PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an Old Laptop - Another cruiser mod

Romer
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I replaced Rachel's laptop last year and I had this 4 year old laptop lying around. I took it on trips like Moab and the Black Hills. It still works fine for the web and most office type applications.

I had a Dell Pocket PC I used as a GPS. The one thing I didn't like is it provided a small view based on its screen. When I expanded out it was hard to see.

So I researched computer mounts and seemed a lot of people had success with the RAM Mount III.

I went ahead and installed the setup. Using it for GPS and detecting wifi spots. In addition to my company provided broadband card, it provides a lot of flexibility on the road to surf the internet, look up my PDF engine repair manual, use MS Office for anything needed and to use for GPS for on and off road. I can also watch movies (Not while I am driving). So I also bought a 12V plug for the laptop to run off one of my aux ports

Not sure how much punishment it can take so I will try it out at Moab. If I like having the laptop and this doesn't hold up, I can get one of those smaller tough books.

If I don't like it, I can go back to my PocketPC setup

The RAM Mount was fairly simple to install, kind of a PIA though the way You had to drop nuts down a hole and shove something in it to hold it in place while you ran a screw from the other side.

The base has a spring that slides to open different sized laptops and keeps it in place

Pretty stable setup. It does vibrate a little bit, but thats to be expected.

Romer
04-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I can take the top part off easily and the base really doesn't get in the way of the passenger.

With the laptop installed, you can still fit a passenger, just part of the laptop is in their space

RockRunner
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Nice, I have one for my Dodge. Ram mount also and it is easy to use like you said. Last year going to CM I had it set up with my Garmin GPS, worked like a charm not to mention the Verizon wireless. Had to keep up with the forum to see what was happening in Moab.

Your mount should be pretty sturdy, mine is taller so it will move a little on rough roads. Enjoy your new toy!

farnhamstj
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Cool

nuclearlemon
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
nice

rover67
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
The laptops I have used in cars a lot have done great, but the screen hinges tend to wear out from the screen flopping around. Is there any way to support the screen, or is it already supported by that bracket in a way I can't see?

Looks like fun BTW.. especially for GPS.

Hulk
04-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Very slick. You can moderate the 80s forum while cruising at 88 miles an hour. :)

FJBRADY
04-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Dude you look like a cop!

Romer
04-02-2010, 07:52 AM
The laptops I have used in cars a lot have done great, but the screen hinges tend to wear out from the screen flopping around. Is there any way to support the screen, or is it already supported by that bracket in a way I can't see?

Looks like fun BTW.. especially for GPS.

You can see on my setup there is a support bracket from the back that hooks to the top of the screen to hold it in place. It's bolted to the back of the RAM mount and is the black curvy thing you can see with the lid closed

RockRunner
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Mine doesn't have the screen holder and it does vibrate every once in a while but nothing serious. Now off-road is another story.

rover67
04-06-2010, 09:56 AM
You can see on my setup there is a support bracket from the back that hooks to the top of the screen to hold it in place. It's bolted to the back of the RAM mount and is the black curvy thing you can see with the lid closed

I was wondering if that's what that thing was, looks good!

AxleIke
04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Ken, that is so cool! I've always thought something like that would be the cats meow, just haven't had the fundage for it, and too many other things on the list.

Congrats on a VERY cool mod dude!