PDA

View Full Version : Dog question. Maybe a silly idea.

Red_Chili
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
With my soon to be ex wife no longer living here, and my younger son splitting time between my house and her apartment, I have a bit of a conundrum with the dogs. I had intended to put in a dog door in the wall so they could have the run of the house, and relieve themselves like good boys.

But it occurred to me: have folks successfully trained dogs to use a litter box like a cat? Granted, the aroma greeting me at the door would be unpleasant, but...

Can they differentiate between 'going indoors' and 'going indoors in a litter box'? Or is that just a bad idea leading to bad behavior?

Big John
02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
I've heard of it being done, but have no personal experience with it. What size dogs are they?
On the days my wife and I both work (only a day or two most weeks), my dogs go out in the garage and I'm probably going to put a dog door out there for them. I thought about putting one that entered to the house, but figured with my luck I'd just come home to renegade unwanted critters and dog pooh:lmao:

corsair23
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Put in the doggie door Bill :)

I've never heard of training a dog to use a litter box though :confused:

RockRunner
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
It can be done but dogs make a bigger mess. They tend to scratch the ground with their rear paws after doing the dirty deed and unless they are both females how do they lift their legs? Also with more hair in their paws they will carry the litter around the house.

A dogie door is a save a good solution. If you are worried about other animals entering get the one with a lock. Only your dogs with their radio controlled collars can enter the door.

Nay
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Dogs don't cover their feces when they are done. Years ago when I was a teenager I used to house sit for a family that were truly pigs, and they had paper trained their Lab to go in the unfinished area of the basement on paper.

Unless you want your house to smell like a solid wall of dog sh$t every time you come home, I highly recommend the dog door.

Sorry to hear about the personal situation. :(

Corbet
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
We tried to train Marianne's Miniature Dachshund :o once due to the winter temps in Summit CO. No luck but I hear it can be done. FYI there is a special dog little as the cat stuff would be really bad on a dog's stomach or so our vet said.

Anyway I also recommend the dog door.

Beachboy
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I have owned dogs all my life and have never seen one trained. Also your dogs would be happier once they find out that they can go outside and play instead of being cooped up in the house. Also if you ever run late, you don't have to worry.

Bikeman
02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Bill, you need the "Potty Patch". Haven't you seen the commercials yet? Or, the dogs could learn from my boxer, taz, to be able to hold it 10 hours.

bigbluefj
02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Well i'll tell you this Bill it can be done, Boss goes on some pee pads in the winter and then he goes out in the summer time.. You can ask your vet what is the best way to get them to use the litter box.. I know of a few people that have there yorkies go in the box the one lady has four dogs that all use it..

Kevin

Uncle Ben
02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
http://dogsandmorestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/isaidsit.jpg

rover67
02-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Just do a doggie door... we had one for a while and it was great. The dogs just run in and out whenever they want to.

weird thing was they spent a lot more time outside.... I started to feel like they didn't love me..

bigbluefj
02-26-2010, 02:08 AM
only problem i see with the doggy door is what else can come in???

Uncle Ben
02-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Doggy doors are a must!

Beater
02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
dog door. With the size of your pooches, it's really not a security risk.

FJBRADY
02-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Just do a doggie door... we had one for a while and it was great. The dogs just run in and out whenever they want to.

weird thing was they spent a lot more time outside.... I started to feel like they didn't love me..

Meade has a doggie door? There must be a BIG hole on the side of the house!

RedCreeper
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is our scoop on things....

I just got a Toy Poodle for Lynnette and Alexis. The lady we got her from in Utah trained her to use the litter box and potty pads. It works until the box is dirty and then they look for other places to go. We use a newspaper type litter stuff so it does not get into her feet but she does like to kick it all over the place. We have her in a kennel and have made a section for the box. kind of like a doggy bathroom in the kennel. So it can be done but not sure if i would do it for Fritz. My only worry since it is cold and this is how she is trained is will she go outside in the summer. Time will tell. As far as smell she is so small we don't notice anything but we do try to keep up with it and clean it when it gets bad. about every other day in her case. good luck.

sno bored
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I just got a puppy a couple of months ago and he has a doggy door. I got one that goes into a sliding glass door, so no cutting of doors or walls required. He goes in and out whenever he wants and hasn't had any accidents in the house since I put the door in.

Corbet
02-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Kevin, that's a good lookin pup :puppykisses:

corsair23
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Kevin, that's a good lookin pup :puppykisses:

x2 - way :cool:

wesintl
02-26-2010, 10:24 AM
just trade your dog in for a cat :eek:

just kidding.. not really.. i should be.. what.. I need another pain pill after surgury yesterday :o sorry man

Red_Chili
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I just got a puppy a couple of months ago and he has a doggy door. I got one that goes into a sliding glass door, so no cutting of doors or walls required. He goes in and out whenever he wants and hasn't had any accidents in the house since I put the door in.
I looked at those... but how do you get the sliding door to seal? I mean, sure, if you can get the door edge to seal against the doggy door insert, but what about where it bypasses the fixed pane?

Big air gap there.

Red_Chili
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
just trade your dog in for a cat :eek:

just kidding.. not really.. i should be.. what.. I need another pain pill after surgury yesterday :o sorry man
You ain't right... you just ain't right...

sno bored
02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I looked at those... but how do you get the sliding door to seal? I mean, sure, if you can get the door edge to seal against the doggy door insert, but what about where it bypasses the fixed pane?

Big air gap there.

The door comes with some weatherstripping. I went out and got some heavy duty weatherstripping and stuck it everywhere I could around the door. No major drafts, but it is a little cooler near the door than the rest of the house. I have a board that I squeeze in the backside of the door that compresses the weatherstripping between the sliding door and doggie door insert, keeps things nice and tight and door can't be opened from outside. I will take a picture when I get home.

Magoo
02-26-2010, 02:06 PM
i hate it just as much as my lab, but she's a year and a half and lives in the kennel when we are not home.there is no friggin way i would chop a hole in the side of my house for a door.she does just fine with that.
might be another option for ya.
trust me they can hold it.
it may not be right for some but thats how it works at my place.
i have a chewed up coffee table to prove that she belongs in the kennel when she is alone.

Red_Chili
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
At least I have two dogs: buddies.

They did well yesterday, I didn't realize no one was going to be home to let them out. All day in the laundry room, not a mistake. They have come a long way in 2 1/2 years.

I will have to reconsider the sliding door option - I would rather do that than have a hole in the wall. I just need to be able to seal it - securing it seems straightforward, with the door lock the way it is.

RockRunner
02-26-2010, 02:45 PM
i hate it just as much as my lab, but she's a year and a half and lives in the kennel when we are not home.there is no friggin way i would chop a hole in the side of my house for a door.she does just fine with that.
might be another option for ya.
trust me they can hold it.
it may not be right for some but thats how it works at my place.
i have a chewed up coffee table to prove that she belongs in the kennel when she is alone.

Training takes care of that and using a kennel all day is just as bad for a dogs bladder as it is for a human. A lab is a large dog that needs to run and move throughout the day, keeping her crated all day is cruel I don't care how many people do it. When you decided to get a dog you should have thought about the way it was going to change your life. It sounds to me that you may have made the wrong choice.

There is no need to cut a hole in your wall, you can use a door or as mentioned before a sliding door style. If you can't train the dog or don't have time there are many fine companies/individuals that can train her for you. There are also folks that will walk your dog during the day so she can run and relief herself.

Magoo
02-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Training takes care of that and using a kennel all day is just as bad for a dogs bladder as it is for a human. A lab is a large dog that needs to run and move throughout the day, keeping her crated all day is cruel I don't care how many people do it. When you decided to get a dog you should have thought about the way it was going to change your life. It sounds to me that you may have made the wrong choice.

There is no need to cut a hole in your wall, you can use a door or as mentioned before a sliding door style. If you can't train the dog or don't have time there are many fine companies/individuals that can train her for you. There are also folks that will walk your dog during the day so she can run and relief herself.

dude jump off your horse
you tryin to make me out to be a bad guy or something!!
non trained dog? whatever bro. got a world class dog that is on hand command,i've worked with my dog more than some clowns work with their kids so dont start preaching to me about how to train a dog.
by the way the dog comes out of the kennel every day at 11 am sharp to relieve herself.
she does have 1 problem and that is being a little destructive when she's alone for long periods.so we dont leave her out anymore.
now back to Bill's issue, he actually has one.
some folks leave em in there all day.

FJBRADY
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Acuna Matta everyone.

Hey Bill you could do this!:puppykisses:

RockRunner
02-26-2010, 07:55 PM
No horse to jump off from, but try separation anxiety.

sno bored
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Here are some pictures of my door. In the second picture it shows the gap on the back of the sliding door. The black part is the "glass sweep" seal. It came with the door and just sticks on back there. It works pretty good at sealing things up.

Air Randy
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Bill,

We have the sliding glass patio door version of the dog door too. It's very easy to install and setup so there are no air leaks and ours came with a lock too. Very easy to open and close for human passage. We had to pull it out once in order to get a piece of furniture through the door, takes about 5 minutes to pull it and stick it back in.

Also, for those who are worried about other varmints getting in via the dog door. I've heard of it happening but very rarely. We live in a very rural area and have never had an issue. We also have a motion activated floodlight over the patio door, maybe that helps. I think most varmints smell the dogs and probably go the other way.

Red_Chili
02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, based on your encouragement, I gave the sliding door version a try. It is a go! I did a cheesy weatherstrip fix to keep the major draft out, and that seems to work OK. I do feel quite a bit of cold coming in through the single-flap dog door though. The entire insert is single pane, and there will be some increased heat loss on cold days.

But it is cheaper than hiring a dog walker. And better for the dogs for sure. Tucker has already kinda figured it out. Ty (the little one) is too nervous to really give it a go... even with dog jerky. THAT usually gets him to do ANYTHING. We will figure it out, he will 'get it'.

Thanks all!!

RockRunner
02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Good for you, Ty will get it after he sees Tucker doing it a few times. It took Dukey about two weeks before he felt comfortable doing it. If the single style dogie door is letting to much air in you can get a double style door. We are getting one in a few weeks, they did not have the right size. We have used and sold these at my parents store for a while but can't get them cheap enough to compete with the big box stores.

Red_Chili
02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Well whaddya know... Tucker not only gets it now, so does Ty. He needed some demonstration from his bro I guess.

I had to do some carving on the doorjamb. Even with the 3/8" weatherstrip I added to the insert on both sides, it wouldn't clear (I suppose I could have gotten some fatter weatherstripping but oh well).

The sliding door came with a foot lock. I just needed to drill a 1" hole for moving the little plastic latch location. I bet I can get an additional trim piece from Pella to put in the original hole. The foot lock is above Ty's head.

They think going in and out of this thing for treats is the BEST GAME EVER.

Of course, Tucker just found his tennis ball, which is the BEST GAME EVER.

After that, he will probably rediscover his beach ball, which is of course the BEST GAME EVER.

Then there is the rawhide bone, which in his opinion is the... You get it. :lmao:

We should all throw ourselves into life with the same reckless abandon. Imagine a world where everything we do or have to do is the BEST GAME EVER.
There's a few scriptures about that... :thumb: :bill:
:puppykisses:

Thanks you guys!

SRT08BUS
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Just herd about a mountain lion going into a house via a doggy door in Salada(sp) Colorado.....if in a area where any unwanted intruder is not wanted...please be safe.

Red_Chili
03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Not too many cats of that variety in downtown Littleton. And I doubt she could fit in a 7" doggy door. But the concern is appreciated!!