PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do Next?

LETSROLL
04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I got the ARB front bumper last week from Slee. Man, it looks good! So, now I need to figure out what's next. I sort of have a working plan:

1. Slee Rear Bumper
2. Slee 4" lift
3. New Tires (BFG ATs?)
4. Winch
5. Drawer System
6. Upgrade Stereo with Nav System
7. Onboard Air
8. Aux Fuel Tank
9. HAM

I sure could use some help making sure I do things in the right order. Thanks!

Romer
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Do you have sliders? That should be next along with the Tcase skid palte and the AC dryer skid plate to attach to the bootom of the arb bumper.

Lift would be next. The Slee 4" lift is a great setup, but that much lift requires lots of extra stuff that I believe Christo includes in his kits. You could start with a 2" OME lift and then do 33" tires. Depends on your finances. If you can afford to go 4", then go for it.

nakman
04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Do the ham radio next. That other stuff could take years, don't put off better communication in the mean time.

Corbet
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I would not race off and get the lift next either.

Sliders
skids
Ham
Fridge
295 will fit no lift
winch

did you do the pin 7?

LETSROLL
04-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift. I can definately see the sliders and the skids. My thought process is/was I need new tires in the next 10,000 miles and I shouldn't buy tires that don't look/feel right after I do the lift. The rear bumper was next because that would be the correct sprung weight for the new geometry of the lift. It's all so dependent on other stuff. Very confusing....

farnhamstj
04-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Just open your wallet and let the money fall out. If I had that bumper I'd do winch and recovery gear next. Then sliders, then air,ham, then tires, If you get big enough tires that you need a lift then you will also need to regear. Budget $2500 ro regear if you plan on anything bigger than 33's

There is no "right order to do things in" I sugest you wheel it as is then see what you you feel you don't have, or where you struggle. Lifts and tires will get you more stuck and you'll need a good way to unstick yourself. A bone stock locked 80 can run Golden Spike.
It's your rig, build it how you like but the $2000 spent on a rear bumper could be spent much more wisely in my experience.

Airing tires down is the single best "off-road" upgrade there is and it's free. Then you need a way to air back up.

Romer
04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift. I can definately see the sliders and the skids. My thought process is/was I need new tires in the next 10,000 miles and I shouldn't buy tires that don't look/feel right after I do the lift. The rear bumper was next because that would be the correct sprung weight for the new geometry of the lift. It's all so dependent on other stuff. Very confusing....

Maybe this will help. This is what happens when you offroad without sliders. Thats real expensive to fix. With sliders, skid plates and no lift you have the front bumper and sliders to protect you.

I got a few dings on my rear bumper, but that gets trashed when you sawp out to a Slee or other rear bumper later.

Corbet
04-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It would help to know your immediate budget as well as future budget. For me this truck has been a work in progress over the last 3 years. I have everything on your list minus the lift, rear bumper, and drawers. But I do have a gettolicious platform with a fridge slide:hill:

Like Farnham said a stock 80 can go many places if its protected. I run Moab trails rated up to a 6 generally. I don't take the easy line over everything either.

I'm at the point now where I need the lift. My stock springs are getting very tired. I probably sit 1-1.5" below stock spring height. Part of it is due to the extra weight on my rig. So the lift is next on my list.

If you need tires soon you can fit 295's with no lift. If your budget is similar to mine then you very well might wear them out before you can afford the lift anyway. Or 295's won't look bad with a 2.5" and a few run them with 4".

Jacket
04-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Sliders!

powderpig
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Where is your maintaince level at? Have you based lined all the fluids, front and rear axle service, coolant related stuff? If not I would base line all the stuff you can before you spend the money on goodies.

wesintl
04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
sell it and buy a 100 ;)

farnhamstj
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
That might be the smartest thing I've seen on this board yet. I always knew Wes was a smart guy.

LETSROLL
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Great advice guys. I'll go for the Sliders and Skid Plates first. After that I'm sure Ill be checking in again to see what the advice is. Thanks for the feedback!

TIMZTOY
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM
1.Ham
2.Sliders
3.Winch (and recovery kit)
4.Lift
5.Tires (i'd do MT's)
6.Sterio
7.Air
8.Rear bumper
9.Drawer's
10.Tank's

i would deffentlly get the ham ASAP there is no point in putting off good comunication and its pretty cheap.. then id do sliders to prevent future damage.. then a winch for extractions... then when your almost bald bald.. get your lift and tires at the same time.. the rear can waite. you can always put a full spare on the roof.. PITA but do-able :hill:

Corbet
04-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Great advice guys. I'll go for the Sliders and Skid Plates first. After that I'm sure Ill be checking in again to see what the advice is. Thanks for the feedback!

If you don't have a fridge I'd strongly recommend that after sliders/skids. It is by far my wife's favorite mod. Once you have one you wonder how you ever lived without it.

LARGEONE
04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
The rear bumper would definitely be low on the list. I promise you will have plenty of weight in the back of the truck...just with all the goodies you bring when you go on a trip!

Skid plates
Sliders
Good Tires
Good Driver

You can go nearly everywhere with just the three things above.

LARGEONE
04-04-2010, 10:05 AM
With that said...I'm really jonesin' for a 4" lift and 35" tires; however, the 1" extra of lift will likely cost more than I paid for the truck!!! You gotta add in the new gears, sometimes longer drive shafts, etc. In my case, I'd have to add lockers at the same time as the new gears since mine is still open! That's a lot of money!

Uncle Ben
04-04-2010, 10:19 AM
1. recovery and safety gear
2. Communication
3. maintainance done
4. Sliders - underbelly armor
5. pin 7 mod
6. lift
7. tires
8. rear bumper
9. winch
10. Latte maker

Uncle Ben
04-04-2010, 10:20 AM
With that said...I'm really jonesin' for a 4" lift and 35" tires; however, the 1" extra of lift will likely cost more than I paid for the truck!!! You gotta add in the new gears, sometimes longer drive shafts, etc. In my case, I'd have to add lockers at the same time as the new gears since mine is still open! That's a lot of money!

Yup, going to 33's is reasonable cheap but jumping to 35's is a costly upgrade.

corsair23
04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Yup, going to 33's is reasonable cheap but jumping to 35's is a costly upgrade.

Yes...yes it is :eek:

I'm with many of the others...Assuming all the baselining is done ('cuz that alone can be major :twocents: itself) sliders and underbelly protection including the AC drier protection are a good next step. If your going to run trails with folks then com gear (CB & HAM is best).

Then think long and hard about the lift and tires. Everyone told me when I first got my LX that I would want to go to 35" tires. I scoffed :hill: - But that is where I am heading now but it is EXPENSIVE to get there if done right. I've been perfectly happy for the last 4 years running a 2.5" OME lift and 285s. Going to 315s requires more lift (+ more work underneath like extended brake lines, caster concerns, driveshaft concerns, etc) gears (some get away without them but IMO you need 4.88s min to do it right), etc. and you could easily drop $4k just on the lift and gears before you even start picking out tires. The reality though is that an 80 looks 100% better sitting on 315s than 285s :)

If you have the funds to jump into everything on your list plus the baselining and sliders etc. go for it.

DaveInDenver
04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift.
Only speaking for me very little of the things I do with my truck make lift necessary. I needed strong rear springs for the camper and only run a couple of inches of suspension lift and got through the Rubicon reasonably OK.

My $0.02 on mods:

Bull bar (front bumpers are mostly for deer IMVHO)
Sliders
AT or mild MT Tires (in stockish size)
Radios
Fridge
Winch
Lift, lockers, gears, big tires, blah, blah

I was most happy with my truck at the ARB bumper/30x9.50 tires/radio point and if I'd have added a fridge in ~2004 when I did with the lockers & gears and 33" tires I might never have done lockers, gears and 33" tires. Hindsight is 20-20 I suppose.

But it depends on the purpose of the truck, mine gets me to work, to base camp for skiing/riding/climbing/hiking and what-not, so it just hasn't been well spent money to dump boatloads into it. Not to mention the Monday morning availability aspect seriously precludes intentionally thrashing and breaking my truck. I can think of a dozen things right now that I really could use that $4,000 back for the Air Lockers, 33" MTs and Marlin gears.

Nay
04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
The reality though is that an 80 looks 100% better sitting on 37s than 315s :)

Fixed it for 'ya :D

You should definitely lift it and go straight to 37's and do it once ;). It's the only thing that will put a big grin on your face at this point for the coin you are going to drop.

Just stay out of really big stuff until you get the sliders.

LETSROLL
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
What exactly do you mean by baseline all the fluids? I'm down with making sure the truck's key systems are all nominal, but is there a way to objectively define that?

Where is your maintaince level at? Have you based lined all the fluids, front and rear axle service, coolant related stuff? If not I would base line all the stuff you can before you spend the money on goodies.

wesintl
04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't think there is a best way to do mods. you pick what is best for you.

On my wife's 80 i did

fridge - moved from my other cruisers
tires 285's
ome lift
Arb bar
winch
ham i'll probably have this month - although i have a handheld I used in in last summer but It'll get a mobile ham.
no sliders - as long as im running family trails and paying attention i should be fine.
I didn't want a rear bumper yet because I don't want to swing out the tire every time we get groceries. The hitch has taken most of the impacts and that was non lifted. i'd love drawers but I choose to keep doing other things. IMHO they are expensive for what they are. Hopefully christo has a nice cost solution soon.

It really depends on the trails you want to run...

baslining the fluids is changing the coolant, ps fluild, oil, atf, diffs, case, replacing cracked hoses, spark plugs, wires, belts, packing the wheelbearings, birfs, etc.

Corbet
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
and often the fan clutch

nakman
04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Baselining fluids just means establishing a new starting point for all your fluid change intervals. Since it's often unknown when the previous owner changed what, you just change it all now so any new PM interval is just starting now. engine oil, transmission fluid exchange, gear oil in both diffs and t-case, brake fluid, PS fluid, and coolant.

TIMZTOY
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
It does look like everyone does agree on one thing and that's bein that ham radio is at the top if not first thing on the list. :thumb:

Hulk
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Sliders and Ham. Sounds like a delicious meal. Speaking of meals, you might want to add the "Snackster" to your list.

You can easily do most trails with a 2.5" OME lift and 285s (33" tires). Bonus: It will also still drive and handle close to stock. I highly recommend starting with this unless you are building a dedicated wheeler or know for sure that you want to start with 35s.

I love my 4" Slee lift and 315s when I'm on the trail, but it's definitely been a trade-off in terms of on-road manners. Plus, my wife hates getting in it now and the kids struggle with the height.

LETSROLL
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Hulk,

I was thinking of your truck and the lift when I started my thought process. the 4" lift is definately cool. Interesting to hear you talk about the on/off road manners though...

I think I'll "downgrade" my upgrade to the 2.5" OME. Starting with "baseline" all my maintenance items is wise. Resived list is:

1 Baseline maintenance
2 AC Dryer protection
3 Skid plate
4 Sliders
5 Winch
6 HAM/NAV system
7 OME 2.5"
8 BGFs
9 Rear Bumper

Sliders and Ham. Sounds like a delicious meal. Speaking of meals, you might want to add the "Snackster" to your list.

You can easily do most trails with a 2.5" OME lift and 285s (33" tires). Bonus: It will also still drive and handle close to stock. I highly recommend starting with this unless you are building a dedicated wheeler or know for sure that you want to start with 35s.

I love my 4" Slee lift and 315s when I'm on the trail, but it's definitely been a trade-off in terms of on-road manners. Plus, my wife hates getting in it now and the kids struggle with the height.