PDA

View Full Version : First weld with the Millermatic 211

Corbet
03-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Finally had a chance to test the new welder. Here is the first weld. Ok not the first, but my first after remembering to turn on the shielding gas:o

nuclearlemon
03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
lol...i've forgotten the gas before...kept thinking the stuff i was welding must've been really dirty:lmao:

isn't it a blast welding with a good welder! the best advice i've ever gotten from christo was never buy a cheap welder because all it does is cause frustration and make you not want to weld...he was 100% correct:thumb:

Corbet
03-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm happy I spent the money I did. Wish I could have spent even more. Right now I'm running it on 115v. Can't wait to get 230 wired into the garage so I can bump up the heat.

TIMZTOY
03-27-2010, 08:03 PM
yea ive got a new miller 180 w/ autoset i bought in keywest.. thats a 220v 30a and i cant even use it because i dont even have a garage with 220v right now :( the welder is in my living room aparntment just staring at me taunting me saying hahahaha..

RockRunner
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Corbet, can you tie into your dryer power? That is what I did and it works great. Just drilled a hole from the wash room into the garage and wired in the garage power.

Another thing you can do is if your 220 is to far or not next to your garage is get an extension cord. I would make your own, that will also come in handy when you do get the garage wired, you'll be able to work on stuff outside or take the welder all the way around your rig.

Just some things to think about. Hope I was able to help you.;)

Oh your weld looks good:thumb:. I had the wires inverted on mine, same type of thing as no shielding gas.:o Switched them and voila much better welds.:D

TIMZTOY
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
most dryer's are 20amp and most welders are 30 amp so that wont work.. diffrent plugs..

nuclearlemon
03-28-2010, 08:12 AM
plugs are easy to switch out;)

Uncle Ben
03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
most dryer's are 20amp and most welders are 30 amp so that wont work.. diffrent plugs..

Not an issue! Since you are making an extension cord anyway simply put a dryer plug on one end and a welder plug on the other.

Blackdiamond72
03-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Wiring up a 50 amp 220 circuit is very easy, don't cheap out, do it right. 10ga orange romex and a dual pull breaker. You'll be happy you did it right and future code inspectors will appreciate it as well.

DaveInDenver
03-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice Corbet, very nice.

Taunt me with your fancy welder and 220V why don't ya? Been wanting a welder for years! I ran electricity to our garage a few years ago finally (when the engine died and was going spend time rebuilding, seemed smart) and at least have lights out there. I generously rated it for 15A...

Corbet
03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I would need a 100' extension cord to go from my dryer outlet to the detached garage so I'm not going to go that direction. I got the 211 because it will run on either power source. My immediate needs do not require more power so I'll get to the 230 circut when time allows and do it right.

I need to build a work bench in the garage for a place to work. Mount my bench grinder and vise etc... Next week I'm off from work and look forward to the time to play with some steel.

frontrange
03-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Years ago I bought a very old Hobart TIG. It's from the late 50's - a little older than me but it still works like new (wish I could say as much) . 300 amps and water cooled it welds aluminum castings all day long. But it's as big as a fridge.

MDH33
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Very cool Corbet. I was just browsing the Miller website this week daydreaming about that set up. :thumb:

Trapper50cal
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Nice weld corb

no whip out what you need to so we can get working on my sliders and Jon's ladder....Chop Chop!

jk man

TIMZTOY
03-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Wiring up a 50 amp 220 circuit is very easy, don't cheap out, do it right. 10ga orange romex and a dual pull breaker. You'll be happy you did it right and future code inspectors will appreciate it as well.

Correct. Do it right the first time. And run a dedacated line.

RockRunner
03-28-2010, 08:26 PM

I tied into the box, not a plug in. I checked the power and we have 40 amps for some reason. The way our house is wired is kind of strange anyway.

RockRunner
03-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I need to build a work bench in the garage for a place to work. Mount my bench grinder and vise etc... Next week I'm off from work and look forward to the time to play with some steel.

I may be able to help you with a work bench. What size are you looking for? They get rid of some nice benches and I have two myself. Some are wood tops others are wood covered with heavy laminate.

Bummer you have such a long distance from power but then again you can work at night without anybody complaining like my :Princess:. Bedroom is above the garage.

TIMZTOY
03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I tied into the box, not a plug in. I checked the power and we have 40 amps for some reason. The way our house is wired is kind of strange anyway.

sweet..

Corbet
03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
I may be able to help you with a work bench. What size are you looking for? They get rid of some nice benches and I have two myself. Some are wood tops others are wood covered with heavy laminate.

I've got room for probably 20' worth of bench. I'm iterested in additional details. At our condo in Frisco I used some countertop material. It worked well and reasonalbly cheap.