PDA

View Full Version : Stupid 80 questions

Hulk
03-21-2010, 05:50 PM
1. I need to add some AT fluid. Where do I do this and how do I tell when it's full? I searched both the FSM and Mud for this, but didn't find anything. (I need to add some because I installed a new radiator -- those fittings at the bottom of the radiator are from the AT, right?)

2. When I filled my radiator with new coolant (50/50 water/Toyota Red), I used about 2.5 gallons of mix. I was guessing that I would have used more. Does this sound about right? I guess the engine holds more than I thought it did and didn't drain out.

TIA!

Matt

nuclearlemon
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
fill through the dipstick tube. not sure where, but i'd guess there's a plug somewhere to check level

Romer
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
It's on the drivers side below the brake booster. I stick a funnel in and fill it that way.

Thats about right amount of the rad fluid. Make sure you put some in the overflow bottle and check it for the next few weeks.

DaveInDenver
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
The mighty 22R-E takes about 2 gallons total of coolant for flush-n-fill. Like Romer says, it'll burp over the next few drives so make sure to keep the overflow filled and don't forget to turn the heat to hot to burp the heater core, too.

Corbet
03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
this is the best tool for burping a cooling system. I refer to it as the "magic funnel" Should be able to find it at your local parts store and well worth the money. The funnel attaches to your radiator like a standard cap.

http://www.handsontools.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Radiator-Funnel-Kit_p_5079.html

It allows you to fill the funnel 1/2 full while running the vehicle so as your cooling system burps coolant flows in without spilling. Then you stick the stopper in when done and remove the funnel. Pour extra into storage bottle.

TIMZTOY
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
this is the best tool for burping a cooling system. I refer to it as the "magic funnel" Should be able to find it at your local parts store and well worth the money. The funnel attaches to your radiator like a standard cap.

http://www.handsontools.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Radiator-Funnel-Kit_p_5079.html

It allows you to fill the funnel 1/2 full while running the vehicle so as your cooling system burps coolant flows in without spilling. Then you stick the stopper in when done and remove the funnel. Pour extra into storage bottle.

correct.. thats the funnel we all use in the shops .. its a spill free funnel. that allows you to burp the cooling system in a matter of minutes insteas of days... as soon as the thermostat opens and you have the heater on you should be good to go in a matter of 10- 20 minutes. if you swing by the pepboys off qubec and c470 you can borrow mine.. when your done use the stoper to plug the coolent and transfer it to the over flow tank to top it off.. then reinstall your radiator cap.. if your system burps more air.. the air goes into your overflow tank.. and the hose will siphons coolent into your radiator.. so make sure your over flow is always full..

corsair23
03-22-2010, 12:15 AM
1. I need to add some AT fluid. Where do I do this and how do I tell when it's full? I searched both the FSM and Mud for this, but didn't find anything. (I need to add some because I installed a new radiator -- those fittings at the bottom of the radiator are from the AT, right?)

AT dipstick/fill tube is directly behind the oil dipstick/fill tube, below the manifold, a little lower, and both of mine have red tops (vs. yellow on the oil dipstick). Like Ken says get a long, very skinny, funnel and fill it real slow or it will just back up and spill everywhere (DAMHIK :rolleyes:).

As for how to tell when it is full...I've found this to work for me (and what I used after doing a drain and fill and tranny pan replacement). Park it on a level spot and check it cold. Make sure the level is at least to the cold line. Now you need to go drive and get the tranny up to operating temp. I.E. a quick trip around the block is not hot enough. Pull in the garage or level spot, and with the truck still running, check the level to see where the level is compared to the hot line. Add a little bit of fluid, shift through the gears, and recheck. Note how much the level rose vs. the amount put in and adjust. Keep repeating this until you get the right level and I'd recheck it after a couple days and again a week later. If the level is really low though you'll feel it in the tranny. Can't say this is the best menthod but it is what worked for me :hill:

As for the AT cooler lines. The AT cooler is on the DS front of the radiator...You can follow the lines coming from the tranny to the cooler. I might be mistaken but I don't think the AT lines go from the AT cooler to the radiator :confused: - I thought it was one hose coming into the cooler, and then one hose leaving going back to the tranny but maybe the hose leaving the AT cooler then also routes to the bottom of the radiator.

As for the radiator...When I did my coolant flush folks here said to refill when the front of the truck pointed up (i.e. like up the driveway) and refill slowly and that would help burp it...Never had a problem.

I'd suggest though after running the rig for a few days, use a coolant tester to check what mix you are really at. After my flush I was too high on the coolant even though I swore I mixed it 50/50. I could tell in my coolant temps that the mix was off because I was running 5-10F hotter than before. I gradually brought the split to 50/50 by dumping what mix was in the overflow container and dumping in 100% distilled water and then rechecking the mix % a few days later. Temps came right back to expected levels, even a little cooler with the right mix. Too much coolant = running hot.

Hulk
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Cool. Thanks, guys. I'll keep an eye on the coolant. Jeff, what do you use to test the mix?

The hoses on the bottom of the radiator are definitely A/T -- I just looked at the FSM.

corsair23
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Jeff, what do you use to test the mix?

I use one of those cheapy Prestone coolant testers...Not sure how accurate they really are but works for me...Feel free to stop by and borrow it :thumb:

Romer
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I use one of those cheapy Prestone coolant testers...Not sure how accurate they really are but works for me...Feel free to stop by and borrow it :thumb:

Not sure why Matt would need that. It's for testing to see if your coolant is still good and needs changing

corsair23
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Not sure why Matt would need that. It's for testing to see if your coolant is still good and needs changing

I use it for checking what my coolant is "rated for" - i.e. if I am at the proper mix of 50/50 for -32F protection :dunno:

When I did my flush and fill I ended up more in the 60-70% antifreeze range vs. 50/50 and my temps reflected that. When I attained the proper mix my temps came back down to "normal" for me.

http://www.prestone.com/enlarged/images/prestoneAccessories0.jpg

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Those hygrometers tell you the ratio of coolant-to-water in your mix. The more coolant you have the higher the specific gravity and the higher the float (or floating balls of varying density).

BTW, Jeff, you realize that the specific gravity of anti-freeze is not linear and actually above 70% concentration with water starts to go down? Yeah, at 70% the specific gravity of propylene glycol + water has the same specific gravity as 35%. You really need to judge the accuracy of your tester with your own brain because if it seems odd it might just be odd.

http://www.k6jrf.com/AF_tstr.jpg

corsair23
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip Dave! So, you are saying that at a 70% + concentration of antifreeze things (like the tester) will start behaving as if it were only a 35% concentration? Good to know. I knew I was high on the coolant side but I was more in the 60% range. Now I am (or think I am) at 50/50 - Doesn't sound like you can get to 50/50 with too much coolant but you might wonder why you can't get it to come up by just adding more coolant to the mix :)

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip Dave! So, you are saying that at a 70% + concentration of antifreeze things (like the tester) will start behaving as if it were only a 35% concentration? Good to know. I knew I was high on the coolant side but I was more in the 60% range. Now I am (or think I am) at 50/50 - Doesn't sound like you can get to 50/50 with too much coolant but you might wonder why you can't get it to come up by just adding more coolant to the mix :)
Yes on the behavior. Although, don't use the numbers as exact but just an approximation. It's also only true for propylene glycol (e.g. the so called non-toxic anti-freeze, such as Sierra brand), not ethylene glycol.

pmccumber
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Those hygrometers tell you the ratio of coolant-to-water in your mix.

Or when to bottle. :D

Hulk
03-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I added some more 50/50 coolant mix this morning. When I checked the AT fluid, it was still full. I'll check it again tonight after I have driven 10 miles.

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Or when to bottle. :D
I was going through my mind the whole time... Oh yeah.

Romer
03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Those hygrometers tell you the ratio of coolant-to-water in your mix. The more coolant you have the higher the specific gravity and the higher the float (or floating balls of varying density).

BTW, Jeff, you realize that the specific gravity of anti-freeze is not linear and actually above 70% concentration with water starts to go down? Yeah, at 70% the specific gravity of propylene glycol + water has the same specific gravity as 35%. You really need to judge the accuracy of your tester with your own brain because if it seems odd it might just be odd.

http://www.k6jrf.com/AF_tstr.jpg

Thanks. That's good to know