PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Canyon Test ride

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Went up Left hand canyon yesterday on a test drive of a new family purchase. Since we just got it i did not want to do anything tough and just wanted to see what it could do an need repaired or improved. And left hand was the closest place to try since it was getting late. It was sloppy and muddy due to the recent snow. I got about half way up and ran into a few folks trying to recover something. i say something because all i could see were headlights. it was way off the side of the trail. Take Tims predicament on the Ghost town run this past summer and put him about 2-3 feet further down the hill with his front pointed up hill. Not sure how this guy did not go all the way down on his top. There was a stock four runner and a new jeep trying to get him back up the hill to the trail and with the mud no luck. I had them chain the front off to the wire rope barrier post on the trail and another guy in the rear chain off his rear so when i hooked a winch to him i would not go with him if it went over. Was pretty hairy. Now i know how you guys felt on the GTR with Tim. It also helped me assess an recovery plan for this guy. Also for not knowing if the winch worked or not, just that the guy said it worked. Did not have all my recovery gear just tools the winch and a high lift. We had the guy get in and drive it up back on the trail as i winched and the other guy kept the line tight we were able to get him up. It was a pretty beat up Nissan pathfinder when i did get to see what it was. I would say a pretty good test drive to see how it works. Not many test drives you can get to test everything. Only pics were after I got him up and on the trail. Now i know not to go up left hand any more. There are some pretty scary folks that do that trail. I say that because i think this guy had a few to many to be on the trail and another guy went flying up on my way out in a trooper with kids in the back sliding all over the place. :eek:

Uncle Ben
03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Now i know not to go up left hand any more. There are some pretty scary folks that do that trail. I say that because i think this guy had a few to many to be on the trail and another guy went flying up on my way out in a trooper with kids in the back sliding all over the place. :eek:

Welcome to my back yard! Left Hand is one of those trail networks too close to town. The key to enjoying Left Hand is staying away from it on weekends! Glad it turned out OK! Sounds like they were all dang lucky you came by!

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes they were pretty lucky period. He was WAY off the side. The only thing holding him was the passenger side tire dug into the hill. If was hard pack and no mud he would of been at the bottom. They only had a few straps and chains also. I think i will keep my recovery gear with me at all times now.

Have to keep that in mind if i go back up there. Just work during the week keeps me away from the mountains. The guy in the trooper i would of thought coming down he would catch me as fast as he was going. Hope he got back safe.

nakman
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
And compound the problem with closures to Castle Gulch and Gillespie.. the more that gets closed the more traffic that finds its way to LH.

So you got a new winch, huh? what one?

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
got a whole new toy.... or jeep in this case

my uncle and i got a 81 scrambler that is pretty well set up. 37s lockers front and rear etc.... the winch came with it. this was a test run in it to see what i need to do to it.

Hulk
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Way to go, Kenny. You were a hero yesterday for sure.

Congrats on the new ride. We look forward to giving you a lot of crap about owning a Jeep. :D

wesintl
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
pics man! scramblers are cool even for j33ps :hill:

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Way to go, Kenny. You were a hero yesterday for sure.

Congrats on the new ride. We look forward to giving you a lot of crap about owning a Jeep. :D

Thanks. I am prepared..... (((its ok.... its ok....)))

Always been the odd ball anyway.

will be even more crap coming my way when the other 2 jeep go in my garage. working on those.

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
We named it Woodstock after the snoopy character. Always out on an adventure. Yesterday was one for sure.

Uncle Ben
03-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Eek! :eek: Holy Toledo... if it has Ford wheels, only has 4 letters in the name, and the rear end sits lower than the front....there can only be one and I don't understand it! ;) :hill:

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
It has Ford components. Something to get used to. Don't know much about them but i do know my Jeeps. Has a custom Y link up front so it looks like it sits up especially with the front fenders. May go down a tire size but have a few other things to work out first. This thing has it all. Get the little stuff fixed and go play. Can't wait ....

Uncle Ben
03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
It has Ford components. Something to get used to. Don't know much about them but i do know my Jeeps. Has a custom Y link up front so it looks like it sits up especially with the front fenders. May go down a tire size but have a few other things to work out first. This thing has it all. Get the little stuff fixed and go play. Can't wait ....

Very cool!

Red_Chili
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
We named it Woodstock after the snoopy character. Always out on an adventure. Yesterday was one for sure.
Freaking awesome. Congratulations!

I am sure I will get grief around here when I get a used 4-door JK a few years from now. :lmao:

Uncle Ben
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

I am sure I will get grief around here when I get a used 4-door JK a few years from now. :lmao:

Kenny can get away with it but you never could! While the FJC is more of a Taco than it is a Land Cruiser it's still more Cruiser than a poser Hi-Lux! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:

Hulk
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow, that thing is a beast! Congrats!!!

RockRunner
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice ride, like the cage a lot. Congrats on a nice rig.

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone. Glad to see nobody minds the NON Toyota in the crowd. A club member did say once as long as there was a toyota in the driveway all was good. haha. The cage is nice but makes it harder to get in the back since some of the bars are in the way. Cant wait to get the small stuff worked out and on the trail.

RedCreeper
03-22-2010, 10:28 PM

No worries i will have a shoulder that will be well worn when you do. haha.

((((its ok... its ok.... its ok))))):bowdown::bowdown:

Red_Chili
03-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Kenny can get away with it but you never could! While the FJC is more of a Taco than it is a Land Cruiser it's still more Cruiser than a poser Hi-Lux! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:
That would really bother me if I thought it was important to be anything like a cruiser...

:lmao:

Besides, mine is an RN61, not a HiLux. And it doesn't try to do a C-130 touch-and-go imitation on High Speed Mesa... :lmao:

SRT08BUS
03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Nice....for a jeep:rolleyes:..... can't wait to see it on a run!

Uncle Ben
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
That would really bother me if I thought it was important to be anything like a cruiser...

:lmao:

Besides, mine is an RN61, not a HiLux. And it doesn't try to do a C-130 touch-and-go imitation on High Speed Mesa... :lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :brick: touche! ;) :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bill:

RedCreeper
03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice....for a jeep:rolleyes:..... can't wait to see it on a run!

summer is a coming....

just have to fix a few things though...

farnhamstj
03-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Congrats on the new ride. Looks like you've got lots of room for kids and dogs in the back.

RedCreeper
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Congrats on the new ride. Looks like you've got lots of room for kids and dogs in the back.

Thanks. Just one Kid and One dog thank you. Just enough room. Still figuring out that part. Fritz is 25 pounds bigger than my last jeep dog i took everywhere in my CJ7. May be tight but i will work it out. Like all toys a work in progress.

farnhamstj
03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Can you fit a soft top over the cage or have some custom canvas top made? Are you gonna trailer it?

TIMZTOY
03-25-2010, 08:08 PM
just put a pair of toyota axles under it and its a toyota !! or at liest more of a toyota that a lot of rigs in the club :hill: i like it.. "just empty every pocket"

nakman
03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
just put a pair of toyota axles under it and its a toyota !! or at liest more of a toyota that a lot of rigs in the club :hill: i like it.. "just empty every pocket"

True, with some "Fix Or Repair Daily" parts sprinkled in! :lmao: :D

can't wait to see that out on the trail, Kenny! :cheers:

RedCreeper
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Can you fit a soft top over the cage or have some custom canvas top made? Are you gonna trailer it?

Got a soft top for it. Has a small rip but taped up and have not put it on. A bikini on it for now. Believe it or not it has heat and the wipers work. I will most likely trailer it on long trip like Moab. Local stuff i can drive it there weather permitting.

RedCreeper
03-25-2010, 10:42 PM

That my favorite saying. Had that on my last Jeep and got comments on it than the Summit Brothers Sucks sticker i created.

I have been thinking about toy axles under my other one but have to much invested in them and besides its a dynatrac 60 so not to worried. Not sure what toyota part i can manage to put on it but still thinking..... besides i dont think my uncle will like that one bit. i am the turn coat in the family with the FJC.

RedCreeper
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
True, with some "Fix Or Repair Daily" parts sprinkled in! :lmao: :D

can't wait to see that out on the trail, Kenny! :cheers:

Its got a built 302 with a C6 behind it and a 9 in rear so i got that covered.

weather permiting next week and i can get the steering fixed my uncle is coming with his scrambler... its brother there both yellow and he wants to see some of the trails i have been talking about. Not sure how long he will be here but if time permits and can get it all organized maybe we will be out there. any takers? he would love that being a jeep guy.