PDA

View Full Version : WTBorrow 80 Castor bushing press tool, jig?

BobinDenver
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
The new 2.5" heavy lift is installed! (Resulting in about 4" of body lift...) Many thanks to Stephen Rudy for his time, tools and techniques.:bowdown:

...except for the small part about the caster bushings.:rolleyes: So...

I'm looking to borrow a bushing press tool to push out the old caster bushings. A jig to align the new bushings would be icing.

(Plan B is a hacksaw - your sympathy will be rewarded with your choice of drink:beer: and many accolades.:thumb:)

Thank you,

Bob(inDenver)

corsair23
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry Bob...No tool here...Slee did mine

nuclearlemon
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
depending on how rusty, it may take a large press. as schegel, we used a 10 ton press on his and it made some nasty shotgun sounds when they finally broke loose

leiniesred
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I think it is a subaru SVX transfercase rear output shaft bearing. It even had the step machined into it to keep it centered in the stock bushing.

I ran around it once with the flap wheel for clearance. fit perfectly, except it is too short. I think the inner bearing race was from a 8" carrier bearing.

12 ton press worked pretty doggone well.

The included paper template worked just fine to make sure the offset bushings were in the right places.

BobinDenver
03-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Thank you Jeff and Ige for the interest and advice.

And again to Mr. Rudy and his random shop parts for the win! The new caster busings are doing their job.

I'm looking forward to the next project!