PDA

View Full Version : Who slacklines?

subzali
04-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Yep, it's my newest addiction. Maybe I'll actually get better at it if I try enough times :lmao:

Seldom Seen
04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Yep, it's my newest addiction. Maybe I'll actually get better at it if I try enough times :lmao:

Man you're nuts :eek: I've watched those guys doing it over the Box Canyon Gorge in Ouray. There has got to be an easier way:confused: to kill your self :flop:

Course they probably think the same thing when I'm throwing figure 4's on Bloody Sunday at the bottom of the gorge

JadeRunner
04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
What's slacklines and figure 4's?

wesintl
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I had to look up slacklines.... I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought WTF?

Seldom Seen
04-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Slacklineing over Box Canyon, Ouray

http://www.ourayicefestival.com/2006_fest_images/P1010299_600.jpg

Throwing 4's (not me) on a climb similar to Bloody Sunday

http://mountainx.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=51

Check out "Just Did Caveman" about 1/2 the way down the page.

Shark Bait
04-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Why? :smokin:

60wag
04-21-2006, 08:34 AM
I enjoy a good slackline now and then - but I like to keep it close to the ground.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=85707

Bruce

subzali
04-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Well, just so everybody doesn't think I'm TOTALLY nuts, I'm not highlining (yet). I'm only a couple feet off the ground. I don't really know why I'm into it now, all I know is that every time I come off of it I have a huge smile on my face, like this :hill: . I guess that's all I need.

But seriously it's good cross-training for balance and control for delicate maneuvers like when rock climbing. Also good for spacial awareness, and not to mention balance. :cheers:

subzali
04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Course they probably think the same thing when I'm throwing figure 4's on Bloody Sunday at the bottom of the gorge

So figure 4's are when you swing your leg up to get a solid reaching "stance"? That's some pretty serious drytool work there...I like it. Gonna start with some more basic ice climbing this next winter, maybe some day drytooling will be within my abilities.

Seldom Seen
04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Drytooling is something you do in high school when you can't get a date :lmao: :lmao:

It's MIXED climbing !!! Jokn' with ya bro. Been waiting to use that one for years.

4's are left leg over right arm or visa-versa, 9's are same leg over same arm. Yea you use them to gain reach, plus you are hanging bone on bone and not relying on muscle to hold yourself up, kina like a lockoff. My problem is I'm getting so damn old that once I get in one, if I don't make the next placement I cant get out. I still can beat the 20 somethings though when we play highpoint.

When you're slacklining, how much slack do you leave. I've heard of it a lot but the only time I've seen it is in Ouray and they looked like they were tight rope walking?

subzali
04-21-2006, 05:36 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
**but all I saw was rock, there was no ice involved, so how's it mixed? ;) **

I'm gonna have to use that joke now...

From what I've heard, the really good slackliners get it tight enough to twang like a guitar string, so they get like 5 guys yarding on a 6:1 or more pulley system, or they take vehicles or whatever else to tighten it up. The ones we've been setting up drop a good foot or so near the ends where you mount up, more like 1.5 to 2 feet in the center of a 20-25 foot span. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics of how regular people do it :thumb: :hill: I use a 4:1 and pull on it until I feel it's good enough; you have to retighten it anyway during your session.

*Hey I'm locked now! Why is this forum always one step ahead of me? It keeps pushing me to do more to my truck :rolleyes: !*