PDA

View Full Version : Now the Exhaust

pmccumber
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Ok, got a new bumper last weekend and couple questions to a bunch of guys I know have solved this:

1) Now that the tire is out of there, is there any compelling reason to keep the crossmember that holds the spare, much less the winch?

2) It looks like once that crossmember is gone, I can run the exhaust along the frame rail, is this flawed logic?

3) Any good exhaust benders in Boulder/Louisville? If it was Phoenix, "Mighty Muffler" would be the place.

Amazing how much loot I am dumping into that thing.

Paul

Beater
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
DO NOT lose any crossmembers back there. You actually need more. That's a large rear box, and adding a highmounted rear spare increases the flex back there.

I used to be able to flex my fame to body mounts by almost an inch using the leverage of the swing out on the frame with no additional bracing.

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Agreed on the frame members, but I would remove the spare tire hoist. On mini trucks that is a prime location for a second fuel tank.

powderpig
03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
It is not really a cross member as much as the support for the spare tire hoist. If you were putting a fuel tank, it would get removed.
Becareful where you dump the tail pipe other wise you could end up like Hants and melt a bunch of stuff.

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
It is not really a cross member as much as the support for the spare tire hoist. If you were putting a fuel tank, it would get removed.
Good point, but when you take off the hoist and cross member you bolt a tank between the frame members which replaces to some extent the cross over tie that you removed. If take off the hoist and bracket and replace it with nothing then the two frame sections are more free to twist.

powderpig
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
But Dave, the support is not really attached that well, nor with any type of structure of the metal. The fuel tanks are usually not attached to the side frame rails as much as the front and rear cross member that are true cross members and welded in.

corsair23
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Dump both the hoist and the support IMO :) - Throw the hoist up on MUD for sale - someone in the rust belt section will most likely jump on it. I had someone PM me asking to buy mine and I never even posted it for sale (just mentioned in a thread that I had removed it).

That's Slee's bumper correct? If you have the tow dealyo installed you'll have to remove the hoist and crossmember anyway to make room for the hitch supports.

DaveInDenver
03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
But Dave, the support is not really attached that well, nor with any type of structure of the metal. The fuel tanks are usually not attached to the side frame rails as much as the front and rear cross member that are true cross members and welded in.
Gotcha. I have never seen them up close and so working from assumptions. I just figured they would bolt in, at least partially, where the hoist bracket lived.

pmccumber
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Be careful you could end up like Hants

Isn't that what you really meant? ;) I can tease him cuz he gave me a Margarita that was evidently pure jet fuel last year as I was barely able to climb back into my rig after 1.5 of them.

I just thought running along the frame all the way to the back bumper would be the way to go. But that is impossible with that assembly that holds the tire up. I guess if others stuff gas tanks back there that would explain why running it along the frame is not the universal solution.

I've seen people tucking it out the side but even that leaves the thing vulnerable doesn't it?

Hulk
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I removed my spare tire "cross member" and hoist years ago. I certainly didn't see it as a structural element when I took it out.

60wag
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
After smacking the resonator on some rocks, I had the thing removed and a short section of angled pipe welded in. I like the clearance and the exhaust exit location but am not t0o fond of the exhaust whistle. If you do remove the resonator, I'd be happy to dispose of it for you :)

Bikeman
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm removing all that crap including the resonator and cutting 3.5" off my frame rails on the second cruiser in a about 2 weeks or less so if anyone wants the hoist or any corner pieces let me know. Hijack off.

60wag
03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I'll take the resonator if it's not trashed.

Beater
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
there's not a structural element. that's my point... I re-boxed my rear section and left my in.
sorry for not being clear.

TIMZTOY
03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
ive always removed my spare tire carrarer's but would always weld in a new cross member..

jacdaw
03-23-2010, 03:39 AM
As to your other question :D the guy who welds up the pipes at Meineke in Lafayette at Atlas Valley (95th & Arap, next door to Smash Burger, go at lunch time) did an awesome job on my exhaust.

2755 Dagny Way
Lafayette, CO 80026
(720) 250-9052