PDA

View Full Version : After CM2010 - May 3rd - May 6th

rhyary
03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
It was suggested by Hants that I will open a specific thread for this topic. So here it is:
I would like to do more trails after last day of CM2010, since I am already there. I have to start driving back on Friday. So I have Monday to Thursday to do more trails.

The thread should cover two issues: 1. What trails, 2. With whom.
As you all know, even if the trail is magnificent, going solo is not advisable.
So I am looking for:

1. what trails
2. Who wants to join.

There is a potential that another eastern truck will join me, so we will be two trucks. But I don't have a commitment yet.

Also, if a trail is suggested, please point me where I can get trail maps and in general how to move about in Moab. The CM event takes the navigation issue out, but from May 3rd to May 6th I will have to know my way around. Unless one of the local decide to join us.

Lastly - Not interested in breaking parts so equivalent of 6 and below from the trail system on the CM site. I like driving in the desert so if anyone can suggest trails that are driving vs. rock crawling that will be preferred.

Many thanks in advance

Rami

Blackdiamond72
03-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Run the rim trail in Canyon Lands NP, I was told its around 200 miles and no real obstacles. Great views the entire time.

rhyary
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Hmm sounds like fun. Anyone did that trail recently?

MDH33
03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Hmm sounds like fun. Anyone did that trail recently?

I haven't, but I do know you need permits for the White Rim trail if you intend to camp along the way. You can do it in a single day, but it wouldn't leave much time for sightseeing/hiking, etc.

farnhamstj
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I've done the white rim a couple on times by bicycle and truck. I made it in one tank of gas no problem. Martin is correct you need a permit to camp, but not to drive through. Easy drive unless it starts raining, then it's redclay festival. Even if you don't do the entire White rim, do Schaffer trail, it's spectacular.

You can purchase a guide book in Moab or online before you go. If it's your 1st time to Moab. Definatly plan a day at Arches NP. There is a 4x4 road on the way out that is kind of fun. Lots to see from the road and 1/2 mile hikes. Onion creek is fun trail too. Gemini bridges is pretty. The San Raffle Swell has a bunch of dirt road to cool places to explore. Check out Swasey Cabin and Lone Warrior rock art. When you get to Moab buy the LATITUDE 40 map, it's available in City Market and very good.

this site should give you some ideas too http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

Caribou Sandstorm
03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
What about running the Kokopelli backward? Mostly dirt roads with the exception of Rose Garden Hill. Could take 2 nights or 3 if you want. Top of the World picture will be a favorite for years to come.

You also might have some company, as some have been kicking this idea around on the way home back to Denver.

The Rim is also an epic route.

Finally you could head into Beef Basin, as another option and check out some of the ruins. Camping spots all over the place and no one around for miles, usually.

rhyary
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Idealy I would like to find a trail long enough to drive thru the desert camping along the way. Something scenic, long, 10/20mph, covering the desert.
Not necessary another 3 miles trail doing 5mph.
If I can find something that I can start at Moab and come out someplace on the way home that would be ideal.

I don't even know if this exist but I can dream, right?

bh4rnnr
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Idealy I would like to find a trail long enough to drive thru the desert camping along the way. Something scenic, long, 10/20mph, covering the desert.
Not necessary another 3 miles trail doing 5mph.
If I can find something that I can start at Moab and come out someplace on the way home that would be ideal.

I don't even know if this exist but I can dream, right?

You have lots of options, just depends on what direction and how remote you want to get.

White Rim is fun. Good trail for a East coaster, gets you into the thick of Desert Country while not being to far from town. Robbie myself and one other member from the FJ trail teams (sorry Robbie, forgot his name:o) did this trail in one day. Had breckfast at Moab Dinner, stopped at the Colorado River for a dip, had a long lunch and hiked a fun slot canyon.

Yellow Cat Country is lots of fun to explore. Easy and lots of mining history (Uranium, so it's your call when exploring the mines).

Canyonlands; Lots of options. Head west on I-70 then south from Green River (make sure to grab a burger at Ray's Tavern). Horseshoe, Maze and Doll House are within a days drive from Green River. Do note that the last 20 miles into the Maze and Doll House are Moderate to VDL (Vehicle Damage Likley) for a stock vehicle. The Maze and Doll House require permites. Best to call now if you want to go. The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and his gang, used Spanish Bottom as a route to Ouray where miners would pay top dollers for horses, no questions asked.

Canyonlands cont: Beef Basin, E-Hill and Lockhart. This makes a great drive, with some technical driving. I will be honest that I have not done this all at once. Lockhart is fun, remote and a good way to get out of the city. If you do this from Moab, you'll end at 211 and have a few options. Canyonlands is due West, here you could do E-Hill and make your way through Boby's hole to Beef Basin. Or you could just skip E-Hill, Canyonloands and the many motorhomes cross Indian Creek and make your way to Beef Basin. Either way, great drive.

Book Cliffs and the San Rafael Swell: North of I-70, you have some options for explorin'. Got to be carefull though as the Indian Res is within the Book Cliffs. As far as the San Rafael Swell, it's due west of Green River, head North or South and have fun. Goblin Valley is in the Southern Portion of the Swell. The lone mountain range to the south are the Henry Mountains, I didnt memtion them as they may be still snowed in this time of year.

Some must reads before you come:

Desert Solitare: Edward Abby.
House of Rain: Craig Childs
Theres one other book, but i've lost the thread (Sorry have not read it), sounds to be a keeper. It's about Moab, one of Ed's friends wrote it. If you e-mail Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, he *should* know what i'm talkin about....

:beer::beer::beer:

wesintl
03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
you can't get there the weekend before? plenty of folks then to help show you around...

rhyary
03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
bh4rnnr,
Thanks for the info. It is a bit overwhelming but I will try to map the information you gave me into a plan. I have to translate it into:
May 3 - I am doing that
May 4 - I am doing this
May 5 - I am doing what?
May 6 - Driving home.

BTW - I still need a plan for Monday, Tue and Wed before Moab, but I figured enough people will show up before the event that I will just join someone that has car with no scratches. :-)

Rock Dog
03-10-2010, 11:52 PM
As has already been said, you can do Elephant hill, and maybe even stay in Devlis Kitchen (cool place)...
maybe even do the hike in Chessler park...

From there you can take the trail out the back into Beef Basin, and explore a bunch of cool Anasazi Ruins... a cool way to see some remote back country..

Another option is to head south past Blanding and do Hotel Rock... some tricky climbs, so better to be with someone.

and if you choose to go north from Moab, you can take back roads to some cool Dunes and canyons to explore on the way to the San Rafael Swell... more of the swell than can really be explored in a week..... but a week would be really fun.

rhyary
03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I have been studying trail damage web site,
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php,
and I am starting to get the gist of it. I am especially checking the long trails.
In a previous post it has been mentioned that I need to get a permit a head of time.
Anyone care to elaborate about the camping permit? How do I get it a head of time and from whom? Especially when I did not make specific plans yet. Is that something I get for the whole area or trail specific?

TIA

Corbet
03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Run the rim trail in Canyon Lands NP, I was told its around 200 miles and no real obstacles. Great views the entire time.

If your referring to the White Rim Trail it is actually about 106 miles. Beautiful but long day. Maybe close to two hudred if your counting the round trip from town?

rhyary
03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
White Rim is one of my chosen routes. I am not sure if I want to do it before or after CM.
but I think it will be after. I will post this week my plans to see if anyone care to join me.
Last night I narrowed down traildamage.com into about 10 routes I am interested to run.

One thing that is hard to do, and where you guys can help determine the time it takes to run one trail or another. I fully understand that just because a trail is 15 miles long, it does tells the time it takes to do it.

wesintl
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I have been studying trail damage web site,
http://www.traildamage.com/google_utah.php,
and I am starting to get the gist of it. I am especially checking the long trails.
In a previous post it has been mentioned that I need to get a permit a head of time.
Anyone care to elaborate about the camping permit? How do I get it a head of time and from whom? Especially when I did not make specific plans yet. Is that something I get for the whole area or trail specific?

TIA

a permit is only required for camping. if you bomb wr in one day you don't need it. http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

you will still have the vehicle park fee though but not required to purchase in advance

as noted i would go down to beef basin or spend some time hiking in arches, canyonlands, or some of the other close hikes. hitting the populr part of the swell is way mor fun than another day on steel bender IMHO. I would also do lockhart basin trail from needles to moab. nice 1 dayer.

rhyary
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
wesint,
Thanks for you comments and the link.
Beef Basin and Lockhart are on my list as well.
I'll post the list tonight or tomorrow.

I will have to translate the list to actually days. I noticed that some trails go together, so I need to not just post a list, but group them in to what make sense and then convert it to a plan, meaning What do I do Monday? Tue? Wed?
I understand that without the next step it will be hard for you guys to help me plan.

farnhamstj
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Bring it on, we're more than happy to help. Give us your top picks of trails and we'll give you rough time frames and a schedule. Are you camping the entire time? rustic or KOA?

rhyary
03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Here are the trails I am interested in. Some will need to be grouped together into a day. And then will need to be assign an actual day.

Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Cliff Hanger - doing it on Thu CM2010
Colorado River Overlook
Devil's Lane
Dome Plateau
Elephant Hill
Find & Things - doing it on Sat CM2010
Gemini Bridges
Granite Creek
Hole In The Rock
Hurras Pass
Jackson Hole
Kane Creek Canyon
Klondike Bluffs
La Sal Pass
Lockhart Basin
Onion Creek
Poisen Spider Mesa
Porcupine Rim - doing it on Friday CM2010
Rose Garden Hill
Shcarf Mesa West
Secret Spire
Shafer Trail
Spring CAnyon Bottom
Taylor Canyon
Top of the World (must see)
White Rim (probably after CM one or two days)

These are listed alphabetically. My next plan is to read the description in depth and group them by proximity. However, anyone feel free to make suggestions.

What characterizing these trails is that they are easy for 4" lift and 35 tires. This means I should be able to go through them at slow by study pace. According to the description I have, they can be challenged to stock or slightly modified trucks. The way I interpret it that a trail may take 2 hours to 4" lift 35" tires may take 5 hours to stock vehicle. I am interested in trails that my car can drive thru. I am not interested spending two hours trying to get thru one little hill.

Again, your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.

Rami

Hulk
03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Here are trails that you could probably run by yourself:

Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Colorado River Overlook (there is more than one overlook, but I think they are all pretty accessible)
Dome Plateau
Gemini Bridges
Secret Spire
Top of the World (must see)

In addition, there is a really cool 4WD loop in Arches Nat'l Park. The park itself is well worth the price of admission for all the stuff you can see on pavement or by foot.

These I would suggest that you should NOT run by yourself:

Cliff Hanger
Elephant Hill (you could maybe do this one, but it's a very long day)
Fins & Things
Hole In The Rock (super long and far away)
Kane Creek Canyon
Onion Creek
Poison Spider Mesa
Porcupine Rim
Rose Garden Hill

It should be noted that Onion Creek is CLOSED. It is illegal to run through the creek bottom now, and you can get a serious fine for doing so.

The others that you listed, I don't know enough to give you any good answers. What are they rated?

Corbet
03-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Your going to have to narrow that down a lot. Even with your well equiped truck it will be hard to cover that list in the time you have. Your truck will not cut time in half over a stock truck.

A great number of trails in Moab contain large sections of slickrock or other rock surfaces. You will be crawling over them regardless of vehicle unless getting bounced around in the rig does not bother you, but at speed I wager it will get old. Poison Spider is a great example of this. There are a few obstacles but nothing very hard.(I wheel a stock 80) However its seems there is an endless supply of bumpy rock which dictates a slow pace.

I have not done all the trails on your list but I'll try to help narrow it a little. You could easily cross off Top of the World. Its a pretty uneventful trail with a great view at the end. But a view of the same valley you'll see on Friday from the top of Porcupine Rim. Just from the oppisite side of the valley.

Gemini Bridges. I would not bother. If you want to see an arch best to goto Arches. The trail is more like an access road to bigger and better. Easily driven by a Subaru.

The Shafer Trail is part of the White Rim loop unless you want to seek other routes back to town.

In the end you'll probably change your plans anyway after getting your first taste of Moab during the event. The scenery is spectacular and its hard to pass up trails that offer it. But driving over slickrock obstacles is addicting with its super traction. Its easy to want to spend all your time doing what seems impossible anywhere else.

rhyary
03-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Many thanks for the great Input.
I will work on narrowing it down.

rhyary
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I made reservation for White Rim camping for the only ones that were available:
May 3rd Labyrnith A
May 4th Taylor.

They are 70 miles into it, but that's ok. will get to camp in the desert.

rhyary
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I would like to drive DS road from Moab to Colorado on Thursday May 6.
Heading home Friday from Colorado.
Does it sounds like a good plan for those who know DS road?

Hulk
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Never heard of DS road.

You can take the Kokopelli trail all the way from Moab to Colorado.

DaveInDenver
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
I made reservation for White Rim camping for the only ones that were available:
May 3rd Labyrnith A
May 4th Taylor.

They are 70 miles into it, but that's ok. will get to camp in the desert.
Taylor is not really on the White Rim Road and Labyrinth is right at the end of the Mineral Road part. They are only a few miles apart, in the western end of the White Rim Trail.

If those are your two choices I would probably pick Taylor and spend the evening or morning checking out Moses & Zeus since you'll be camping right by them. Most people who do the White Rim never get up there to see them and they are pretty cool.