PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap Complete

ttubb
04-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, I have the 3.4 in the 4Runner, running great, good temps, all systems working well (including A/C) so I must have figured the wire splices correctly. Goes like a rocket compared to the 3.0.

I was not able to use the stock air box so I had to go with K&N, which is NOT my favorite air filter for all the reasons you already know.

The only issue is a very noisy power steering pump. I used the 3.4 pump with the previous system. There is a restrictor in the pressure line from the previous pump which I think is not required for the newer pump. I will remove that Monday and see if the howl goes away. Comments requested.

ARBs going in F&R next Tuesday, finish some details (radio installations) and then test for Moab! :thumb::thumb:

TIMZTOY
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
pic's

ttubb
04-02-2010, 07:04 AM
pic's

Here ya go......

FJBRADY
04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Very nice Terry!

I think Moab Rim, Pritchett, and Behind the Rocks will be the test for you :thumb: I'll see you in Moab!

Hulk
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Looks really clean!

MDH33
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Very nice Terry. Did you have to custom configure the wiring, or was there a kit?

MountainGoat
04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Dang that is nice! :drool::drool::drool:

rover67
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Can't wait to see it in person! looks great!

Rezarf
04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Awesome, there is a whole lot of work in that one pic :D

Uncle Ben
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Very nice Terry! Love the clean "like it came from the factory" look! :thumb::thumb:

Jacket
04-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Very cool. Looks like it was meant to be there. All hail the :bowdown: 3.4

farnhamstj
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
cool

ttubb
04-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Very nice Terry. Did you have to custom configure the wiring, or was there a kit?

I did the "wiring diagram" splice. I went to the Toyota site and pulled both the 91 and 96 general diagrams, along with specific ECM and system diagrams. I matched functions and power sources to ensure the engine harness would interface with the body harness. I had the complete 96 4Runner to work with so it made it much easier than just getting an engine and ECM. Having both vehicles side by side was a HUGE help and I would advise anyone doing this swap to buy the entire vehicle before starting.

I now have a bunch of 96 4Runner parts (5 speed, wheels from a Tundra, rear axle, new rack and pinion, rear axle and many other parts.

The YotaTech website has a section dedicated to this swap with much good info. Anyone with questions I can answer, let'r rip. I made a spreadsheet of the splices I did with the wiring harnesses, which I will share. It is year specific. Terry

Red_Chili
04-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Terry, Yeah, you need to remove the restrictor. Something else: the 5VZ power steering pump is weak for an IFS steering box / crossover steering application. It will die suddenly and without warning (just leaves you with Armstrong steering; its life might be helped with something like Royal Purple PS fluid and a cooler but... I dunno).

PSC sells a power steering pump kit that takes care of that and more (will drive a ram if you decide on that). I had some troubles with mine whining above 3K RPM, but it turns out it was a failing bearing that PSC took care of for $20 (plus shipping which wasn't too bad).

I also don't like K&N, so when I was looking for ways to spend my 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse gift card, I stumbled upon a dry conical filter that does a much better filtering job (AFE). Washable, too. I also run a K&N foam overfilter, to catch all the nasties, and preoil it with No-Toil Oil (learned from the motorcycle world. WONDERFUL stuff, VERY tacky, and VERY easy to clean with water and their cleaning powder and nitrile gloves).

ttubb
04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Terry, Yeah, you need to remove the restrictor. Something else: the 5VZ power steering pump is weak for an IFS steering box / crossover steering application. It will die suddenly and without warning (just leaves you with Armstrong steering; its life might be helped with something like Royal Purple PS fluid and a cooler but... I dunno).

PSC sells a power steering pump kit that takes care of that and more (will drive a ram if you decide on that). I had some troubles with mine whining above 3K RPM, but it turns out it was a failing bearing that PSC took care of for $20 (plus shipping which wasn't too bad).

I also don't like K&N, so when I was looking for ways to spend my 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse gift card, I stumbled upon a dry conical filter that does a much better filtering job (AFE). Washable, too. I also run a K&N foam overfilter, to catch all the nasties, and preoil it with No-Toil Oil (learned from the motorcycle world. WONDERFUL stuff, VERY tacky, and VERY easy to clean with water and their cleaning powder and nitrile gloves).

Thanks for the info, Bill. If you happen to have the make and P/N of the filter, I would appreciate it. I found the PSC site. The restrictor comes out on Monday. Don't know if I will have time to do the PSC kit prior to Moab. Hope the pump lasts til then. Terry