PDA

View Full Version : Stupid 80's Question Pt II - Oil Filter

corsair23
03-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Ok, since Matt started this theme (luckily for me :hill:) I thought I'd see if I could best his stupid question with one of my own.

Changed the oil in the :Princess:'s 80 and the LX today. Everything went fine as usual except for I couldn't get the stupid oil filter off on the 80 :( - I went through this way back the first time I changed the oil in the 80 and resorted to the "punch a screwdriver through the oil filter" trick. I had no desire to relieve that utterly messy experience, and the :Princess: needed to be somewhere so I just filled the 80 up with fresh oil and sent her on her way until I could figure out what to do. The filter on the LX came off easy so I guess the last oil change I tightened the 80's filter just a tad too much (I follow the FSM recommended method of a 3/4 turn after the oil filter seal makes contact)

I hit Checker up later in the day and picked up a pair of oil filter wrench pliers:

I "think" I can get to the oil filer from below with these (definitely can't from the top) and I'm hoping that can loosen the oil filter just enough so I can get it off....

Now, for the stupid question. Can I change just the oil filter without having to drain the oil :confused: - I'm pretty clueless about the internal workings of an engine, and I know it'll make a mess but I'd really like to not have to buy another 8 qts of oil to replace the brand new stuff I just put in :o

Corbet
03-22-2010, 05:43 AM
yes, might have to top off with a half quart or so. Your old filter may have dirtied the new oil a little bt I would not worry much.

Hulk
03-22-2010, 08:47 AM
I'd leave it on and change it next time. It's going to be messy.

Bikeman
03-22-2010, 08:51 AM
I would not let a filter go 2 oil changes. I read some studies that an oil filter may go into bypass mode well before the oil change is due. That is the problem with running synthetic oil on higher mileage change intervals.

nakman
03-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Jeff this is the style of filter wrench that I have and think it works the best on the 80 out of all that I've tried.
http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00999833000%3Fhei%3D500%26wid%3D500%26op_sharpen%3D1&size=20&dhm=85afe2bc&hl=en

I probably got in a Checker, has a black handle. are you using the smaller 90915-20004 filters?

chtucker
03-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok, since Matt started this theme (luckily for me :hill:) I thought I'd see if I could best his stupid question with one of my own.

Changed the oil in the :Princess:'s 80 and the LX today. Everything went fine as usual except for I couldn't get the stupid oil filter off on the 80 :( - I went through this way back the first time I changed the oil in the 80 and resorted to the "punch a screwdriver through the oil filter" trick. I had no desire to relieve that utterly messy experience, and the :Princess: needed to be somewhere so I just filled the 80 up with fresh oil and sent her on her way until I could figure out what to do. The filter on the LX came off easy so I guess the last oil change I tightened the 80's filter just a tad too much (I follow the FSM recommended method of a 3/4 turn after the oil filter seal makes contact)

I hit Checker up later in the day and picked up a pair of oil filter wrench pliers:

I "think" I can get to the oil filer from below with these (definitely can't from the top) and I'm hoping that can loosen the oil filter just enough so I can get it off....

Now, for the stupid question. Can I change just the oil filter without having to drain the oil :confused: - I'm pretty clueless about the internal workings of an engine, and I know it'll make a mess but I'd really like to not have to buy another 8 qts of oil to replace the brand new stuff I just put in :o

I use those pliers, I just use them at an angle to get at the filter and loosen it up. I go from above... I haven't found a better solution. Make sure you have the right filter though. I usually end up crushing it using this method.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the filter off without making a mess... I seem to get oil all over the axle/brake hose.

TIMZTOY
03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=nakman;143325]http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00999833000%3Fhei%3D500%26wid%3D500%26op_sharpen%3D1&size=20&dhm=85afe2bc&hl=en

QUOTE]

i like the strap second best, only because it hase a tendensey to slip.. i prefer this claw style below most because it dose almost any car from close up on to your ratchet.. to your 3.4l were you can just add 2 feet of extentions and get to the filter from out side the tire, with out scratching the paint..

RicardoJM
03-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Jeff, I have the wrench that Nakman posted up. It has a nice swivel action that works well in hard to reach places. You are welcome to give it a go if you would like. You should be fine to just change the filter, but you will still have some spillage from the oil that is in the filter.

Uncle Ben
03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd leave it on and change it next time. It's going to be messy.

Change it everytime! Oil filters are cheap compared to what contaminants can do to your engine when the filters bypass is open!

nakman
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
i like the strap second best, only because it hase a tendensey to slip.. i prefer this claw style below most because it dose almost any car from close up on to your ratchet.. to your 3.4l were you can just add 2 feet of extentions and get to the filter from out side the tire, with out scratching the paint..

No way, really? I'm going to try that next time.. I just did my 3.4 yesterday, have gotten pretty good at leaning over the battery then feeling around down there with my left arm, but I wish there was a better way to clean up down there. Do you have to remove those rubber flaps to do this?

LARGEONE
03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I have tried the plier type when my filter wouldn't come off and it crushed the filter...ended up making as much of a mess as the screwdriver trick!!!

As for the mess, I usually drape several shop cloths or old t-shirts over everything underneath the filter and it really does help keep the oil off the axle and hoses.

I do not use a wrench when putting the filter back on. I can turn it by hand as far as the manual says to turn it (almost) and have never had a leak tightening by hand. This way, it usually comes off fairly easy as well.

gahi
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I really like this kind of oil filter wrench, but I've never used one of those claw style.
I've never had it fail to get one loose, I've crushed a few beyond recognition though. (But it came off)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZaglKCIwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One I have is leather strap.

wesintl
03-22-2010, 10:52 AM
hand tighten and then you can take it off with your hand.

corsair23
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Cool, thanks guys...

Figured it would make some mess but I've found those doggy potty training pads make GREAT oil soaker uppers :hill:

Checker had all the different types of wrenches including the strap version but the guy talked me into the pliers saying they worked the best :rolleyes:

I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens. And yes Tim, the filter on the 80 is the smaller Toyota filter that CDan sells...Problem is none of the cap type filter dealyos really fit them well and will just slip if you get the filter on too tight.

Romer
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I have 3 different kinds of wrenches. Now and then a hammer a screw driver through it and use that as leverage to get it to start turning when the wrenches can't quite get it done. Make sure the oil is drained and the pan is below.

SteveH
03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Nakman - yes, you can go through the fenderwell on a 3rd gen 4Runner (at least) to access the filter. I use and end-cap style filter wrench, but those tend to stick to the filter rather firmly. Just peel the flaps back. Wobble-type 3/8s socket extensions can be helpful here.