PDA

View Full Version : Interesting rag shoot-out

Uncle Ben
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Just got it out of the mailbox and haven't read it but check out this months head to head..... bet I can predict the winner just by the bias they always have.....

......I don't suspect even the KM'2 will advantage it enough.... :rolleyes:

rover67
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Heck, just look at the way they framed the picture.

nakman
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Dude if you keep bashing Toyos I'm not going to pull you out anymore..

Crash
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Dual selectable lockers do add quite a bit to the equation if it is an off-road test.

Uncle Ben
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Dude if you keep bashing Toyos I'm not going to pull you out anymore..

You pulled me out? :confused:

Uncle Ben
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
.....ohhhhhh the killer last line....."Maybe they just don't understand: It's a Jeep thing." :rolleyes:
It's they that don't understand that because of the "Jeep thing" we choose Toyota!

AxleIke
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, I'll go against the grain here.

I am a toyota loyalist, it was bred into me. Call me stupid, but I am. When my brothers and I are home at the folks', we hit a grand total of 6 toyota trucks and 4runners, ranging from 87, thru 04. Used to have an FJ-55.

HOWEVER, the rubicon come stock with a 4.0 case, and dual lockers.

The FJC can't really hold a candle to that. Now, I'll take an FJC SAS'd with a crawler set up over the rubi any day of the week, but the rubicon will out perform, stock to stock, the FJ cruiser, with the same driver.

Anyway, its just another jeep rag looking to bash on a Toyota. I stopped subscribing to that crap years ago.

Uncle Ben
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

I am a toyota loyalist, it was bred into me. Call me stupid, but I am. When my brothers and I are home at the folks', we hit a grand total of 6 toyota trucks and 4runners, ranging from 87, thru 04. Used to have an FJ-55.

The FJC can't really hold a candle to that. Now, I'll take an FJC SAS'd with a crawler set up over the rubi any day of the week, but the rubicon will out perform, stock to stock, the FJ cruiser, with the same driver.

Anyway, its just another jeep rag looking to bash on a Toyota. I stopped subscribing to that crap years ago.

All valid points I think everyone can agree with! The article does a good comparo until the end. The FJC out performed the JK in power and fit and finish but they knocked it hard for the visibility and suicide doors. I feel the same there. The Jeep had other issues that made it pretty even until they went off road. Comparing A-Trac to real lockers is predictable as is the linked straight axles compared to IFS. The rag has a great article with the cover trucks which are Poison Spider's and All Pro's. It's about whats available in after-market and it's a fun read! Hear is an awesome pic of the two....

chtucker
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Having owned both a JK and a FJ....

Hands down the FJ is much more usable/comfortable every day. The FJ is also better in the snow. The noise in Jeep is pretty much unbearable even with the hardtop.

Sure for a dedicated wheeler the Rubicon is nice... I would never own one again as a primary vehicle.

The motor in the Jeep sucks. WHY they don''t put a 4.7/5.7 Hemi or a really nice 3.9 cummins is beyond me...

Everything about the Toyota has better build quality. I really think Daimler put the final nails in the coffin.

Jacket
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
According to the picture, they already leveled the front axle playing field...

Uncle Ben
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
According to the picture, they already leveled the front axle playing field...

That was a second article on mods for both. The shoot-out was between stock vehicles. I had to chuckle as one thing mentioned BUT didn't factor in was the FJC was $8k less than the Dangler! Put that $8k into the FJC to make the cost comparable and retest!

Nay
03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
There isn't really much of a comparison here.

Put a 3" lift and 35's on both and the JK is in a completely different class, especially in Unlimited form where it also has a reasonably long wheelbase and is reported to be much more comfortable than the SWB version.

KBB reported that the Wrangler also had the best resale value for 2009 in the SUV class.

If Toyota had made the FJC along the lines of the JK with FJ40 heritage in its lines, with a removable top, 4:1 t-case, dual lockers, front solid axle, four door available in a longer wheelbase...Toyota fans would have lost their minds.

Instead of losing their minds over the little issue pictured below.

I really like the FJC and more to the point tend to prefer their owners heavily, I just don't think it is a comparison outside of the fact that if you want capability off the showroom floor you have very few reasonable choices these days.

Red_Chili
03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Nay nailed it IMHO.

Chrispy
03-08-2010, 06:43 AM

very true.

I may be biased, but i thought the article was well written, and pretty fair to both rigs. they TRIED to give the win to the FJ, its much better on the street, considerably more power, and as they said, it was $8000 less, but as you said, its really tough for any rig with no lockers, and street tires, to compete with another rig running 4.10 gears with a 4:1 transfer case and MT's off road.

i know im on the wrong board to say this, but, Peterson's is pretty unbiased as far as reporting.. they DO cater to volume, and lets face it, theres considerably more of those guys than Toyota - wheelers out there, but keep in mind that in their "Ultimate Adventure", they have built and reported on TWO toyotas, a taco and '07 FJ, and only ONE Jeep... which was really a dodge 3/4 ton in a jeep body (dodge 3/4 ton truck frame and Cummins power train, with a JK unlimited body attached)

Brand loyalty aside, they did a pretty good job of reporting the 'facts' in this one, going on to say "the Toyota SHOULD have won" meaning had it had a pair of lockers and decent tires, it probably would have..any toyota fan who read the article wouldnt be swayed by it anyway, because as someone else stated, you could buy the FJ for $8000 less, and for half the difference, put in selectable lockers, and 33" tires (or larger) and probably run circles around the JK.

now, when they finally decide to make a factory removable top for the thing, then it will be on MY short list of 'wanted' rigs...