be excellent. As an alternative, when we were traveling around Jackson/Teton last summer, we saw some beautiful stuff between Pinedale and Jackson on 189, and also on 287 from Lander to Jackson. Not much to see in southern Wyoming, but that stretch into Jackson is a little slice of heaven.

I wouldn't recommend driving through Yellowstone, but you could cut over to Idaho from Jackson, and then find a road north.

Snow might be a consideration for traveling and camping in April. There were campsites in Bridger and Teton NF's, but I'm not sure they'd be open in April

bh4rnnr
02-21-2010, 04:52 PM
There are one or two ghost towns in Montana near the boarder of Wyoming that looked very interesting, See ExpeditionUtah.com;). What about following along the Mussel Shell or Missouri for a bit? Could always do some Pre-Outlaws Run scouting for us.

From what I remember, it's about a two day drive to Great Falls Montana.

MDH33
02-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Great tips so far, thanks Matt and Perry. :thumb:

Perry, give me some more details about the Outlaws Run '10 route and maybe I can scope it out some if it's not too far out of the way. I know you mentioned starting in South Dakota and then into Wyoming. Where in Montana are you planning on?

MDH33
02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't recommend driving through Yellowstone, but you could cut over to Idaho from Jackson, and then find a road north.

Snow might be a consideration for traveling and camping in April. There were campsites in Bridger and Teton NF's, but I'm not sure they'd be open in April

Yeah, I'll hold off on visiting Yellowstone until I can take the family and spend some time. But heading to Jackson, then cutting over to Idaho and North through the Bitterroot might work perfectly.

Not too worried about the weather and possibly snow camping. Just hope I don't have to drive through a Spring blizzard the whole way. ;)

Lars
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
If you can make it to northern Idaho, i would recommend Coeurdalene . It a spectacular place.

zornff
02-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Going up through Salmon Idaho, into the Bitteroot Valley is a beautiful drive. Lots of water, places to camp. Great fly fishing too.

MDH33
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
If you can make it to northern Idaho, i would recommend Coeurdalene . It a spectacular place.

I won't be making it up that far on this trip, but I will keep that in mind. I'll be heading to Yakima Washington later this year and might go the Idaho route and through Spokane.

Going up through Salmon Idaho, into the Bitteroot Valley is a beautiful drive. Lots of water, places to camp. Great fly fishing too.

Good stuff. I'll probably be heading through that way. Any specifics about places to camp?

nakman
02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
If you end up going north to Laramie, definitely get off I-25 at Ft. Collins (hwy 14, Mulberry st) then take that left to 287, taking 287 the rest of the way up to Wyoming. It's a lot more scenic than i-25 to Cheyenne, plus it will save you time and fuel.

I actually drove to Missoula once to play a show, but don't remember how we went, it was mostly at night and we were just looking for the fastest route possible.. shoot that was like 16-17 years ago, had to borrow a fake ID. :) we opened for Seaweed (http://s0.ilike.com/play#Seaweed:Sit+In+Glass:4128076:s56859486.13678105.23380343.0.). :perry:

Crash
02-22-2010, 11:33 AM
On the first night of our Canadian trip last August, we camped at a little campground on Half Moon Lake which is just south of Fremont Lake as shown on an atlas map ofWyoming, just outside of Pinedale. Just as you getr into the outskirts of Pinedale, turn right, NE, and head to Fremont Lake. You will see signs for the Half Moon campground and it is a pay area with maybe a dozen spots right on the lake. Very beautiful and the water was amazingly warm, which was a total surprise, being used to Colorado high country waters. Clean facilities and not overused at all.

MDH33
02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks Steve, that sounds like a good stopover for camping. Did you drive straight there from Denver? If so, how long did it take?

Looking at your pics, I thought you had an Eezi-Awn tent? That one looks like a TechniTop.

Crash
02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Suzie is checking her journal and it looks like we left Denver at 9:40am and, by way of Cheyenne and Rock Springs we got to camp around 6:00pm. That's with at least three, probably four, stops along the way for girl breaks. The more scenic way would be up 40 to Craig and then turn north to I-25 and over to Rock Springs. Once north of Rock Springs, the journey more interesting and you quickly realize you are out in the middle of nowhere. Easy one day drive to the campground on Half Moon Lake. We'd go back to the same spot in an instant - so would the dogs! Our atlases don't show the area but a WY map surely must. I'd be glad to point out the exact location, if you like Martin.
We've had the TechniTop for a couple of years now and really like it. Roomy and compact at the same time. I've only fallen out of it once. So far. :D

Thanks Steve, that sounds like a good stopover for camping. Did you drive straight there from Denver? If so, how long did it take?

Looking at your pics, I thought you had an Eezi-Awn tent? That one looks like a TechniTop.

MDH33
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Heading out tomorrow morning at the crack-o-dawn. Hope to make it up to Pinedale passing through Craig and Rock Springs. Next day will be up to the Bitterroot in Idaho, then on to Missoula. I'll be camping all week NW of Missoula in the Lolo National Forest while I attend a Forest Service saw training course, then will be driving back and camping along the way, probably in Wyoming again. 9 days of living out of the 60 should be a good remedy for for my cabin fever. ;)

No internet access until the 19th, so talk to you all later! :thumb:

:campfire::beer:

timmbuck2
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Good luck and have fun!!!

nattybumppo
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
There is a cool little county road (well graded dirt) between Maybell on US 40 and Rock Springs. Could be more scenic and shorted that staying on the blacktop. Of course I did it in summer...Have a great trip! I have spent some time in the Lolo, hope you have snow gear! You're traveling through the scenic heart of our country!

Hulk
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Cool, have a great trip!

wesintl
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
well, if you has arps we could follow your progress.. :D

Jacket
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Have a great trip. The road from Rock Springs to Pinedale is pretty dull, but heading north and west out of Pinedale it gets better and better.

Crash
04-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Martin, safe journey to you. I hope the weather up north is as good as it is supposed to be around here.