PDA

View Full Version : Lost mines, Caches and Payrolls.

bh4rnnr
02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Granted, my most recently finished book "Some Dreams Die" is all about Utah, it got me excited again (ok, another red bull drink, or kick in the pants) about the mining days, and we got just as many storys as them Utahn's do!

There's some great summer runs, what about combining one of them with a search into Colorados past (ok, we do this with the GTR Run, but..)? Granted, i'd love to get permision to explore some of the closed mines, but understand and accept the lagistics. We could always start at either mines in Central Citry or Idaho Springs that are open to the public. If Central City, I can bore ya'all about my younger days growing up there, even the time where Lucy the ghost saved us from the Gilpin Hotel Fire:blah:.

Thoughts?

:beer::beer:

jacdaw
02-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I wanna hear your Lucy story. If I have to explore a couple mine shafts to hear it, cool.:cheers:

mtncrsr
02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I love exploring old mines and the history surrounding that era.

leiniesred
02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
In.

I dig mines. <--clever, eh?

nakman
02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I have been interested in seeing an old plane crash site, off of Bunce School Road... would anyone want to go explore that later this summer? Would just be a Saturday thing.. according to the Charles Wells guide it sounds like there's some light 4x4 action involved to get there too.. :)

Lars
02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm definatly interested. If there is any interest in the mining/ghoast towns in the San Juans, I grew up in the area. A good long weekend trip.

FJBRADY
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I have been interested in seeing an old plane crash site, off of Bunce School Road... would anyone want to go explore that later this summer? Would just be a Saturday thing.. according to the Charles Wells guide it sounds like there's some light 4x4 action involved to get there too.. :)

Fubuki and I went up there this past summer.....worth the trip!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10358

nakman
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Fubuki and I went up there this past summer.....worth the trip!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10358

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.. . yeah that's the place, man your pictures make me want to go even more now. Want to go again? would be AM (after Moab...) :D

Mendocino
02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
This looks cool. I'm interested.:thumb:

Blackdiamond72
02-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Live in Gilpin county and am training to be a Mining Engineer and Historian. I work with the Gilpin County Historical Society and might be able to get a small group into the Cour De Alene shaft house during a Sat run. Interesting stuff and two complete return tube boilers :) . I'm interested in any run involving mine remains.

FJBRADY
02-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.. . yeah that's the place, man your pictures make me want to go even more now. Want to go again? would be AM (after Moab...) :D

Oh yeah!

Mendocino
02-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Mining is cool! Whether its historic or contemporary (http://www.trimble.com/mining.shtml) I'm interested. :thumb:

cruiseroutfit
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Perry, you know I'm interested. Lost Rhoades mines, Mormon gold and old mines are my second favorite thing to do...

You guys need to get out to Utah for our Ophir Hill mine tours... I'm doing a customer appreciation tour there tomorrow. 20 miles of underground passages in a 100% private property that consists of 4-5 different mines that intersect spanning over 100 years of history :cool:

From last years customer appreciation tour:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/2009_reports.html
(scan down to February)

bh4rnnr
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM
In.

I dig mines. <--clever, eh?

:lmao:

Live in Gilpin county and am training to be a Mining Engineer and Historian. I work with the Gilpin County Historical Society and might be able to get a small group into the Cour De Alene shaft house during a Sat run. Interesting stuff and two complete return tube boilers :) . I'm interested in any run involving mine remains.

That would be awesome!

Mining is cool! Whether its historic or contemporary (http://www.trimble.com/mining.shtml) I'm interested. :thumb:

:)

Perry, you know I'm interested. Lost Rhoades mines, Mormon gold and old mines are my second favorite thing to do...

You guys need to get out to Utah for our Ophir Hill mine tours... I'm doing a customer appreciation tour there tomorrow. 20 miles of underground passages in a 100% private property that consists of 4-5 different mines that intersect spanning over 100 years of history :cool:

From last years customer appreciation tour:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/2009_reports.html
(scan down to February)

Do you have an idea of dates? September is full (Outlaws and Fable Valley) and i'll be providing support for my Father for two weeks in October while he follows a portion of the Santa Fe Trail.

I might call Brant Wobeg and see if he has any thoughts. Who knows, maybe he knows some of the mine owners up on Argentine:).

SRT08BUS
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm in, I would try one of the Utah runs but gotta keep all my fun in Colorado and as close to home as possible.

MDH33
02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm in, I would try one of the Utah runs but gotta keep all my fun in Colorado and as close to home as possible.

Didn't know you were on a tether dude. ;):hill:

Mendocino
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Didn't know you were on a tether dude. ;):hill:

Maybe it's GPS house arrest; I can hack that.:cool:

Inukshuk
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Interested. Perry - I have two great books for you to read about mining history.

bh4rnnr
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Interested. Perry - I have two great books for you to read about mining history.

:). You have names and ISBN'S? Being addicted to books, I like to have my own copys. Actualy, I just like triping over them in the middle of the night when I go to the bathroom.

gcmandrake
03-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Perry,

Have you read, "Money Mountain: The Story of Cripple Creek Gold?" It's well written and fills in a lot of the details about Cripple Creek and Victor. You probably know about the Skagway Power Plant near Victor?

Matt

Hulk
03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Perry,

Have you read, "Money Mountain: The Story of Cripple Creek Gold?" It's well written and fills in a lot of the details about Cripple Creek and Victor. You probably know about the Skagway Power Plant near Victor?

Matt

Hey Matt! Good to see ya back on the forum. :thumb:

cruiseroutfit
03-05-2010, 11:37 PM
...Do you have an idea of dates?...

Nothing specific on the calendar, though we are in there every other month it seems, and other mine excursion happen on a regular basis too. The treasure hunting scene in Utah is a live and well... there are a couple of very invested hunters on ExpeditionUtah, one of which is a full-time guy with some neat accomplishments :cool:

bh4rnnr
03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Perry,

Matt

I have not, but will put it on the list! Thanks for the heads up!:cool: