PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure problems

nattybumppo
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
So, suddenly I have no oil pressure, according to the guage on my 77 40's dash. I have not been doing any engine work and have not changed the oil for about 6 months, although I have been adding a quart quite regularly as it gets low from all the regular various leaks. My last oil change used Castrol 10w40 and (as I know now) a lousy Fram filter, and I have recently been adding some Mobil 1 high mileage 10w40 to the mix. I'm not sure how long the pressure has not registered since I just noticed it on the highway this morning. Before I start opening things up to verify oil flow, etc I would like to make sure everything is still hooked up as it should be. Since I have recently had problems with electrical connections, can somebody please tell me where the oil pressure sender is located so I can check to make sure it is properly connected? My Haynes manual is silent on this issue, and I can't find a description on mud or here.

Uncle Ben
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Is it knocking? My guess is gauge or sender failure. Check the wire connected to the sending unit on the engine.

Crash
03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Is it knocking? My guess is gauge or sender failure. Check the wire connected to the sending unit on the engine.

Is the sending unit near the base of the oil filter on a F and 2F?

nuclearlemon
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
can't rememeber where it is, but it's a big bulbous (sp?) thingy with a single spade wire on the top. a lot of times, the wire comes loose. you can put a small awl in and crimp the connector a little tighter so it won't fall off again

wesintl
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Is the sending unit near the base of the oil filter on a F and 2F?

drivers side of block about #5

Hulk
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks like this (http://www.sor.com/sor/cat026b.tam?xax=17288). Usually gold in color (when new).

nattybumppo
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys. Fixed...it was just disconnected, FYI, as Crash and Westintl noted, it is the thingey that looks like a kids bike bell attached to the bottom of the oil filter housing at an angle...and it has a little connector spade on the bottom that a female quick-connect attaches too. As you suggested Inge, it had worked loose and fallen off. I fixed it up like you suggested and voila! oil pressure reappears. Thanks for your response also Uncle Ben, but this time as Einstein said, "The best answer is the simplest and most elegent". Once again my faith in toyota and Rising Sun's advice is reaffirmed (this seems to happen on a daily basis)!

wesintl
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
drivers side of block about #5

actually f is driver side and 2f is passenger with some on the cooler some on the filter mount.

RicardoJM
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad you got it figured out. I had the same thing happen to me about 4 months into my FJ40 ownership. Next you will find that you water temperature will spike to High when that connector gets loose and slips off its sensor.:D

nuclearlemon
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
glad it was a simple fix:cheers:

Uncle Ben
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Awesome!