PDA

View Full Version : Before CM2010 - April 26, 27 and 28

rhyary
03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I have printed all the trails from traildamage.com and have been working on trails that interest me. Typically the longer ones.

I am hoping to get to Area BFE Sunday night and be ready to explore starting Monday. I will be camping at BFE the whole time.

Does anyone that is familiar with the trails wants to join me for any of the days before CM?

I am going to put into this thread my plans for these three days. I will be more comfortable going with some one that is familiar with these trails.

As you can tell, I want to be organized since I don't want to stand around all day trying to figure out where to go. Having say that I am totally flexible to join others.

I greatly appreciated any help I can get to make this trip a memorable one.

FJBRADY
03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I have printed all the trails from traildamage.com and have been working on trails that interest me. Typically the longer ones.

I am hoping to get to Area BFE Sunday night and be ready to explore starting Monday. I will be camping at BFE the whole time.

Does anyone that is familiar with the trails wants to join me for any of the days before CM?

I am going to put into this thread my plans for these three days. I will be more comfortable going with some one that is familiar with these trails.

As you can tell, I want to be organized since I don't want to stand around all day trying to figure out where to go. Having say that I am totally flexible to join others.

I greatly appreciated any help I can get to make this trip a memorable one.

There will be several of us in town Sat/Sun before the event. There will be plenty of pick up runs during that time. Curious to see your list!

rhyary
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Using the other thread, I am now down to these trails:

Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Colorado River Overlook (there is more than one overlook, but I think they are all pretty accessible)
Dome Plateau
Secret Spire

Elephant Hill (you could maybe do this one, but it's a very long day)
Hole In The Rock (super long and far away)
Kane Creek Canyon
Poison Spider Mesa
Rose Garden Hill
white rim

So I have make decision from the above what to do in the first 3 days.
Also the bottom part is not recommended doing by myself. Very likely I will be joined with another North East truck, but it is going to be his first time at Moab as well.
I assume Monday I will want something close and slow with breaks and starting not to early.
Tue I can take a long day. Up with first light - coffee - off we go... coming back to camp by sunset. I don't see a point traveling at night.
Wed I can take a long day - same as tue
Thur is already CM - mingle with the crowd :-)

FJBRADY
03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Using the other thread, I am now down to these trails:

Beef Basin
Chicken Corner
Colorado River Overlook (there is more than one overlook, but I think they are all pretty accessible)
Dome Plateau
Secret Spire

Elephant Hill (you could maybe do this one, but it's a very long day)
Hole In The Rock (super long and far away)
Kane Creek Canyon
Poison Spider Mesa
Rose Garden Hill
white rim

So I have make decision from the above what to do in the first 3 days.
Also the bottom part is not recommended doing by myself. Very likely I will be joined with another North East truck, but it is going to be his first time at Moab as well.
I assume Monday I will want something close and slow with breaks and starting not to early.
Tue I can take a long day. Up with first light - coffee - off we go... coming back to camp by sunset. I don't see a point traveling at night.
Wed I can take a long day - same as tue
Thur is already CM - mingle with the crowd :-)

Good choices. If you are staying in camp it will be easy to get folks to join or tag along on other trails.

We need a white board at BFE so people can post up what they are planning to run each day before the event!

timmbuck2
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I will be running Poison Spider and Metal Masher on Monday or Tuesday if anyone wants to join me

timmbuck2
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
and drinking somewhere sunday for my birthday ;)

FJBRADY
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Bringing both rigs....Michele wants to drive Gemini Bridges on the way out to Secret Spire on Monday. She will probably want to do Top of the world on Tuesday morning. My plan is to do Kane Creek Wednesday afternoon.

rhyary
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I am camping in Area BFE where the CM is.
I hope to get there Sun night.

Steve, will you be heading to Gemini Bridges mid morning kind of a thing?

rhyary
03-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Timmback2,
If you do Poison Spider on Tue morning , I can join you, but might want to do something easier on the afternoon.

Air Randy
03-19-2010, 08:57 AM
OK, Poison Spider on Monday, Metal Masher on Tuesday, Kane Creek on Wednesday, what are we doing on Sunday?

FJBRADY
03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I am camping in Area BFE where the CM is.
I hope to get there Sun night.

Steve, will you be heading to Gemini Bridges mid morning kind of a thing?

Probably....no rush.

FJBRADY
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
what are we doing on Sunday?

Don't know as we will be rolling into town, doubt we will be on the trail on Sunday.

Air Randy
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Don't know as we will be rolling into town, doubt we will be on the trail on Sunday.

BFE night run? :thumb:

bigbluefj
03-21-2010, 06:20 PM
and drinking somewhere sunday for my birthday ;)

Drinking something for my birthday EH!! :D:D:beer::beer::D:D

Red_Chili
03-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd like to try some of the NON-CM trails, that Easter Jeep runs. There may be some interesting stuff pretty close in. Kinda bored with the usual fare (relatively speaking, a 'boring' day at Moab is far better than an exciting day at work!!).

rhyary
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
....Michele wants to drive Gemini Bridges on the way out to Secret Spire on Monday. She will probably want to do Top of the world on Tuesday morning. My plan is to do Kane Creek Wednesday afternoon.

Ok, so the plan seems to congeal to:
Monday I am going with Michele to Gemini Bridge - Steve you coming? :-)
Tue my PA friend Jonathan and I plan on Beef Basin any one care to join us?
Wed I am still open

Rami

rhyary
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Wed - Kane Creek Canyon

Steve,
Wed Kane Creek sounds good to me I would like to join you.
You mentioned afternoon. So I should have something plan for the morning?

TIA

RockRunner
03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Arriving Sunday and running BFE, after that I have no clue except for Moab Rim since I have to lead it Friday or Saturday.

FJBRADY
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Wed - Kane Creek Canyon

Steve,
Wed Kane Creek sounds good to me I would like to join you.
You mentioned afternoon. So I should have something plan for the morning?

TIA

Cool.

Yes, I am part of Tech for CM10 so I plan on being at the Tech station until noon/ early afternoon on Wednesday.

As for Wednesday am, I am sure there will be a run you can hop on.

bh4rnnr
03-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd like to try some of the NON-CM trails, that Easter Jeep runs. There may be some interesting stuff pretty close in. Kinda bored with the usual fare (relatively speaking, a 'boring' day wrenching on the 4runner at Moab is far better than an exciting day at work!!).

Fixed it for ya Bill:hill::brick::bolt:

bh4rnnr
03-22-2010, 09:15 PM
....Michele wants to drive Gemini Bridges on the way out to Secret Spire on Monday. She will probably want to do Top of the world on Tuesday morning. My plan is to do Kane Creek Wednesday afternoon.

Ok, so the plan seems to congeal to:
Monday I am going with Michele to Gemini Bridge - Steve you coming? :-)
Tue my PA friend Jonathan and I plan on Beef Basin any one care to join us?
Wed I am still open

Rami

Are you planning to do Beef Basin in one day? If so that would be a very long day and one I wouldnt recomend. To get into the basin taking Highway 211, and Indian Creek is around 4hours. To get a taste of what Beef Basin has to offer, i'd recomend at least a afternoon, if not a full day within the basin exploring.

rhyary
03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Perry,
Thanks for an excellent point. I was not aware that Beef Basin is 4 hours away from Area BFE. Hmm....

I don't mind driving a trail for 4 hours, but driving on the road for 4 hours is not appealing after driving 2000 miles

Can I drive Monday night to Beef Basin doing it Tue and come back to BFE Tue night? would that work?

Anyone has alternative suggestions for Tuesday? How about Chicken Corner?

wesintl
03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't mind driving a trail for 4 hours, but driving on the road for 4 hours is not appealing after driving 2000 miles

it's only maybe an hour if that on pavement. then it's all unimproved dirt. you make the turn just past newspaper rock and circle around the backside of canyonlands.

It's really nice, you could come out e hill and then do lockhart to moab. it's going to be hard to do beef basin as a day trip. are you doing ehill as a part of cm?

bh4rnnr
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
it's only maybe an hour if that on pavement. then it's all unimproved dirt. you make the turn just past newspaper rock and circle around the backside of canyonlands.

It's really nice, you could come out e hill and then do lockhart to moab. it's going to be hard to do beef basin as a day trip. are you doing ehill as a part of cm?

Probably just a little over, but should leave a little time for Newspaper Rock. The dirt road in takes about 2hours to get into the basin.

rhyary
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, then I do like dirt roads. I don't get a chance to drive my car 2 hours off the pavement, and to me is part of the experience. I don't want to only climb rocks.
Given that I will enjoy the dirt road, should I then keep Beef on for Tue?

I was not planning on doing e-hill.

wesintl
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Probably just a little over,
not in an 80 :D.. maybe in a 22r ;) lol

rhyary
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I GOT INTO the Overnighter.
So that defines my "before" CM activity.
I hope to get in Sunday night and do a trail Monday.
Tue PM I have to head over to the Overnight camp site.
I suppose what make sense is to find a trail that is in the direction of San Rafael. Leave BFE Tue morning, do a trail, and continue to camp.

So, if anyone have suggestion for a Tue trail between BFE and San Rafael please let me know.

Rami