PDA

View Full Version : Headers for a 40

nattybumppo
03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Who likes what? Do I have to spend 500 for the fancy Manafre ceramic ones or are the cheaper ones by them or maybe the JK outfitters $200 ones OK?

corsair23
03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
How about the cheapers ones and then take them to someone local (like the place Red Chili used) and get them coated?

RicardoJM
03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
I have a header that I will be putting in my 40. I picked it up off CL and don't know it's pedigree or history. In my research, there is not a "must have" manufacturer of headers for the F/2F engines.

I am going to ceramic coat the header. The coating will be just under $200. The ceramic coating does two things; extends the life and keeps engine temps down. For me, it is worth the money - for others maybe not. I did this with headers that were installed on my Bronco a few years ago and have been very pleased with the results.

I am also planning on taking the intake manifold and header to a machine shop (don't know which one yet) to make sure they are flat and mate together well. This is extremely important to insure the installation is leak free.

frontrange
03-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I have a brand new one in box I'd like to get rid of. It's uncoated, but I know of at least one local shop that does ceramic coatings on headers. PM me if interested.

Air Randy
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM
There is probably a small difference in performance between the MAF design units and the less expensive JTO units, but you are talking about a 2F after all. You'll never notice the difference between them.

I have the JTO headers and they work just fine, decent quality, etc. If you want to spend the coin on ceramic go for it but it probably won't make them last much longer. They don't usually rust out, they crack eventually from vibration and the motor torquing around.

Dr. Schlegs
03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
You could rattle can them as well. I have done that with the exhaust on my 80. Hell of a lot cheaper. Stick them in your oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees and your good to go. Don't forget to preheat the oven of course. :lmao:

MDH33
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I have the cheap, older Man-a-fre headers on my 2F. They seem to work great and the 2F in my 40 which is desmogged and sporting the headers is much more lively than any other 2F I've owned. Although, when these headers finally crack, I'll probably be going back to the OEM setup so that I can fit my PTO driveline.

subzali
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
And adding to that, Martin's 40 can outrun my 40. Mine is the stock setup on 31" Goodyear MT/Rs, he's on 34" Super Swampers. There are probably other factors, but this may be one of them. YMMV

farnhamstj
03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
I had a Downey 6-1 header. No coating. I think it was about $200. Great upgrade over stock. Never had overheating problems. Worked well with the saganaw steering. I believe Downey is no longer but perhaps someone knows where it came from. Having Mark rebuild and work some magic on my carb was another great improvement, better than the header. Also about $200

Hulk
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I am also planning on taking the intake manifold and header to a machine shop (don't know which one yet) to make sure they are flat and mate together well. This is extremely important to insure the installation is leak free.

My old buddy Steve Hansen from Windy City Land Cruisers always used 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, stacked, to seal up the leaks when installing headers. He swore this helped seal everything up.

farnhamstj
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
There's one in the FS section.

74fj40
04-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I used a really thick gasket on my 40 when I put headers on. it was pretty expensive($50?) but definitely worthit If your interested PM and I will try and figure out who I bought it from and who used it.

My F engine not only sounds much healithier but has much better high end performance, made a big difference on the highway.

Air Randy
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I used a really thick gasket on my 40 when I put headers on. it was pretty expensive($50?) but definitely worthit If your interested PM and I will try and figure out who I bought it from and who used it.

My F engine not only sounds much healithier but has much better high end performance, made a big difference on the highway.

Sounds like a REMFLEX gasket, they're supposed to be one of the best.

Rezarf
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
My old buddy Steve Hansen from Windy City Land Cruisers always used 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, stacked, to seal up the leaks when installing headers. He swore this helped seal everything up.

I did this with great success too, make sure to use copper spray gasket material on both sides of both gaskets.

Drew

74fj40
04-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a REMFLEX gasket, they're supposed to be one of the best.

Thats it Randy! :D

I would recommend a remflex exhaust gasket before doubling up. probably cheaper too.

Good luck!