PDA

View Full Version : water jet & bend 14 gauge steel ?

TIMZTOY
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
anyone know were i can get a trailer tub made up at ? seeing as alot of people in the club were giving me a hard time about wanting to chop up my M416 trailer..:hill: so i decided to keep it togther and make one from scratch if i can get the tub parts made cheaply. so i went ahead and drew up a trailer in autocad. but now im needing to find a sheet metal shop that can get 14 gauge steel water jet, sheer'd, and bent ?

MDH33
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Tim, if I were you and had an M416, I would do whatever the heck I wanted with it and wouldn't really care if anyone gave me a hard time about cutting it up or customizing it. It's your trailer dude. :thumb:

corsair23
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Tim, if I were you and had an M416, I would do whatever the heck I wanted with it and wouldn't really care if anyone gave me a hard time about cutting it up or customizing it. It's your trailer dude. :thumb:

Shhhhhh...

Don't listen to him Tim...You know you need to sell that nice M416 to your friendly club Treasurer :D

Inukshuk
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
My friend Scott owns http://www.emjd.com/. They can do it, but not cheap I think. Also, have you contacted Nathaniel Miller?
No matter what, it costs to cut and bend metal. Esp one-offs because they have to program the machines.

TIMZTOY
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
My friend Scott owns http://www.emjd.com/. They can do it, but not cheap I think. Also, have you contacted Nathaniel Miller?
No matter what, it costs to cut and bend metal. Esp one-offs because they have to program the machines.

dont know who nathaniel miller is.. so no..

and another reason i dont really want to cut up the m416 i have is because its already been rynolined.. and its very very difficult to either sand blast or grind the steel to prep it for painting.. and its going to be hard to match the sprayin bed liner because i dont know what brand it is.. (i know just spray the whole thing..) thats not the delima..:hill:

Inukshuk
04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
dont know who nathaniel miller is.. so no..

RS member extraordinaire Groucho

TIMZTOY
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
RS member extraordinaire Groucho

What's his area of expertes ? Or busniess ? Does he own a shop ? Or just know who to go to ?

corsair23
04-07-2010, 03:02 PM
What's his area of expertes ? Or busniess ? Does he own a shop ? Or just know who to go to ?

Going to the meeting tonight? You could chat with him in person :thumb: - Some trade secrets we just don't put on the forum :hill:

frontrange
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
You should be able to make a very nice trailer with nothing but a Plasma cutter and welder. Back in the day before plasma cutters a friend of mine used to build them for a living with nothing but an Oxy Acel rig and a buzz box and his work was beautiful. IMHO If your design needs a waterjet and an industrial brake I'd say there's something wrong with your design.

TIMZTOY
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't have a plasma YET, or I would

frontrange
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
These days you can get a 50 amp Chinese import shipped to your door for under $300. I have one and it gets the job done. Should pay for itself on this one project. The only waterjet machine I've seen must have cost deep into 6 figures, I'd expect the hourly rate to program and run one of those is going to be a lot of cabbage...

rover67
04-08-2010, 11:49 PM
like he says you could just cut it up with a torch and weld it all up in panels....

Air Randy
04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
These days you can get a 50 amp Chinese import shipped to your door for under $300. I have one and it gets the job done. Should pay for itself on this one project. The only waterjet machine I've seen must have cost deep into 6 figures, I'd expect the hourly rate to program and run one of those is going to be a lot of cabbage...

What brand/model did you get and from where?

TIMZTOY
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM
thats what i said (in pm) the cheapest iveseen is like 800

rover67
04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2688&_nkw=plasma+cutter&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

I bet you could score one cheap..

frontrange
04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
What brand/model did you get and from where?

I got a new CUT50 off of Ebay from a Denver seller that doesn't appear to be around anymore. But I saw some others on Ebay yesterday that were just under $300 with shipping.

Oppps - Sorry I just looked again and its $399 w/free shipping. Memory is one of the first things to go with age.... Still it's a bargain for a no fuss way to make small pieces of metal out of big pieces of metal.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my year old CUT50 I could be convinced to upgrade. There's a couple of features I miss that you don't get on the cheap imports, like continuous pilot to make cutting expanded steel easier.

Rezarf
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I went the custom route.

If it would help I could come over and make your first cuts! :D :hill:

I would make your 416 into whatever you want...

TIMZTOY
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
well i would make it what ever i want, but a friend and i went in on it.. 50/50 and i know he'd love to buy my half.. and because if the spray in lyner it would just make modifications more time consuming than needed.. and as it turns out. the tub is not going to cost as much as i was planning.. for 100%new.. and if i cut it with a plasma it will be cheaper.

DaveInDenver
04-12-2010, 07:04 AM
He runs Epocs Manufacturing. Roughly 50 or so machinists and fabricators I think, world class equipment. There is pretty much nothing he can't build in the shop. You see his work all over the Cruiser world even if you don't know it.

http://www.epocs.com/

Rezarf
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
He runs Epocs Manufacturing. Roughly 50 or so machinists and fabricators I think, world class equipment. There is pretty much nothing he can't build in the shop. You see his work all over the Cruiser world even if you don't know it.

http://www.epocs.com/

Every cruiser-head should take a tour of Epoc... its simply an amazing business. Not only that but Bruce and Nathaniel are TOP NOTCH! :D