PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Wheel Bearing Packing Party (WBPP)

RicardoJM
03-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Mark your calendar and find your 52mm hub socket for the 2010 WBPP. This event is primarily geared towards getting together as a group and doing routine front end maintenance; clean and repack knuckles, birfields and replace seals. The club will buy pizza and sodas. You do need to bring your own tools, gloves, rags, manuals and jack stands. If you are a new vintage cruiser owner or recently taken an interest in doing more of your own maintenance on your vintage cruiser, this is a great event to get some experience as we generally have mentors in attendance who have maintenance experience.

DATE: April 3, 2010
WHEN: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
WHERE: B&T Bedliners
1683 W Sheri Lane
Littleton Co 80120

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what maintenance you will be doing. This event is an equal mix of fellowship, mentoring and wrenching. The schedule of activity will be to meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two. Keep the schedule in mind as you consider the maintenance you intend to do. Over the last couple of years, we have had quite a discussion (on the forum) about the types of jobs that are not appropriate and what types of jobs are appropriate for WBPP. If you have any questions about this, please contact me via PM.

If you are interested in helping with the mentoring, post up in this thread. It is very rewarding to pass on to the knowledge, skill, tricks and tips to someone new.

Our host this year is Kevin Shipman, owner of B&T Bedliners. Kevin's shop has 1 lift and 3 bays. Next door is an alignment shop (I'll get the name) with 9 bays. The alignment shop is open for business this day, so we won't have access to all 9 bays. We WILL leave our host's shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in! Kevin's shop does not have a parts washer but he does have fluids recycle containers. An event like this can load up these facilities, so whoever is doing fluids, please plan on making a small donation for these costs.

The alignment shop has offered to conduct free alignment checks, and will be offering a discount for those needing an adjustment. Kevin can also arrange for window tint and clear bra work to be done while you are there.

I will be coordinating a group buy of parts for the event. As a budgeting guide, last year gaskets and seals for an early vintage front axle were about $65.

I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

Babo - Alignment check, 1997 FZJ80
Fubuki - Alignment check, UZJ100
Red_Chili - Alignment check, oil and lube; possible front spring swap, check shifter slinger
Timmbuck2 - Brake pad replacement
rover67 - rear side window tint, fluid change

Nattybumppo - Front bearing service for 8/77 FJ40
MDH33 - front axle service on my '73 FJ40
Inukshuck - birfields, seals and grease. diff & t-case fluids. 1993 FZJ80.
Nemo - front axle service 97 FZJ80
ZIronPig - front axle service '78 55

RicardoJM - Mentor
baileyfj40 Mentor
Bruiser - Mentor
Rzeppa - Mentor
Old40Dog - Mentor

sleeoffroad
03-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Mark your calendar and find your 52mm hub socket for the 2010 WBPP.

That sh#$&*(yt aint gonna fit :D Might want to make that a 54mm socket :lmao:

PS, thanks for understanding that we would not be able to host.

RicardoJM
03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
That sh#$&*(yt aint gonna fit :D Might want to make that a 54mm socket :lmao:

Good point, 52mm is for the old school that still have safety wire and 54mm is for the new school, either way I'll be bringing both for those that don't have one:D.

No worries on the hosting front, with everything going on it just doesn't work out this year. Rising Sun truly appreciates everything your organization does to support our club:thumb:.

Red_Chili
03-03-2010, 09:33 AM
The alignment shop has offered to conduct free alignment checks, and will be offering a discount for those needing an adjustment. Kevin can also arrange for window tint and clear bra work to be done while you are there.
Put me down for that. I have never run the numbers on my solid axle swap. And occasionally I have not run enough toe in, which cost me a pair of tires. You tend to remember those kind$ of thing$.

I *may* swap front springs if I don't get it done sooner. And need to see if the shifter slinger is in upside down on my tranny. Other than that, oil an lube. [noted in first thread, RJM]

nattybumppo
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm in. Front bearing service for 8/77 FJ40. Maybe rear too? Need help, and don't know what sort of time is involved. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can educate me about my front knuckles so I can play with them later. Also alignment check and maybe adjustment if they are doing same day service. Should I wait til this event to change my front diff oil?

Inukshuk
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm in for my birfields, seals and grease. Also diff & t-case fluids. All my bearings should be fine. 1993 FZJ80.

Is anyone coordinating a parts and grease/fluids purchase like Jeff has in past years? Or is it all BYOB.

RicardoJM
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm in. Front bearing service for 8/77 FJ40. Maybe rear too? Need help, and don't know what sort of time is involved. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can educate me about my front knuckles so I can play with them later. Also alignment check and maybe adjustment if they are doing same day service. Should I wait til this event to change my front diff oil?

I'm in for my birfields, seals and grease. Also diff & t-case fluids. All my bearings should be fine. 1993 FZJ80.

Is anyone coordinating a parts and grease/fluids purchase like Jeff has in past years? Or is it all BYOB.

Both of you have been put in the initial post.

Sascha, time constraints won't allow for both front and rear:(. Just doing the fronts will take the better part of the time and keep you busy. I would hold off on changing your front diff oil. As part of the process you will drain the front diff, no need to do it twice in a month.

Daniel, I'll coordinate a parts order and grease. For fluids, plan on bringing your own.

I do believe we have a couple of 5 gallon buckets with pumps that make it easier to put the 90wt in the diffs. Perhaps one of the mentors will bring theres to the event for us to use.

Dr. Schlegs
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Count me in. I have nothing that needs to be done, but I am interested in coming just to watch and learn from others. Plus the 40 is not moving under it's own horsepower.

timmbuck2
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Count me in to do the front axle service on my FJ40. I can also mentor, and will bring my 5 gallon bucket and pump for the 90wt.

T

MDH33
03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Count me in to do the front axle service on my FJ40. I can also mentor, and will bring my 5 gallon bucket and pump for the 90wt.

T

Awesome. Are you bringing the 40 to Cruise Moab this year Timm? :thumb:

I wish I could come and do my 40 front axle service, but I have family coming into town that day that will need to be shuttled from the airport..

timmbuck2
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Nope, the 80 is the trail rig for Moab. Someday the 40 will be in Moab though!

Also count me in to bring my parts washer.

jacdaw
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
That is the morning I drive to California, but as it turns out, I drive right by Slee to get to the big road over the mountains, so I will stop by at 8:00 and hang until a little after 9:00:drink:(that's coffee)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/toyota/birf.gif>==<>==<http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/toyota/birf-flip.gif

wesintl
03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I drive right by Slee to get to the big road over the mountains, so I will stop by at 8:00 and hang until a little after 9:00:drink:(that's coffee)

you will be there all alone... :confused:

jacdaw
03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Ricardo's first note says meet at 8:00 start work by 9:00.:confused:

Doh! I see the change in venue to B&T now. :shakes head:

LARGEONE
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
New place this year, John. But I think you should stop by either way!

I'd like to come watch a 80 front end so I can try to do mine when I'm feeling better. Sign me up for the comraderie group.

Mendocino
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
New place this year, John. But I think you should stop by either way!

I'd like to come watch a 80 front end so I can try to do mine when I'm feeling better. Sign me up for the comraderie group.

If I go Paul I will drive you down there and back. We can bring a comfortable chair for you.:thumb:

Bruiser
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I am going to try to come. I don't need any work but can certainly help.

Justin

fzj80fireman
03-05-2010, 12:42 AM
The alignment shop is "Alignment Masters" and the owner's name is Johnny.

Rzeppa
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
If you are interested in helping with the mentoring, post up in this thread. It is very rewarding to pass on to the knowledge, skill, tricks and tips to someone new.

Count me in to help mentor. I can do whatever needs done to my trusty rusty 40 in my garage, but always enjoy sharing and wrenching with new folks.

I'll bring my 52mm in case anyone has drums like I still do :eek:

Rzeppa
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM

And THANK YOU not only for all you've done over the years to help Rising Sun, but also TLCA! :bowdown:

Rzeppa
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM

A Rising Sun front axle service normally takes around a half day with friend's help, maybe ~6 hours. It normally does NOT involve replacing knuckle bearings and inside knuckle wipers, although we have accomplished this from time to time. Our normal service does include cleaning around the knuckle bearings without replacing them, and repacking as best as possible without removing them.

The rear of a 40 doesn't really need service unless the axle seals are leaking and/or bearings need replacing. The rear doesn't use grease that has to be packed, the bearings are lubed in the same 90wt that the diff uses.

The ONLY alignment on a 40 is toe-in. Super-easy!

The rear of a USA spec 80 or non-USA FF does need to be greased just like the front of all solid axle Land Cruisers, minis and runners.

Since there will be minimal lifts make sure to bring jackstands!

SRT08BUS
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll see if I can make it, most likely just to give a hand, watch and learn.

nattybumppo
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for info, Ricardo and Jeff. I'll do only my front bearings and diff oil. Will bring my own oil and jackstands. I am assuming my bearings are still good snce I have no noticeable issues there.

Old40Dog
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm in. I'd also like to replace one of my front axle hubs (#43511) that has two broken locking hub bolts still in it from when I blew the locking hub in Ouray. (Repaired on the trail thanks to Marco & Steve and a host of other hands too.) I tried to remove the pieces and broke off two easyouts in the process. Any other ideas?

I'll also post up in the For Sale/Wanted.

Rzeppa
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm in. I'd also like to replace one of my front axle hubs (#43511) that has two broken locking hub bolts still in it from when I blew the locking hub in Ouray. (Repaired on the trail thanks to Marco & Steve and a host of other hands too.) I tried to remove the pieces and broke off two easyouts in the process. Any other ideas?

I'll also post up in the For Sale/Wanted.

I used to break studs in my FF rear pretty regularly in my HZJ75 and developed some techniques that worked pretty well. In fact, I used to carry what I called my "axle kit" which consisted of parts and tools for repairing broken studs.

First, as you've noticed, EZ outs are pretty worthless, and breaking them off is bad joo-joo. Depending on how they are broken, you might be able to drill them out. To work on the end of a broken drill bit or EZ out, use a burr or very small stone on the end of a Dremel tool. If you can, first drill a small (~1/8") pilot hole as close to the middle as you can. Spray penetrating oil on it. Then, using left handed drill bits, drill successively larger diameter holes. Often, once you get to a larger bit size it will spin the spud of the stud out. If so, you're golden! If not, just keep going until your hole is just grazing the minor diameter of the hole in the hub. Then, very carefully, start chasing the threads with a M8x1.25 tap.

If the threads are buggered, plan B is to drill with the Helicoil bit (8.3 I think?), tap and helicoil.

MDH33
03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Just realized I can make this work if I can get home by 2-3pm. Put me down for a front axle service on my '73 FJ40. :thumb:

MDH33
03-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I'll bring my 52mm in case anyone has drums like I still do :eek:

That would be me. :zilla: :hill:

baileyfj40
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm considering mentoring too, depending of course on snow or snowing.

Later,

RicardoJM
03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm in. I'd also like to replace one of my front axle hubs (#43511) that has two broken locking hub bolts still in it from when I blew the locking hub in Ouray.

I put you on the list Dave, but I would want you to have a replacement hub in hand, or have removed the broken studs from your current hub before the WBPP. I would hate to get your front end taken apart, run into trouble removing the broken studs and then have to just slap it all back together to get you home. Hopefully, someone can find an hub laying around - or you have some success with the approach Mr. Zepp outlined.

theboomboom
03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I would like to baseline my rig, seeing as I'm not sure when this service was last performed. In anybody's opinion, would using the parts in this kit be overkill?

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/knuckle-service-kit-wheel-bearings

Truck has 184k, and its history is largely unknown. I will also be replacing the break pads at this time, and the rotors could definitely use a good turning/replacement. Thoughts/opinions minitruck guys?

MDH33
03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Rick,
That kit is the full deal, bearings and all. I think you can do it. ;)

However, I would only do the brakes at the same time if you:

(a) have the new Toyota rotors on hand to swap on. (you'll need the pins and springs for the pads too)
(b) have someone available to take your rotors up to a shop to be turned while/before you finish the axle job and reassemble. (and hope the rotors still have enough meat to be turned)

I would lean towards (a) :thumb:

I did tell you I had the rear drums turned and put new Toyota shoes on, right? And I also gave you the correct Toyota front pads (but no pins and holder springs).

Does this mean you're bringing the mini to Moab? :)

I would like to baseline my rig, seeing as I'm not sure when this service was last performed. In anybody's opinion, would using the parts in this kit be overkill?

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/knuckle-service-kit-wheel-bearings

Truck has 184k, and its history is largely unknown. I will also be replacing the break pads at this time, and the rotors could definitely use a good turning/replacement. Thoughts/opinions minitruck guys?

theboomboom
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Rick,
That kit is the full deal, bearings and all. I think you can do it. ;)

However, I would only do the brakes at the same time if you:

(a) have the new Toyota rotors on hand to swap on. (you'll need the pins and springs for the pads too)
(b) have someone available to take your rotors up to a shop to be turned while/before you finish the axle job and reassemble. (and hope the rotors still have enough meat to be turned)

I would lean towards (a) :thumb:

I did tell you I had the rear drums turned and put new Toyota shoes on, right? And I also gave you the correct Toyota front pads (but no pins and holder springs).

Does this mean you're bringing the mini to Moab? :)

I wish Martin, just too much other stuff on my plate this spring. I appreciate the insight, I don't remember you mentioning the rear brakes but that doesn't mean you didn't say that at some point. I may give jerry a visit this week to get the parts...

Old40Dog
03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I put you on the list Dave, but I would want you to have a replacement hub in hand, or have removed the broken studs from your current hub before the WBPP. I would hate to get your front end taken apart, run into trouble removing the broken studs and then have to just slap it all back together to get you home. Hopefully, someone can find an hub laying around - or you have some success with the approach Mr. Zepp outlined.

I'm working on it!:D

RicardoJM
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM

The kit is very comprehensive, including everything needed to replace bearings and races. The front axle service that we have time for at the WBPP would not be this comprehensive. If you decide to do the comprehensive kit, it would not be appropriate for the WBPP. If you decide to do the basic front axle service, let me know and I'll add you to the first post.

Either way you go, I'm looking forward to giving you a hand.:thumb:

fubuki
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I'll probably stop by for observation purposes.

Nemo
03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Unless April 3rd shows up as a huge snow weekend I will be there to repack my bearings (undecided on packing / may rebuild but not this day) and anything else I can help with. In any case looking forward to it and would love nothing more than to at least observe so I can learn more.

ZIronPig
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll be there in the '78 55. As far as I know, the bearings are fine but they need packed and I know I need new oil seals.

Babo
03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Ricardo,

I will be by to have the alignment checked on my 1997 FJZ80.

Thanks!

jacdaw
03-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Ricardo, can you keep a second list of the looky-loos who plan to come so I bring enough donuts?

RicardoJM
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I've updated the first post with who is working on their rigs, mentoring, getting alignment checks and attending. We can use more mentors. We have 6-8 front ends and 4 Mentors. Ideally, we should have 1 mentor for each front end to efficiently move through the process.

I am sending PM about parts purchasing to those who are working on their rigs. I will put the parts order in at the end of this week, so that we will have everything in time.

RicardoJM
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Things are moving along. Thanks for getting back to me with the work you are doing and what you need for parts. I stopped by Groove this afternoon and Jerry was great, even printed off the EPC diagrams for each genre of front end, drum FJ40, disc FJ40/55 and FZJ80.

Martin, Daniel, Sascha, Zach and Dave; your parts are on order.:thumb:

Inukshuk
03-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks!

Rzeppa
03-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I am going to be a bit late due to helping out on the annual Easter egg hunt with my community organization - I don't have a project to do on my own rig at this event but will be there to mentor.

Ricardo - did you come by my house this morning? My wife said she saw a red FJ40 on Parmalee Gulch this morning and said it looked like you. I was out and about when she called and said as far as I knew your FJ40 was kind of a primer charcoal color, but maybe you've painted it red? Or someone else was in a red FJ40 that stopped by the house. She said there were tire tracks in the driveway, and I know you wanted some F engine parts, but I do not recall setting up a specific time.

RicardoJM
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Ricardo - did you come by my house this morning? My wife said she saw a red FJ40 on Parmalee Gulch this morning and said it looked like you. I was out and about when she called and said as far as I knew your FJ40 was kind of a primer charcoal color, but maybe you've painted it red?

I was in your neighborhood, stopped by your neighbor Marc's place to look at some 22R parts. I saw your wife just as I was crossing over the river and waved. My truck is rustoleum sail blue, which has me thinking one of you two might be starting to lose your memory - and I don't think its your wife:lmao:.

MDH33
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
stopped by your neighbor Marc's place to look at some 22R parts.

Ricardo, did you buy a minitruck or 'runner?

Jacket
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I plan on coming by and chatting/helping, but probably not until after 10am (soccer game). I just finished a full knuckle rebuild so I can offer some help as it is fresh in my mind.

SRT08BUS
03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
So I grabbed a used factory skid for $50 and I have no clean place to put it on. I know this may seem simple but would it be worth it to bring it down and do it then?

Air Randy
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm going to try and make it over to the WBPP. I would really appreciate if those who haven't paid for their name tags yet try to setlle up with me there and pick up your name tag.

Thanks!

RicardoJM
03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Ricardo, did you buy a minitruck or 'runner?

Matt, No. The choke has not been holding in place on TheBoomBoom's truck and I was looking at a 22r carb with a unmolested choke. It was a bit dirty, but I rebuilt it and we put it on this evening. So far, all is good.:D

I plan on coming by and chatting/helping, but probably not until after 10am (soccer game). I just finished a full knuckle rebuild so I can offer some help as it is fresh in my mind.
Martin, IIRC, you did the front axle service at the WBPP two years ago, now with a full rebuild under your belt - you should be an expert.

Just kidding about the name swap, after three years I finally know who each of you are:lmao:.

So I grabbed a used factory skid for $50 and I have no clean place to put it on. I know this may seem simple but would it be worth it to bring it down and do it then?

Brandon, there is a big parking lot, so providing the weather is decent - there will be a clean place to put it on. :thumb:

rover67
03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Ricardo,

I will be there. I will not be able to make it untill later, probably 10 or 11.

I was going to try to see if those folks could tint my left rear window (old tint came off). Do I need to do anything to set that up?

Also, I don't mind mentoring if I can help with anything, I'll just unfortunatly not be able to be there in the morning.

Edit:

Just remembered I need to change the 90wt in the tranny, trans, and both rearends. I'll probably do that while I'm there. I'll bring my own oil.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
I'd like to stop by after our neighborhood Easter egg hunt, as well.

No work needed, but would like to watch and learn.

RicardoJM
03-29-2010, 07:46 AM
I will be there. I will not be able to make it untill later, probably 10 or 11.

I was going to try to see if those folks could tint my left rear window (old tint came off). Do I need to do anything to set that up?

Just remembered I need to change the 90wt in the tranny, trans, and both rearends. I'll probably do that while I'm there. I'll bring my own oil.

I'll bring your smoker and chips.

I'm building a list of alignment checks on the first page and can add the window tint as well. I hope to get a bucket and pump to facilitate gear oil input.

rover67
03-29-2010, 09:44 AM
OK, sounds great!

fubuki
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm building a list of alignment checks on the first page .......

Put me down for an alignment check as well.

jacdaw
03-30-2010, 03:52 AM
I have to be in Farmington by 4PM so I think with towing the trailer behind the 20R I have to be on the road before the party starts. This means no donuts, sorry guys...:o

RicardoJM
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Participants and Mentors - a few notes as the date approaches...

Last year we did not have good weather, which ironically ended up working out great for the few that worked on their rigs. This year it looks like we will have favorable weather:D. The forecast is calling for sun with a high temp in the 50's on Saturday. Continue to keep an eye on the weather and hope for the best.

Mentors, I could use some help with making sure we have FSM reference for an 80 Series - I have the FSM for 71 FJ40 and 82 Hilux which should cover the drum and disc brake front ends of the older trucks. If you are listed in post 1 as a Mentor but will not make it, please let me know. If I missed putting you as Mentor and you will be able to make, please let me know.

Jeff Zepp - can you bring your safety wire? We have one drum brake front end this year.

Participants, Be sure to bring plenty of rags, pans for your fluids, tools, gloves, manuals. Don't forget chocks for your wheels. I strongly suggest disposable gloves, axle work is pretty messy and peeling off gloves is a lot easier than dealing with gojo on your hands. Eye protection is suggested. For cleaning parts, bring a bucket/tub and some solvent. Also a few cans of brake cleaner. I suggest an old toothbrush to help clean your parts, I also like those copper scouring pads. We want to leave Kevin's shop cleaner than we found it so be sure to bring plenty of rags and newspapers/cardboard so we don't mess up his floor and driveway. The cardboard really helps with the clean up process.

We WILL leave our hosts shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in!

Two things come to mind right now: first, everything takes longer than you think it should. There's always something. Some stupid bolt that won't thread back on, some stupid (fill in the blank) that won't come off the way it's supposed to. The second thing is that the most time consuming thing about this will be cleaning your parts. Trailside repairs seldom involve any more cleaning than necessary, but in this case you want to clean everything well.

We normally share our tools around, but make sure anything you've borrowed gets back to it's owner. Fish scales, hub sockets, seal pullers, seal drivers and torque wrenches are the types of tools that are usually passed around.

The club will buy pizza and sodas. We will meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two.

As of yesterday, the only parts not in were a couple of gaskets for Martin. In addition to gaskets and seals, I added claw washers and birfield clips for each truck. If you do not need them, we can return them for a refund. Martin's gaskets should arrive today and I will pick up the parts and put it on my own CC. I will itemize it for participants and expect reimbursement at the event when the parts are delivered. I'll also buy grease at a local parts store. Each participant will get a 4 pound tub which will be enough for a full front axle service plus some to take home.

nuclearlemon
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
i'll bring an 80 fsm

MDH33
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for putting this together Ricardo. Really looking forward to wrenching on the 40, which I haven't touched since December. :thumb::beer:

Inukshuk
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks. Though I have done the front axle 2x already, its a great luxury not having to figure out and order the parts. Really appreciate you doing that legwork.

Will there be air lines to tap into for tools?
I will appreciate borrowing a seal puller, seal driver and torque wrench. I forget, do we use a fish scale for front wheel bearing preload? (I will review my manual before Saturday - Haynes, not FSM)
I will bring a hub socket, and plenty of gloves and paper towels, plus all the other stuff.

Finally, I'm waaaaay overdue for a pair of new front rotors. How much more work is it to swap a pair on while everything is disassembled (1993 80)?

RicardoJM
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Will there be air lines to tap into for tools?

I will appreciate borrowing a seal puller, seal driver and torque wrench. I forget, do we use a fish scale for front wheel bearing preload? (I will review my manual before Saturday - Haynes, not FSM)

Finally, I'm waaaaay overdue for a pair of new front rotors. How much more work is it to swap a pair on while everything is disassembled (1993 80)?
I believe there is air, but don't have in my notes how many plug ins there are. If you have air tools bring them along.

We typically don't use the fish scale and go by feel.

Perhaps an 80 expert can chime in on the rotors. We do remove the rotors but I'm not clear in my recollection on what they are attached to and what is involved is swapping. If you do this, you should have the new rotors on hand and ready to go. There is not enough time in the schedule to take them out and get them turned.

Inukshuk
03-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Perhaps an 80 expert can chime in on the rotors. We do remove the rotors but I'm not clear in my recollection on what they are attached to and what is involved is swapping. If you do this, you should have the new rotors on hand and ready to go. There is not enough time in the schedule to take them out and get them turned.

No worries. As I wrote - swap. Not turn. I know they are attached to the hub and that the hub is slid off the spindle to repack the birf. Just checked Mud "All you have to do is remove the bolts that connect the hub to the rotor and install the hub on a new rotor" http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/292265-replacing-front-rotors-brake-pads.html (which BTW is an overall good front hub service write-up).

Bruiser
03-31-2010, 07:32 PM
I will be a little late but should be there by around 10:00 or 10:30.

Ricardo, keep my number handy in case you need me to pick anything up on my way in.

Justin

SRT08BUS
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm out, I've been called into work.

Old40Dog
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all of your work on this Ricardo!:bowdown: See you Saturday, if I don't see you Friday at the CBC. Stiil not sure about CBC, but I'll let you know.

TIMZTOY
03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
ill be there.. i can also mentor, ill bring a few tools. i have a nice digital torque wrench and air tools i can bring.. i also need to change my oil and check all my other oil's, and greese all my zerks (im lazy) :rolleyes:

and the 80 rotors are just bolted to the back of the hub, which is taken off to do the bearings.. so easy to swap to new ones

SRT08BUS
04-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I might still show up so I can pay for my name tag and TLCA badge, I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it to the meeting.

timmbuck2
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I am bringing the parts washer...just need something to put in it...left the old fluid at the exes house and can't run over there tonight. maybe just 5 gallons of diesel??

Rock Dog
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
No worries. As I wrote - swap. Not turn. I know they are attached to the hub and that the hub is slid off the spindle to repack the birf. Just checked Mud "All you have to do is remove the bolts that connect the hub to the rotor and install the hub on a new rotor" http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/292265-replacing-front-rotors-brake-pads.html (which BTW is an overall good front hub service write-up).

Hello Daniel, i rebuilt my 80 front end last year... I found my left front spindle eaten up pretty good once i got it all opened up.... hopefully yours are in better shape. I will bring my spare.. I will try to be there and also bring my fish scale (i used to set the bearings).... i also have a big hub socket (i believe 2 1/8'') that is beefy, and i have used for years...

I beleive this place is right next to Aligment Masters..... I have been going to alignment masters for years, and have nothing but good things to say about them..... and Mi Concina on the corner has great Chilie rellenos!
Neil.

Nemo
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Guys,
I am still going to show but later. I am backing out of doing the Front Bearing Repack this weekend but I should learn a ton from you guys. So one off the bearing pack for the 80 but am willing to help once I arrive. :p: