PDA

View Full Version : Recommened hand held

sleeoffroad
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Since I might be thrown out of a truck at CM due to my opinions on the repeater I need to buy a handheld so that I can at least call someone to come get my ass. Or I might have to bring some ice back for Ken.

So what is the consensus on what HT to buy. Simple, not very expensive with good battery life.

Hants
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a kenwood th6a. One of the few with lithium ion battery. 5w with great battery life.

rover67
03-06-2010, 02:11 PM
A lot of folks in the club have the yaesu VX-7r's. we have one and i like it. they are not cheap though.

Mendocino
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I have the thf6a like Hants and am very happy. There is an advantage to getting the Yaesu since so many people in the club have it and Dave will program it for you. If you get a Kenwood I can clone my configuration to your radio if you want.

Uncle Ben
03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Christo, you are welcome to use/try my VX-7r in Moab. I'm not going and I doubt I'll be needing it. I might have Marco Clone it with his first as I think my original (Daves first set) programming has a couple glitches.

sleeoffroad
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
UB, thanks for the offer, but with my luck I will drop it in the margarita mix and then have to buy 2.

Uncle Ben
03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
UB, thanks for the offer, but with my luck I will drop it in the margarita mix and then have to buy 2.

It's waterproof! It has survived Mead and riding in a Tacoma with a Matt....what could be worse? :lmao:

wesintl
03-06-2010, 04:17 PM
he 7 and 8 are nice, 5w max. if i were to buy another one i'd get a 3r. they are nice and small to fit in your pocket. only 3w though.

sleeoffroad
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh man that 3 is pretty small. Is 3 watts enough for around camp use etc?

Anyone upgrading to something new and want to sell a old one?

rover67
03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I personally think 3w would work for around camp and on a run. especially with an external antenna.

I am like Wes now that I think about it a littel more, that 3 is pretty sweet.

rover67
03-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Christo, you are welcome to use/try my VX-7r in Moab. I'm not going and I doubt I'll be needing it. I might have Marco Clone it with his first as I think my original (Daves first set) programming has a couple glitches.

more than happy to, just need to figure out why mine won't grab Nakman's programming.. maybe it's something simple because I checked the clone cable and it is good per Yaesu.

jacdaw
03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Christo, I have an FT-60. Way more rugged than the VX line (mil spec for shock, dust, water) and it doesn't have all the whiz-bang gadgets like GPS, etc. The only thing I did was to buy a 17" long gain antenna for it.

If you buy an HT for trail use, I recommend that you buy a mag mount antenna for it. The extra gain will make your little radio perform like a champ. Also get the car charger cable. I'm not sure about the VX line, but the FT-60 cigarette cord charges the battery pack and simultaneously powers the radio. Another good tip is make sure you get a AA battery pack and not just the rechargeable pack. At CM maybe not an issue, but skiing or hiking in the back country it could mean the difference between being heard and not. AA packs almost always provide more transmit power than rechargeables for the same radio.

corsair23
03-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh man that 3 is pretty small. Is 3 watts enough for around camp use etc?

It is with a repeater up on the hill :hill: (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I have the VX7R like many others...I like it a lot and for now it is my HT and my mobile radio. I installed an external antenna on the LX that I plug into when in the truck. Reach wise its not going to compare to a 50w mobile rig and you will tend to hear a lot of conversation but find that you can't reach out far enough necessarily to talk to all the people you can hear. That said, driving to meetings there have been times that I've been able to talk to people north of I70 and Wadworth from the Chatfield Res area. Battery life wise...I used it for a full weekend during the Ghost Town: battery lasted the entire trip down, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday until about Bailey just when we were trying to coordinate dinner plans :doh:

Karst8835
03-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I have a VX8r. Works great.

nakman
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah but Marco is cloning from mine, which is a clone from Dave, so the same program.. like we're all passing the same cold around.

edit: and if I were to buy another HT it would be a VX-3r

chtucker
03-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah but Marco is cloning from mine, which is a clone from Dave, so the same program.. like we're all passing the same cold around.

edit: and if I were to buy another HT it would be a VX-3r

Try programming 20,000 radios and not screwing up:eek: There are 50,000 unique radios on our system.. And mistakes screw with the brain of the system.. badly.