PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Nook F Engine Rebuild

Dr. Schlegs
03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Hello Everyone,

For those of you who have not heard I am embarking on journey to rebuild a "F" engine in my Breakfast Nook. I figure what better place than a climate controlled environment, with surround sound. I have never rebuild an engine before but figured I have some time and a few extra dollars. I am planning on boring it .40 over, installing a RV cam, and the rest I'll figure out as I go. Thanks to James for helping me get it, and thanks to Ige, and Kevin for agreeing with me that this would be a good :thumb: idea. I am going to start to strip it down, so it is easier to put on the engine stand. Thus allowing for it to be wheeled into the aforementioned location. Pictures will be forth coming.

RockRunner
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I think the wife would shoot me:eek: I did rebuild my E-locker on the living room table and IFS steering box..........with a few frowns from the :Princess:

A whole motor, never :eek:

Sort of thinking you are single :rolleyes: Good luck!

jacdaw
03-02-2010, 12:40 AM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/icon_worthless.gif
But I know they will come, and I can't wait. I took a '78 Subaru boxer apart in my bedroom one winter when I was a kid because the garage was full of my brother's 3 Fiat X1/9 hulks, and I have attempted several times recently to park my Bonneville in the living room, but the :Princess: will have none of that noise!:rolleyes: Have fun, take your time and roll your engine stand on a good tarp...:thumb:

farnhamstj
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Isn't it better to get a 2f and rebuild that? than a F? Ditto the "my wife would kill me remarks"

rover67
03-02-2010, 06:15 PM
First Cruiser anything I did was rebuild an F motor in the bedroom at our house in college. Rolling the engine stand across the wood floor with the motor on it made some nice tracks, and the carb cleaner we used to clean everything fried my brain.

That F motor will run great when you rebuild it and you'll love doing it..

Edit:

I just thought about this..

I was eating dinner with one of our Docs the other day and his music came up. He always carries a travel guitar with him no matter where he goes and usually works on the music he's written each night... I have always thought that was cool. Anyways, he was telling me that he finally worked out a deal with a local restaurant.. he plays the music he's written there two times a week. I told him that I have no idea what that'd be like.. to play something you wrote in front of a bunch of folks, but that it must be pretty cool. He said "Marco, I'll make an example with something you could probably understand... it's like hearing a motor you built from scratch fire up for the first time".

I thought that was cool as hell... not being musical at all, I can relate to that :) It is a great feeling.

Dr. Schlegs
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
My understanding is that the 2F has better oiling, but the F is still a beast. I use to have a :Princess:, and I am far better without her. I'm not going to get rid of my stuff any more for a :pirate:. I was a good boy and still got the shaft so it's ME time:)

Have some striping down to do, then have to make an appointment to get it cleaned and bored .40 over. If there is anyone that people have good results with or someone that is a well-versed in the F please let me know.

RicardoJM
03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
This is an exciting project Kevin:cool:. For the block and head machine work, I'm sure people with first hand experience will chime in with where they got good results.

Jacket
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
And to think I caught flack for rebuilding my heater at the kitchen table....

Fun project - I'll be checking in.

FJBRADY
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I have my feet on the coffee table in my living room as I type.....just think if there was an F engine in here instead. :Princess::scold::brick:

You are a fortunate man ( a man's man) D Schlegs! No really I think it's cool, I just could not pull that off!

wesintl
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I have my feet on the coffee table in my living room as I type.....
I guess you don't have a nascar tire coffee table :rolleyes:

Old40Dog
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
For those of you who have not heard I am embarking on journey to rebuild a "F" engine in my Breakfast Nook.

My understanding is that the 2F has better oiling, but the F is still a beast. I use to have a :Princess:, and I am far better without her. I'm not going to get rid of my stuff any more for a :pirate:. I was a good boy and still got the shaft so it's ME time:).

Whoa boy! The Breakfast Nook is good, but be sure to keep that "F" engine outta the bedroom......:lmao:

Have fun! This will be a FUN project for you:thumb: Just keep in mind THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS:hill: Please, POST MORE PICS!

corsair23
03-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Kevin,

You need to peruse this thread:

2F Build (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/168967-big-gay-2f-build-tech.html)

Yeah, I know it is a 2F and you're building an F, but as you'll see in the thread, no reason you can't make the engine look pretty as well as functional :hill:

Dr. Schlegs
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I got the cylinder head off this morning and got to take a peek at the pistons and valves.

Top of deck

This rocker has an oblonged threaded hole for the push rod.

Front 3 cylinders

Rear 3 cylinders

Looks like anti-freeze and the piston surfaces have carbon build up. Fitting as the spark plugs had carbon build up on them as well.

Mendocino
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I rebuilt a SBC in a dorm room at college. :D I have a picture of it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I got the cylinder head off this morning and got to take a peek at the pistons and valves.

I hope thats not the dining room carpet in the background... :rolleyes: ;)

nakman
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope thats not the dining room carpet in the background... :rolleyes: ;)

What, this little stain right here? that'll wipe right up..:rolleyes: Schlegs has got the Shamwow (https://www.shamwow.com/ver24/index.asp)! :lmao:

Dr. Schlegs
03-03-2010, 04:56 PM
No, this is still the garage. It will be moving into the Breakfast Nook once it has been cleaned and serviced.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
What, this little stain right here? that'll wipe right up..:rolleyes: Schlegs has got the Shamwow (https://www.shamwow.com/ver24/index.asp)! :lmao:

I say "WOW!"

Air Randy
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't know if anyone has answered this question for you yet: I would take it to Gunn Automotive on South Federal. Tell Mr. Gunn you are with the Toyota club. They do fantastic machine work and can get you a master rebuild kit with quality parts for cost and a very small mark up.

frontrange
03-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Those cylinders and a blow torch will come in handy for making eggs Benedict. You might want to wipe them down with a paper towel first though. git er done.

farnhamstj
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Best of luck, I'll be checking in regularly to see how the progress is going. Breakfast nook seems like a great spot.

Dr. Schlegs
03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info Randy. I think people might be enamored by the fact that this is going to be built in my apartments Breakfast Nook, and missed the original question. :lmao: Jeff Thanks for the heads up on the link. However, I don't think I will be going with that paint scheme. I have a hard enough time finding a date as it is. I think I will go with a traditional Toyota Black.

Red_Chili
03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I use to have a :Princess:, and I am far better without her. I'm not going to get rid of my stuff any more for a :pirate:. I was a good boy and still got the shaft so it's ME time:)

Huh. Brother from a different mother.
:cheers:
'07 BMW F650 GS - ABS, Heated Grips, Engine Guard, and PIAA flood lights.
'00 Honda XR650R dualsported
'06 Buell Ulysses (poser dualsport, but by golly a big friggin' TWIN thumpah-thumpah, bruddah.)

We need to get Waggoner5 on one. C'mon Gary you know you want to. It'll be good for your back. No really. Truuuusst me.

Blackdiamond72
03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll second Gunn Auto, heard great things about them (mostly from Randy), but from others as well. Ih8mud folks. So even without the head, it still probably weights around 250lbs? Good luck lifting that sucker up to get it on the stand.

I'll volunteer to show up and give moral support for that venture!:cheers:

rover67
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
x3 on Gunn, I've taken 4 heads there over the past few months and they have been super nice to me and done great work.

Rezarf
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
All I want to see is the F in the breakfast nook. Mmm, bacon, eggs and assembly lube... sounds tasty! :D

Dr. Schlegs
04-16-2010, 10:50 AM
So last night I was watching CSI (The Original One). Have a little Scotch and putting rings on pistons. I talked to Gunn Auto the other day and got a good vibe from them. Phil seems very knowledgible about the F's.

Air Randy
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
So last night I was watching CSI (The Original One). Have a little Scotch and putting rings on pistons. I talked to Gunn Auto the other day and got a good vibe from them. Phil seems very knowledgible about the F's.

Yep, I've been taking motors to him for machining for over 35 years. When I was a mechanic, working for my father-in-law on heavy equipment, we even took all of our diesel stuff to him. Good folks, I hope someone continues the tradition of excellent work for fair prices when Mr. Gunn retires.

Dr. Schlegs
04-19-2010, 10:21 PM
6 Pistons ringed and "Inspected"

Dr. Schlegs
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I am wanting to know what people think is a good assembly oil for this F engine? I know Uncle Ben is not a fan of the synthetic oils, something about Land Cruisers piss the stuff out.:dunno:

Dr. Schlegs
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Something does not look right here. I might need new bearings?

TIMZTOY
05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Ouch

Air Randy
05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Not to worry, Gunn will machine your crank shaft and check your connecting rods to be bored if needed. They'll then tell you what size of over size bearing to get.

I always use the assembly lube that comes in a tube available at any auto parts store. Then fill it with 15w-40 diesel oil, that has all of the zinc and other additives you need for high friction engines. I would recommend running it all of the time except in winter if you need to run a lighter weight.