PDA

View Full Version : How much snow do you have?

Corbet
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I took some pictures today of the snow we have here in our yard outside Durango. The first two are looking out east facing windows at ground level. Poor little Bridger does not have much of a view in his nursery:eek:

Corbet
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
few more, can you see the FJ40 in the 1st and 3rd pics?

Red_Chili
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Holy moly!

Imagine what it will be like when it all melts.

MDH33
02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
The rivers are going to be HUGE this Spring out there. Hope your roof is strong!

We have about 3 inches of snow here in Evergreen and it's warm and sunny today, so probably not much by tomorrow.

corsair23
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
:eek:

I hope you have strong windows Corbet...That's got to be a lot of weight on some of that glass...

I wish we'd get a HUGE dumping of snow around here...Enough of this 1-2" crap

Corbet
02-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm debating what to do right now. I did not discover this until about 48 hours ago. Bridger is not in his own room yet. So we rarely go in there. Opened the blind the other day and found the surprise. The second pic represents acutal snow depth on that side of the house. Bridger's window gets additional snow when the roof slides. But I'll have to dig through 5+ feet just to get to the window in question which has the real problem. That pile is 12+ feet deep with a small tree burried it it for good measure. Digging it out is going to be difficult.

edit: OK dug out the window so that snow is not against it. I'm still afraid that when the next storm loads the roof and it slides off I'm going to have snow hit the glass pretty hard. I guess I either dig out the untire pile or risk it. Here's another pic to show how high the pile is. From the outside the top of it is level with the second floor deck railing.

jacdaw
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Yikes! Looks like a lot of weight on the second floor deck as well.

Corbet
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Yikes! Looks like a lot of weight on the second floor deck as well.

Started removing that today as well. Its the 2nd time snow has built up to that level this year on the upper deck.

zornff
02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
We have had a bunch of snow also. I have had 48" plus in my yard since December.

nuclearlemon
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM

x2

corsair23
02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm debating what to do right now.

edit: OK dug out the window so that snow is not against it. I'm still afraid that when the next storm loads the roof and it slides off I'm going to have snow hit the glass pretty hard.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to protect that window somehow given who will be in there :eek:

Some sort of steel security rods and then in the winter prop up a large enough piece of board against those to ward off the weight of the snow :confused: - It will make the room dark, but safer :thumb:

Corbet
02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
This should do the trick :D Now :offtobed:

wesintl
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I bet my parents had that much at one time in Northern Virginia

Uncle Ben
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM

I hope you have strong windows Corbet...That's got to be a lot of weight on some of that glass...

x3!

bigbluefj
02-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Snow whats that all i have is grass in the yard!!

nakman
02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
This should do the trick :D Now :offtobed:

OMG that's awesome. :lmao: :lmao:

edit: I think you just have to dig that window out for the rest of the spring. This summer, is there any way to do an awning over the window or something? Can you build out something above it? Or else consider adding some additional horizontal steel "stoppers" that keep the snow from sliding off on that side of the house. I realize folks get those steel roofs so snow slides off, but your roof trusts are likely so over-rated for load that you could park the 80 up there, and your insulation is likely fine too. The real reason to get the stuff off the roof is water.

If you keep snow on the roof and the insulation or venting is poor then you get all sorts of damming & water issues, so I can definitely see the appeal of sliding that stuff off of there as soon as possible... would be better if it could go somewhere else besides up against the kiddo's window though!

Big John
02-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Or..... You could give me your house, then you wouldn't have to deal with any of that nasty snow anymore and you would all be much safer.:thumb:
Sure is purdy there, so I'd be willing to make the sacrifice:D

RockRunner
02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Dig out the snow and purchase a piece of shatter proof plexiglass the size of the outer window frame. You can put it up in the winter and take it down in the summer, sort of like storm shutters but clear instead.

I do love the big snow drifts of the roof, is it heated at all? I don't think his roof has to worry about weight, the pitch is right for sliding clear and it is metal so the supports are there.

Nice shots!!

Corbet
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Dig out the snow and purchase a piece of shatter proof plexiglass the size of the outer window frame. You can put it up in the winter and take it down in the summer, sort of like storm shutters but clear instead.

I do love the big snow drifts of the roof, is it heated at all? I don't think his roof has to worry about weight, the pitch is right for sliding clear and it is metal so the supports are there.

Nice shots!!

I like the plexiglass idea. I think that't the winner. No heat on the roof but some of my neighbors do. I have a leak right now at the chimney. I think this summer that area will get a little heat installed to prevent the ice daming issues. As you can see for the pics it does not shed well there.

Red_Chili
02-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Plexiglass won't hold that weight IMHO. It would help. Maybe brace it with 2x6s screwed into the backside.

corsair23
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Plexiglass won't hold that weight IMHO. It would help. Maybe brace it with 2x6s screwed into the backside.

x2 - I like the plexiglass idea as well 'cuz it would let in some light but it will have to be supported...

Maybe Dave can put together a little post on how much weight that plexiglass will have to support based on x feet of snow :D

MDH33
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
...I don't think his roof has to worry about weight, the pitch is right for sliding clear and it is metal so the supports are there.

I was thinking the garage was more in danger than the house.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=17255&stc=1&d=1266957046

nakman
02-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Corbet what's the dimensions of the window? I bet we could come up with a material & thickness recommendation for you... you would want to leave some slop in the frame to allow for thermal expansion/contraction, also you wouldn't any fasteners drilled through it- how far away from the current window could you theoretically install this new "storm" window? That will dictate how much deflection you can have.

But heck you can make anything from an airplane window to an aquarium out of plastic, a little snow shouldn't be a problem. :)

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Corbet what's the dimensions of the window? I bet we could come up with a material & thickness recommendation for you... you would want to leave some slop in the frame to allow for thermal expansion/contraction, also you wouldn't any fasteners drilled through it- how far away from the current window could you theoretically install this new "storm" window? That will dictate how much deflection you can have.

But heck you can make anything from an airplane window to an aquarium out of plastic, a little snow shouldn't be a problem. :)

I thought the same thing! In our Laundry room in the Louisville property the kids used to find it funny to break the windows out. I replaced all the windows with 3/16" Polycarbonate(Lexan)......3 years ago! Even the long one next to a pop machine has survived everything they threw at it (foot prints, rocks/bricks, etc...) laying by it on the sidewalk. It has recently got scratched by probably a knife. They have tagged it in the past but Goof Off removed the permanent marker without chemically etching the surface.

Corbet
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll have to measure the window but probably 4'x5' roughly. Lexan would be best :D