PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a used Kona Stinky tomorrow

74fj40
03-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Going to look at a used kona stinky tomorrow. The owner knows nothing about it and wants me to make an offer. could possibly be a good deal.

do you guys know anything about this bike? It will mostly be all mountain with some downhill use. I have heard nothing but good things about this bike.

Thanks, Max

Corbet
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
good bike. Just check the normal stuff for excessive wear. Drivertrain and suspension components. Look for damage to any of the frame pivot points.

Owner knows nothing about it? Is it stolen?

Bikeman
03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Look for slop in the rear suspension from cartridge bearings in the pivots. Also look for leaky shock seals and marks on the front stanction tubes of the shock. If you know how to look for worn drivetrain components such as a stretched chain and worn sprockets, that would be good, too.

It's a real crap shoot when looking at used DH or freeride bikes since most of them are ridden by punks who put them to bed wet.

If possible, you should bring it to the shop for me to look at for an evaluation. Jay (fubuki) did that with a Giant reign X and we spotted some stuff. Click the link in my sig to get the phone #. Good luck.

farnhamstj
03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
My friend got a used stinky, it's been a good bike. What year is it? that could help with an extimate on value. He paid $600 for his in excellent condition. As a general policy I'd avoid buying used unless you really know what you're looking at. You can easily spend a small fortune getting the drivetrain/shifting up to par. never mind having shocks rebuilt.
Take Mike up on his offer and have him look at it.

Bikeman
03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Another thing on price. A perfect used bike 3 years or newer is worth about half of retail. I can loose money selling a used high-end bike even at wholesale prices.

bustanutley
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
uggg, I hate stinkys.

74fj40
03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Whys that? to heavy?

74fj40
03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
BTW- Mike, would have brought it to you, but it was in westminster, and would have been quite the drive for me to go out there, bring it to you and then go all the way back...

either way, The bike was in pretty good shape so I bought it. needs some basic maintanence. but otherwise not to beat up

Also, still dont know the year or anything, The guy I bought it from recieved it as a gift from his grandparents as it was in their garage when they bought the house.

bh4rnnr
03-26-2010, 09:09 PM
BTW- Mike, would have brought it to you, but it was in westminster, and would have been quite the drive for me to go out there, bring it to you and then go all the way back...

either way, The bike was in pretty good shape so I bought it. needs some basic maintanence. but otherwise not to beat up

Also, still dont know the year or anything, The guy I bought it from recieved it as a gift from his grandparents as it was in their garage when they bought the house.

The Stinky came out around 98/99. Cant remember the exact dates... It was Konas first real attempt at Downhill. The next year they came out with the Stinky Dee-lux, one bad ass bike. For what it's worth, I ride a Sex-One.

You cant go wrong with Kona:cool:

:beer::beer:

74fj40
03-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Did a little research and found out I have an 03! http://www.klassickona.com/oldgold/2k3/2k3_stinky.cfm

Infact that is exactly what it looks like.

Thanks Perry, this looks like a good bike and I plan on getting some good use out of it this summer!