PDA

View Full Version : 4 door Taco, 80 series or 100 series...

Rezarf
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
If you were going to buy one for family hauling and light wheeling and camping... which would you buy? Cost benifits, luxury benifits, aftermarket support?

I can see the writing on the wall that the 40 will not cut it in our home but for a year or two more.

Here is what I know:

I like them Taco's with the 4 doors. Do they make a v8?

I like the aftermarket and prices of the 80 series... but they are all starting to get some high miles on them by now.

I like the luxury of the 100, and the V8, but the initial cost leaves little to no money to play with for building it up.

However, I can't get this out of my mind though! :D

MDH33
03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Since you already have the Sequoia as a wagon/family hauler, I would go for the 4 door taco. Hard to beat the versatility of a truck. Plus they have really good power and better gas mileage. :thumb:

Tacodoc on Expo has a nice setup. Newer 4 door taco with a flip pac:http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/devildoc25/100_1729.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/devildoc25/100_1721.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/devildoc25/100_1725.jpg

TIMZTOY
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Taco all the way !!!! I just love my taco's. Lol I did hear rumers of toyota thinking of putting the 4.7 Or even the 5.9 into the taco but left the delaership world before anything ever was released. So I don't know if they ever did. Or not. I know that the 4.0 is a pretty powerfull beast. And I love it. And if it's not enought just slap on a TRD supercharger if ya can swing it. I know if it were me. Even if a v8 was avalible I'd still get the 4.0 v6

MDH33
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
And Tim's Stealth Taco is just about perfect too:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=16898&stc=1&d=1264958891

:thumb:

Jacket
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I'll let you borrow my truck and my kids for a weekend - the ultimate "test fit." ;)

No V8 for the Tacomas - but a Tundra like Matt's is certainly another option.

Having owned a few wagons and my current pickup, there's no perfect answer to "which one is better." But the primary differentiator is the bed:

Pros
- more storage
- more versatility for cargo
- less weight/bulk
Con
- no climate control (cold boots)
- no (limited) access from the cab
- Xtra long wheelbase (pro or con)
- difficult to completely weatherproof (water, dust)
- less secure

I think a 4 door Tacoma like Tim's and an early 100 series are probably in a similar price range - right? 12-15k.

MDH33
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I think a 4 door Tacoma like Tim's and an early 100 series are probably in a similar price range - right? 12-15k.

I was torn between a 100 and 4 door Taco. I wanted something 2001 or newer with less than 80K miles. The 100's were all closer to $20K+, the Tacos $15-20K (2001-2004 style).

nakman
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
80. If I had to have one or the other, it would be the 80 hands down.

edit: Drew come over and crawl through them both, I'll show you exactly what's good and bad on each.

wesintl
03-04-2010, 03:38 PM

and that said after lightly building an 80 for the fam I would get a 100. Far more comfortable, more power, you don't need lockers for light wheeling/camping, ome 2.5 would be sufficient, you would like the rear ac for the kids, the list goes on...

nakman
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah Drew on second thought why not just take the sequoia?

Build it up a little if you want http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/312885-bored-building-02-sequoia-mild-build.html

Uncle Ben
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I just have yet to be impressed with the 4.7! It sounds like it's got something lurking but it's just doesn't deliver. They are fantastic motors as far as dependability factors in but .2 liters bigger and a short stroke V motor just doesn't gain enough wow over a long stroke straight 6 at least as far as torque goes. Beat on the Sequoia and the 40 for a couple more years and the 5.7 Tundras will get down to working man price ranges by then! If ya need to do something now a 4 door Taco with the 4.0 will more than fit all your needs!

AxleIke
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Drew,

With how I know you, and what you like to wheel and experience, I think a 100 would be a perfect fit. Very comfortable, quite capable offroad, and family friendly. You could get it built over time, and, assuming you buy one with the rear locker, you'll be able to take your family out on camping trips in many places.

Lots of people will tell you that you need a bunch of crap to go wheeling and camping.

Consider that all vacations over my entire childhood was spent with my 4 other family members and a dog exploring the back country of utah, colorado, and new mexico, places like pearl pass, beef baisin, all three districts of canyon lands, including the remote maze district, bear town, engineer, cinnimon, etc... passes, and the area around roswell, santa fe, etc... In addition, many of those places, like elephant hill, have been paved over and are much easier now than they were back in the late 80's and early 90's when we first started going over there.

All of that was done in a single vehicle, which was a bone stock, 4cyl 1987 4runner with 28" tires, no lockers, no sliders, no bumpers, no lift. 5 people, 1 dog, 5 days worth of gear and food, no fridge, just a cooler.

With your trailer, and a 100, you'd be miles ahead of what we had in my younger days in terms of viability, safety, and ability to be self sufficient. A 100 with a mild lift, a front bumper with a winch, and a good trailer hitch would see you all over the back country with no worries, and let you have countless hours of enjoyment with your family.

Just my .02

farnhamstj
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I've been very happy with the 100 as the family camper,wheeler,DD, and work truck. 98+99 have a factory rear locker on 4.3 gearing. 33's fit without a lift. Plan on an ARB for the front diff, as it is the weak point. Comfortable heated leather seats. going rate is around $10k. If I could find an '03 for under $20k I'd buy that. Unless you want to carry 4 motorcycles and a camper. Then I don't know what to do.

TIMZTOY
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
i always like the pickups over the suv's for the simple factor that it is still a pickup.. and when your not wheeling you still have a bed.. and IF you needed to haul a load of maneuar you could, not saying i plan on it. but if i needed to haul a bed of trash, (say, stay the trail) or load of maneuar, or lumber or greasy engine for a budy to or from a junk yard, i still have a pickup bed to throw the junk into.. and if you had a 4door you still have plenty of room for the whole family to go wheeling, and camping , and sleeping, exc, exc.. just my thoughs on pickup over suv..

Hulk
03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
If you're not going to wheel the snot out of it, buy a 100 series. Bigger on the inside, more creature comforts, nice V8, better road manners and it's still a Land Cruiser.

"Newer" is only a benefit if you buy one that has very low miles -- many high mileage 80s have been extremely well cared for.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 80. But 100s are pretty sweet too. :)

AxleIke
03-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Tim, I totally see where you are going with that, but I'd imagine Drew's family will out grow a pick-up pretty quickly.

AxleIke
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Farnham's 100 is sweetness. That thing can go all over the place. Handled French Creek just fine. I don't see Drew doing that with his trailer and family on board. And even if he did, the 100 would be up to the task.

Only problem with it, as Ian was talking about at NSTBC, is the cots of repairs. It can get pretty pricey pretty quick. No simple fixes according to Ian.

nakman
03-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I like 100's too. Only reason I side with a wagon over a truck with the family is just how easy it is inside.. like when it's raining on the trail and you can climb in back and get everyone something to eat, or when your kid wants his jacket off he can just throw it behind him, then reach back and find his pillow or something. Everybody inside the cab starts to feel a little tight, and that little window just doesn't cut it, not like a wagon. It's not like when we were kids and you could crawl through and ride back there under a topper, if it were then I'd probably change my tune to a little more pro-pickup.

As for manure, greasy truck parts, and helping people move, I have a utility trailer.. you guys are welcome to borrow it. ;)

subzali
03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Drew, is there any way you can keep the FJ40 for fun/weekend so you don't have to build up something else for trail use? 80s, 100s, Tundras, Tacos in stock form can get you many places. I would suggest you drive all of the above and make your own opinion of the interior size, power, etc. I am loving my 2000 Tundra, and yes UB makes a good point about the 4.7L not being THAT impressive of a motor, but it's still leaps and bounds better than my 22R-E, so I'm happy for now. But I am thinking already about what to do if/when little Millers come along. 2004-2006 Tundras came with a 4 door version, and I'm a pickup guy so maybe I will consider that. I don't like the 2nd gen Tundras for looks though...

But having said that the interior can/will get cramped if you/I had to pack wife, kids, toys, car seats, etc. all in there. So then the 100 series starts sounding better. But then again you have the Sequoia, so the question is why do you need another wagon?

DaveInDenver
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Tim, I totally see where you are going with that, but I'd imagine Drew's family will out grow a pick-up pretty quickly.
A 4 door pickup is workable for a small family, but otherwise pickups to me are second cars in families. But when you figure the reason for having a pickup instead of a wagon is presumably for the bed then 4 door trucks IMVHO fail. Even the 6 foot regular bed on Hilux and Tacoma trucks is really too small and a 4.5 foot bed is even more of a joke. I figure get a truck to be a truck that hauls junk and get a car to be a car that hauls people. With the nice trailer the utility of a pickup bed for camping is really a non-starter. If it was me and I had the money for a nice 100 series, that's what I do. It'll be the car the kid is driving in the snow at college.

Red_Chili
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
If you start dirt biking, the advantages of a pickup take a real leap forward. Then again, there is always the trailer.

I have always liked having a pickup, but these days I don't, and if I needed it my homebuilt trailer would suffice. So there ya go.

Nay
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM

1) Small families have a way of getting bigger :eek:

2) The 80 has rear sliding glass so older kids can climb into the 3rd row while younger kids sit in car seats bolted to the second row. Try that in a 100.

3) You aren't really going to come out of a 40 into IFS are you? That alone means you are having more kids :hill:

4) 80 with lockers and some mods and OCD maintenance + super charger = less $$$ than 100.

Jacket
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
A 4 door pickup is workable for a small family, but otherwise pickups to me are second cars in families. But when you figure the reason for having a pickup instead of a wagon is presumably for the bed then 4 door trucks IMVHO fail. Even the 6 foot regular bed on Hilux and Tacoma trucks is really too small and a 4.5 foot bed is even more of a joke. I figure get a truck to be a truck that hauls junk and get a car to be a car that hauls people. With the nice trailer the utility of a pickup bed for camping is really a non-starter. If it was me and I had the money for a nice 100 series, that's what I do. It'll be the car the kid is driving in the snow at college.

:confuse2:

The only place a short bed fails is if you are a contractor.

Jacket
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
If you start dirt biking, the advantages of a pickup take a real leap forward.

That is precisely the reason I got mine, and now that I'm mostly off my riding kick, it's the reason I'm thinking of changing back....:rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
:confuse2:

The only place a short bed fails is if you are a contractor.
I guess maybe I work my truck harder than the average homeowner then. But then I suppose most people don't know the exact height that a mound of landscaping dirt or pavers ends up weighing 1,000 lbs, either... I also hate driving around with tons of overhanging with sheet goods and lumber.

Jacket
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I've hauled enough 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall to understand where you are coming from. At some point, the law of diminishing returns takes over...

The bottom line is that you make due with what you have. As long as you have 4 seats, 4wd, and a Toyota emblem on the grill, you're set for a family adventure.

DaveInDenver
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I've hauled enough 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall to understand where you are coming from. At some point, the law of diminishing returns takes over...

The bottom line is that you make due with what you have. As long as you have 4 seats, 4wd, and a Toyota emblem on the grill, you're set for a family adventure.
True dat. Also with a family and a nice house the need for a truck goes down. With an old, half dilapidated house and no kids my filter is a different color. :-)

bustanutley
03-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I just have yet to be impressed with the 4.7!

You need to drive the raisin shifted to single case, holy sh#t! I have a 2uz and trans sitting in my garage, almost together :)

corsair23
03-05-2010, 04:01 PM
One thing I would keep in mind Drew is whether you can resist the urge to build the rig up more than as just a "mild" wheeler? Each vehicle you listed will have varying levels of cost to mod it, with the 80 being relatively inexpensive IMO.

Trucks are cool and I'd love to have one but the utility of an SUV for a family is hard to beat, especially if the truck isn't a 4 door model. Getting a baby and young kids in and out of a truck (especially lifted) or any vehicle that doesn't have 4 doors is a PITA IMO.

After that it all comes down to $$ to spend and economy of the vehicle. If you drive 50+ miles roundtrip every day a high mileage, gas sucking 80 probably isn't your best bet. If you drive 10 miles rt everyday then a high mileage 80 might be perfect :thumb:

Rezarf
03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, thanks so much for all the responses.

I do think we are a full wheelin' season away at least but time will tell. I can't stand the thought of not having the wind blow across my bald white head all summer! :D

edit: Drew come over and crawl through them both, I'll show you exactly what's good and bad on each.

Thanks Tim, I may really take you up on that. I wasn't even thinking of something other than an 80... then I saw your kid-friendlly taco setup, and I have always liked that AT conversion with an expedition style box out back instead of a bed.

I just have yet to be impressed with the 4.7! It sounds like it's got something lurking but it's just doesn't deliver. They are fantastic motors as far as dependability factors in but .2 liters bigger and a short stroke V motor just doesn't gain enough wow over a long stroke straight 6 at least as far as torque goes. Beat on the Sequoia and the 40 for a couple more years and the 5.7 Tundras will get down to working man price ranges by then! If ya need to do something now a 4 door Taco with the 4.0 will more than fit all your needs!

Yeah, the big Tundra's are really SWEET! The cost is WAY up there, but you're right, the longer we wait the more affordable they will become.

Drew,

With how I know you, and what you like to wheel and experience, I think a 100 would be a perfect fit. Very comfortable, quite capable offroad, and family friendly. You could get it built over time, and, assuming you buy one with the rear locker, you'll be able to take your family out on camping trips in many places.

Lots of people will tell you that you need a bunch of crap to go wheeling and camping.

With your trailer, and a 100, you'd be miles ahead of what we had in my younger days in terms of viability, safety, and ability to be self sufficient. A 100 with a mild lift, a front bumper with a winch, and a good trailer hitch would see you all over the back country with no worries, and let you have countless hours of enjoyment with your family.

Just my .02

Yeah, you do know me Isaac, and I think you're are right on the money. I do feel like I could get a built 80 (or build one up) for considerably less than a 100, and still have a pretty capable wheeler. Only downside is the only 80 series I've driven are about as sluggish as my 2f... I can't see one towing the trailer with any more grace than the 40. :o

I still want a wheeler... just something a little more family friendly, like all of us being able to ride in the same vehicle ;) :thumb:

Thanks everyone!

chtucker
03-06-2010, 09:45 PM
One thing I would keep in mind Drew is whether you can resist the urge to build the rig up more than as just a "mild" wheeler? Each vehicle you listed will have varying levels of cost to mod it, with the 80 being relatively inexpensive IMO.

Trucks are cool and I'd love to have one but the utility of an SUV for a family is hard to beat, especially if the truck isn't a 4 door model. Getting a baby and young kids in and out of a truck (especially lifted) or any vehicle that doesn't have 4 doors is a PITA IMO.

After that it all comes down to $$ to spend and economy of the vehicle. If you drive 50+ miles roundtrip every day a high mileage, gas sucking 80 probably isn't your best bet. If you drive 10 miles rt everyday then a high mileage 80 might be perfect :thumb:

We have two vehicles, an 07 FJ and my 94 80....hands down the full size 4dr 80 is ny first choice with the kids...

SteveH
03-07-2010, 06:36 AM
If 5.7 Tundras/Sequoias were more affordable (and didn't have goofy styling), I would have bought one of those for my towing and camping needs. The 4.7 Sequoia I drove was not enough more powerful than my current crop of gutless Toyotas. It also had no soul - not flingable like a 4Runner and not a 'cruiser.

So, I commited heresy and bought an '01 F350 crew/shortbed Powerstroke. I have some cross-country vacations in mind in the future, and am tired of our gutless FJZ80 (high miles, too) and the uncomfortable seats/smallness of our '98 4Runner, which doesn't like strong winds while towing a camper on I-80. I also fried a rear wheel bearing on the last such trip.

I plan to use this aircraft carrier, er, pickup for towing and trips - and it'll sit in the garage otherwise. the turbo is pretty cool when you mash on the throttle. Just another data point in the world of 'towing options'.

Steve

AxleIke
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM

1) Small families have a way of getting bigger :eek:

2) The 80 has rear sliding glass so older kids can climb into the 3rd row while younger kids sit in car seats bolted to the second row. Try that in a 100.

4) 80 with lockers and some mods and OCD maintenance + super charger = less $$$ than 100.

I agree with all of this. 100's just have power off the bat, and no premium fuel/fuel injection mods..

however, all very good points.

3) You aren't really going to come out of a 40 into IFS are you? That alone means you are having more kids :hill:

Oh please. :rant:

Drew isn't going to run Penrose, Carnage BV, Montrose, 21 road, or Helldorado in his new truck.

Anything below those levels are easily driven with IFS. BTDT. Colorado has a handful of trails that built SA trucks are needed for.

Solid axles are stronger, more reliable, and more stable hands down. For a rig that will be mostly used to run scenic, fun trails with a family towing a camping trailer, the 100's IFS will perform above expectations.

subzali
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I thought one of the major reasons Toyota won't do SFA any more is because IFS is more stable? At least easier to handle in skidding situations?

Drive 'em all Drew, and decide which one you like.

TIMZTOY
03-07-2010, 09:29 PM
i guess it depends on what how large his family is..

so are you saying my 5' bobed bed is a joke ? :eek::(:whiteflag: lol i agree that a truck should be used as a truck and not as a primary family vicheal.. but it also depends on the size of your family..

i would say sit down and look at everything that you plan on putting inside of the truck or suv.. # or people including your self.. pets.. coolers clouths or gear.. do you care if it goes in the bed .. and how often do you plan on having all of this gear and people in the vehicle? and are you planning on making it a daily driver or trail rig or a mix of both.. then you can desifer a little eaiser between suv and truck and which one.. i love the tacoma's then would be the 80's

AxleIke
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I thought one of the major reasons Toyota won't do SFA any more is because IFS is more stable? At least easier to handle in skidding situations?

Drive 'em all Drew, and decide which one you like.

Referring to offroad. On road, I think its a wash.

Nay
03-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh please. :rant:

Drew isn't going to run Penrose, Carnage BV, Montrose, 21 road, or Helldorado in his new truck.

Anything below those levels are easily driven with IFS. BTDT. Colorado has a handful of trails that built SA trucks are needed for.

Solid axles are stronger, more reliable, and more stable hands down. For a rig that will be mostly used to run scenic, fun trails with a family towing a camping trailer, the 100's IFS will perform above expectations.

I was just tongue in cheek talking about how family life makes us all more than a bit softer...holding onto some older iron is a way to pretend it ain't happening to you, too :D

IFS is just fine for a family camping rig, and plenty are being pushed hard on relatively serious trails.

What would drive me to the 80 (find that supercharger) would be the dual factory lockers and the easy moderate mods. You go out family camping by yourself and hit an unexpected situation and you have all that extra capability at that little dial at your fingertips, but I generally like to solve for the 1% situations as a way of covering the 99% that are easily handled by a lesser machine (not that either of the other options can't be made into more than an 80 depending on what "more" means to you).

Having said that, the comfort of a 100 on long trips would be nice...

Hulk
03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the more you wheel the wagon, the more you will love it. Plenty of room for the whole family, all your tools, plenty of camping gear, food, etc. Then you find you prefer to wheel it over the 40, and your moderate lift isn't quite enough for some of the trails you want to tackle.

If that might be you, go for the 80.

Rezarf
03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the more you wheel the wagon, the more you will love it. Plenty of room for the whole family, all your tools, plenty of camping gear, food, etc. Then you find you prefer to wheel it over the 40, and your moderate lift isn't quite enough for some of the trails you want to tackle.

If that might be you, go for the 80.

Matt, you letting Stacy take a unescorted joy ride in your 80 on Kane Creek series isn't helping me and my case for the 40 ;) :thumb:

Jacket
03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Ahem....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=141383&postcount=637

sleeoffroad
03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
You need one of these.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/forum_pics/100_sas_10.jpg

Nay
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Be still my heart, another SAS'd hundy???

Rezarf
03-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Ahem....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=141383&postcount=637

Wow, that does look like a good deal.

You need one of these.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/forum_pics/100_sas_10.jpg

Mmmmm... thats nice!:thumb:

Rezarf
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
What is the average (ballpark) money involved in getting a cruiser to ride on 33-35ish inch tires:

Stock 80 series?
Stock 100 series?

Thanks!

corsair23
03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
What is the average (ballpark) money involved in getting a cruiser to ride on 33-35ish inch tires:

Stock 80 series?
Stock 100 series?

Thanks!

Not sure on the 100 series but 285s (33") will fit with the stock suspension on an 80...You might get some rubbing offroad but nothing major...So $0 on suspension and whatever you want to spend on tires. If you insist on lifting it then ballpark is $900 from our buddy Christo for the 2.5" OME suspension. Looks like the 2.5" OME lift for a 100 series is ~$150-$200 more. I think once you start talking about going beyond the 2.5" range the cost difference would vary more.

I must say, going with a 100 series just so you can install the Slee rear bumper/tire carrier/ladder would almost be worth it :thumb:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/100_series/sof1128-250.jpg

Christo, why don't you have something like this for the 80 series :confused: - That is a nice looking bumper (needs the quarter panel wings though :D)

AxleIke
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
About 50-100 bucks and a weekend of your time:

:sawzall:

:weld:

Make just about anything fit, and keep it low.

LOL :D

Course, might have to move a few other things to make room! :D:D:D Like a computer! :D:D:D

AxleIke
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
no sawzall smiley? Need to add that one.

wesintl
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
aack

chtucker
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
I physically tried two reverse facing cars seats in 2010 Tacoma & a 2010 4Runner over the weekend and I compared them to my 1994 FJZ80 and my wife's FJ Cruiser.

The Tacoma was tight, almost as tight as the FJ. I am not tall and have short inseam (30"). I am uncomfortable in the FJ with car seats in the back. The 80 is OK, I can not recline as far as I like. The 4runner was perfect with a inch or two to spare. I did try a crew max Tundra, but not for 48K.

A year or two old Sequoia can be bought for what the 4runner was selling for, but you take a 5mpg hit probably. The Sequoia was rated to tow 3500 more pounds.

I really would like to find a 2008 200 series cruiser with under 40k miles if I could get it for about the same price as the 4runner... I might have to wait till fall if I go that route.

We are probably just going to go with a trail edition 4runner.

nakman
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I physically tried two reverse facing cars seats in 2010 Tacoma & a 2010 4Runner over the weekend and I compared them to my 1994 FJZ80 and my wife's FJ Cruiser.

The Tacoma was tight, almost as tight as the FJ. I am not tall and have short inseam (30"). I am uncomfortable in the FJ with car seats in the back. The 80 is OK, I can not recline as far as I like. The 4runner was perfect with a inch or two to spare. I did try a crew max Tundra, but not for 48K.

A year or two old Sequoia can be bought for what the 4runner was selling for, but you take a 5mpg hit probably. The Sequoia was rated to tow 3500 more pounds.

I really would like to find a 2008 200 series cruiser with under 40k miles if I could get it for about the same price as the 4runner... I might have to wait till fall if I go that route.

We are probably just going to go with a trail edition 4runner.

Our 2001 Taco is the best vehicle yet for rear facing kid seats- and I suspect you could make a 2010 Taco just as good. What I did was remove the seat backs, so the car seat bases could be back another 6-8" from where they would have been. They still snugged down nice and tight using the seat belts, but I could put the front seats really far back and it wouldn't even touch the car seats.

That was in the "bucket," now that our 1yo has abandoned that things are a little tighter with the traditional rear facing seat, and I put the seat back back in for her on her side. Our son is still sitting pretty with no seat back, and a traditional forward facing seat with lots of legroom.

Rezarf
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Screw it, I am keeping the 40! :D

If I have to buy a pair of roller blades, that's what I'll do to get around. We are going to continue to save for another family vehicle... probably a mini-van at some point, but I had a dream of me and my boy riding in the 40 with him eating an ice cream and smilling at me cruising down the road... it was awesome.

I will see how we are doing at the end of the summer ;)

MountainGoat
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Excellent call. :thumb:

wesintl
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Excellent call. :thumb:

on probably a mini van.. OMG

MountainGoat
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
on probably a mini van.. OMG

Hey, it took 50 posts to get to where he decided to keep the 40. It will take much less work to talk him out of the mini van! :hill:

AxleIke
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Dang, wish I'd seen this before I posted in your other thread! :D Disregard posts in your "rust" thread. LOL!

Good choice on the 40. Now we just need to talk you out of that "mini-van" business. You don't need no stinkin mini-van. Save up for the 100. Lift it, armor it, and lock it. That'll be what you show up to soccer practice in, and you'll be the envy of every other dad there!

Red_Chili
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Minivans make your voice pitch higher. Don't do it man. Go read "Wild at Heart" and you will see the error of your ways.
:lmao:

Nay
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Minivans absolutely rock. They allow you do to any and everything you want to your wheeling rig and you will spend zero dollars modifying the van.

You push buttons and all the doors open, all the kids get in, all the kids watch movies on wireless headphones. It gets old lifting heavier kids into a SUV all the time just to have far less space and worse fuel economy and higher insurance premiums.

Plus, you can keep the 3rd row seats up and still have a ton of storage space and they'll want to sit all the way in the back. You won't believe how far back that really is from your ears. It's beautiful man, beautiful.

(Get a Nissan Quest).

Corbet
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree that mini vans are the most pratical vehicle for the family. MPG, PM, initial cost especially used. Get a minivan and keep the 40 as your wheeler.

wesintl
03-19-2010, 09:39 AM
if you have more than two kids a mini van is practical but otherwise it's just a choice you can't convince me of. :D

MDH33
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Supercharged AWD Previa :cool::hill:

NSFW language

X_yvEfCaLDI

Corbet
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't day I want one. But they just are practical. Like Nay said you hit a botton and the doors open. More space, better MPG. I grew up with one and they just work. Parents can pile you and your friends in and ride in confort. 3rd rows in 80/100's suck unless your kids are young. Even then access is not easy. When our Subaru no longer cuts if for the family a mini van might be the next thing. I just have to consider the abuse the dirt road to our house has on vehicles. A 4Runner might be better as far as durability for my situation. Otherwise an AWD Sienna would be it or Highlander which is just a minivan without the sliding door IMO.

MDH33
03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Or how about a 4wd Toyota ace camper? :)

http://www.campingaround.com/toyota_townace_4wd.html

theboomboom
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
3rd rows in 80/100's suck unless your kids are young.

I still get thrown back there on occasion in the LX :eek:

Nay
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
if you have more than two kids a mini van is practical but otherwise it's just a choice you can't convince me of. :D

I never would have gotten a minivan for 2 kids, but I also didn't know better.

I'd would still do it now, because the cost of operating is so much lower than an SUV that you can afford a lot more money for your toys.

I'm actually in the interesting position of my minivan becoming too small - by adding a large dog to a family of four, I am now squarely in Suburban territory although my two littlest are just getting to the age where they can climb in and buckle themselves.

Plus the Burb could tow the 80 for really long destinations allowing two trucks on the B end - that way I could wheel some days where the family was interested in other things. That you cannot do in a minivan.

Corbet
03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
where do you put the large dog when wheeling. Mine currently takes up the whole middle row. I need to get my drawers built...

chtucker
03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Bringing this back closer to topic (not that I wouldn't love a 4x4 sportsmobile/syncro westfalia camper or such)

You won't get my wife in a mini-van. We need 4wd (must be able to drive through 12-18" of powder snow to get out to the county road).

We are looking at newer, just for the safety features (stronger roofs/air bags).

No real off roading. Gas mileage is not to important as my wife's commute is less than 3 miles a day.

We are looking at crew cab Tacoma, new 4 runner, Subie outback, couple year old Sequoia...

Any thoughts on the +/-s of each?

Rezarf
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow, everyone got their undies in a wad over the mini-van comment ;) :lol:

Yeah, I would be all over another wagon, but in reality, it isn't practical.

CardinalFJ60
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
let the ridicule begin. :D

we've got the near-mac-daddy Sienna AWD (XLE package) for the two kiddos, gear and two 80lb dogs. I love the mini-van. it's soooo damn practical, easy to load kids, Home depot crap, dogs, two kids plus others in the car is nice with the third row seat. it rides very nicely, OK on gas and with the AWD it goes anywhere there are roads. We call it the Swagger wagon. ;) My wife is all of 5' tall so the SUV's are out of the question; too tall to load up the small ones. Although, I'll admit, she keeps mentioning she NEEDS a new 200 series Cruiser when the kids are older. I say...OK.

Drew, I can't believe it, but I love our minivan...keep in mind I've got the two cruisers as well, so my addiction is satisfied. we have the Thule box on top as well, it's a pretty killer setup. IMHO. We can swing by someday if you want to check it out. it'll be fully kiddo'd out...carseats, dogs, diaper bag, Lighting McQueens all over the floor, and a few Thomas's and Percy's as well.